The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Malleus addicted to Wikipedia?, Is it possible for him to stop editing, even for a day?
Fusion
post Sun 1st January 2012, 11:27pm
Post #61

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 71,526

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 1st January 2012, 4:29pm) *

I miss when civility meant to wear the proper clothes, drink tea the correct way, and to use proper grammar when speaking.

Yes, but what is the proper way when you are dealing with many cultures? I have my tea with no milk, and I put the sugar cube in my mouth and then drink the tea. I regard that as proper.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Web Fred
post Sun 1st January 2012, 11:52pm
Post #62

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Detective @ Sun 1st January 2012, 12:36pm) *

QUOTE(lilburne @ Sun 1st January 2012, 11:35am) *

I've met the guy on the Clapham omnibus ... He's a right cunt.
Johnny Rotten

OK, if Johnny Rotten had been a WP editor he'd have been blocked for offensive language. Your point being?

As opposed to having an article on WP, aprt of which for being part of a band whose one of many claims to fame were being the first to say "fuck" on UK TV.

Incidentally, why was nobody involved in putting and keeping images of Mohammed banned for incivility to Muslims?

offence != uncivil
+Quote Post
Web Fred
post Sun 1st January 2012, 11:56pm
Post #63

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 1st January 2012, 4:29pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 29th December 2011, 11:06am) *

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Thu 29th December 2011, 9:54am) *

And now "Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility enforcement" is officially opened
Civility is how one shows respect; if one is forced to be civil toward those who do not deserve it, then civility itself loses all meaning.

I miss when civility meant to wear the proper clothes, drink tea the correct way, and to use proper grammar when speaking.

How would you know? You aren't old enough to have seen it first-hand.
+Quote Post
chrisoff
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:26am
Post #64

Member No.: 17,248

Yes, but what is the proper way when you are dealing with many cultures? I have my tea with no milk, and I put the sugar cube in my mouth and then drink the tea. I regard that as proper.

Don't edit when you're drunk. And don't use words that a fair number of people consider sexist, racist, etc.

Strange that Malleus only uses sexist and sexual slurs. He never calls anyone a "nigger". But I guess he would if he felt like it. But it doesn't fit his needs, I guess.
+Quote Post
Zoloft
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:32am
Post #65

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 16,621

From now on, if I have occasion to edit Wikipedia, I shall make sure I have a sugar cube in my mouth.
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:39am
Post #66

Member No.: 25,791

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:26am) *

Don't edit when you're drunk. And don't use words that a fair number of people consider sexist, racist, etc.

Strange that Malleus only uses sexist and sexual slurs. He never calls anyone a "nigger". But I guess he would if he felt like it. But it doesn't fit his needs, I guess.

Malleus appologized
In this specific case though the only thing I regret is having called [[User:Spitfire]] a "fucking cunt" in response to a comment he made in the aftermath of my indefinite block. That was clearly wrong of me, no matter what he had said. [[User:Malleus Fatuorum|Malleus]] [[User_talk:Malleus_Fatuorum|Fatuorum]] 22:25, 2 January 2012 (UTC)

So, I really do not know what this arbitration case is for now.
+Quote Post
Ego Trippin' (Part Two)
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:56am
Post #67

Member No.: 42,413

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Mon 2nd January 2012, 11:39pm) *

I really do not know what this arbitration case is for now.

One would hope that this case shall conclude with ArbCom either disavowing or affirming the tactics of the admins in Wikipedia's civility police. That is, however, not what I expect to happen.

I do expect ArbCom to use this case to desysop Hawkeye7 for re-blocking Malleus after the unblock.
+Quote Post
melloden
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 5:11am
Post #68

Member No.: 34,482

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:26am) *

The difference is that people don't use "nigger" in any sense except the racist one (well, there's controversy over that, but Malleus is probably not one of the people that uses "nigga" to refer to his "homies" or "bros"). "Cunt" on the other hand is commonly used to refer to more than just women, and not always in a derogatory sense to them. I hardly think Malleus intended to belittle women by calling admins cunts.
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 5:28am
Post #69

Member No.: 25,791

QUOTE(Ego Trippin' (Part Two) @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 4:56am) *

I do expect ArbCom to use this case to desysop Hawkeye7 for re-blocking Malleus after the unblock.

They might, but this will be very wrong.
Yes, Hawkeye7 said there was a consensus, where there was none, but that's about it.
He was not involved as some are trying to present it.
He was not wheel-warring. He blocked Malleus over "You are so much a fucking cunt Spitfire.", the post that Malleus made after the first unblock.
I would not say, if Hawkeye7 was right or wrong but he not misused the tools.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 8:55pm
Post #70

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,985

QUOTE(Fusion @ Sun 1st January 2012, 6:27pm) *
I put the sugar cube in my mouth and then drink the tea. I regard that as proper.

Doesn't that make a mess of your teeth? ermm.gif

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Mon 2nd January 2012, 11:39pm) *

So, I really do not know what this arbitration case is for now.

Eh, it keeps Arbcom out of the pool halls. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ego Trippin' (Part Two)
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 9:31pm
Post #71

Member No.: 42,413

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 12:28am) *

He was not wheel-warring. He blocked Malleus over "You are so much a fucking cunt Spitfire.", the post that Malleus made after the first unblock.

I think this does a pretty damn good job of discrediting that line of thinking. And it is in ArbCom's interests to enforce the "bright-line rule" which prohibits wheel-warring.

This post has been edited by Ego Trippin' (Part Two): Tue 3rd January 2012, 9:32pm
+Quote Post
jd turk
post Tue 3rd January 2012, 11:02pm
Post #72

Member No.: 5,976

QUOTE(Ego Trippin' (Part Two) @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 3:31pm) *

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 12:28am) *

I think this does a pretty damn good job of discrediting that line of thinking. And it is in ArbCom's interests to enforce the "bright-line rule" which prohibits wheel-warring.

I think if he'd been clear about blocking over the new "cunt," he'd be fine. As it was with him not being clear (or retroactively trying to find a reason), he'll probably feel the wrath and loose the tools. And the whole wheel-warring stigma is idiotic. A stupid admin action is a stupid action, whether it comes first or second.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th 7 14, 7:01am