The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disparity of biography articles
Encyclopedist
post Wed 8th February 2012, 12:46am
Post #41

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,944

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 12th May 2010, 7:08pm) *

Wikipedia's problems are not much different from the problems of the open-source software world.

A friend send me this link today. Typical story, unfortunately.
Who gives a shit. If you don't pay for it, and you don't contribute code to it, you're a drone at best and should be ignored.

I write open source because I feel like it (an itch to scratch) and in hopes that other people will make software that I use better. If other people want to use it then that's cool but affects me not at all negatively or positively.

Sounds like David Gerard, JzG or Rodhullandemu, doesn't it?

I have never written Open Source software, don't have the time to do so, and since my former profession (one of them at least) is as a software developer, for which I got the paperwork at enormous personal expense (I paid my own way through a degree course), I'm disinclined to do it for free. Would you design and give an amp with a twin-EL34->twin-807 output stages with a THD of <0.01% and RMS output of 300W t someone for nothing, even if you loved them? Neither would I.

So, er, it doesn't sound like me at all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vigilant
post Wed 8th February 2012, 12:49am
Post #42

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,684

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Encyclopedist @ Wed 8th February 2012, 12:46am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 12th May 2010, 7:08pm) *

Wikipedia's problems are not much different from the problems of the open-source software world.

A friend send me this link today. Typical story, unfortunately.
Who gives a shit. If you don't pay for it, and you don't contribute code to it, you're a drone at best and should be ignored.

I write open source because I feel like it (an itch to scratch) and in hopes that other people will make software that I use better. If other people want to use it then that's cool but affects me not at all negatively or positively.

Sounds like David Gerard, JzG or Rodhullandemu, doesn't it?

I have never written Open Source software, don't have the time to do so, and since my former profession (one of them at least) is as a software developer, for which I got the paperwork at enormous personal expense (I paid my own way through a degree course), I'm disinclined to do it for free. Would you design and give an amp with a twin-EL34->twin-807 output stages with a THD of <0.01% and RMS output of 300W t someone for nothing, even if you loved them? Neither would I.

So, er, it doesn't sound like me at all.

Dumb example.
Reuse of code is free.
Reuse of components has direct cost.

There exists a free IP core movement as well.

The fact that you believe what you state above does not surprise me.
You ARE the tragedy of the commons incarnate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st 10 14, 9:24pm