The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On the Nature and Sources of Expertise, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief Wiki Systems
Jonny Cache
post Wed 4th October 2006, 1:26pm
Post #21

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 398

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 11:50pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 3rd October 2006, 10:01pm) *
I tried to start a more nuanced discussion of the communication process involved in this situation under the heading of Transversality : Communication Across Levels Of Experience, but the Citizendium Forum quickly degenerated into a techie chat room with no real dialogue on core social issues.

Well, this is really the crux of the matter, isn't it? These are fundamentally social issues, not technological ones, and technological solutions to social issues can only take you so far. (And in many cases, they can make bad situations worse.) ...

Yes, it's social. It may even be biological, to judge from the persistence of it. Observations that I made this summer indicate that the behaviors in question may transcend species:

I think that too many people who talk the wiki talk are fixated on (1st) the content that they wish to create, and (2nd) the technology that they wish to use to create it, when it’s really that (3rd) thing, the group dynamics of the people who aim to use (2) for the making of (1), that always takes the whole biz down the tubes qwikier than 1, 2, 3.

Here's a little allegory that I recently wrote on that very subject:

Humming, All Too Humming

Every Spring we hang a clear red plastic globe — shaped and colored vaguely reminiscent of a large translucent strawberry, with yellow plastic flower-portals on a subtended green plastic calyx — on a cast-iron scrollwork post in our rose garden, and we fill it full of sugar water on a biweekly basis. Now, the instincts of hummingbirds are clearly plastic enough that they go right to it and sup the refined sugar nectar from where it wells up in the faux-flower ports. But the funniest thing, and it cracks us up all Summer long into Fall as we peek through the bay window that peeps out over the roses, is this — there's more sugar water in a single filling of that globe than the whole gang of hummers in the 'hood could possibly consume in a month, and yet their instincts are not so plastic that they'll ever leave off blustering and dogfighting and just plain enjoy the mix. Moral of the Story? Ay, there's the rub.

Jonny cool.gif

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache: Wed 4th October 2006, 2:10pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache
post Mon 12th November 2007, 6:16pm
Post #22

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Perk-o-lating this back to the Top Of Our Heads — and I mean that in the most Navalous Way — as The χpe®ien©e Φåctor™ appears to be In Da NØØZ once again.

Jonny cool.gif

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache: Mon 12th November 2007, 6:28pm
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Mon 12th November 2007, 7:04pm
Post #23

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 911

Guy Chapman is referring people to peruse Wikipedia Review now.

Thanks for the referrals, JzG!
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache
post Mon 12th November 2007, 7:44pm
Post #24

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 12th November 2007, 3:04pm) *

Guy Chapman is referring people to peruse Wikipedia Review now.

Thanks for the referrals, JzG!

I do confess, I am impressed — and not in the Naval sense. I had started sampling that «Get To Know Me !» thread, and apart from the fact that it made constant mention of The World's Most Φascinating Subject™ I was beginning to become not a little dismayed at how badly the general run of critical thinking skills had atroφied in Wikipedia since last I was there to instruct them in its ways and means, most e-specially the e-pyrical necessity of using Real Live Diffs™ to evidence one's e-gregious claims. Because I was waiting on Wiki-Pins-&-Needles for JzG to show me a diff that certified some bit of Original Research that I had snuck into Wikipedia, so that I could send it off to some journal as a ©abal-©ertified Original Work (©-©OW). But then that POODOG Interloper came along and ©ertified ©reative a Dozen Φool-Φledged articles for me!

Surficient Unto The Day Is My ©®eativity™ Theruff !!!

Jon Awbrey

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache: Mon 12th November 2007, 8:28pm
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Thu 18th August 2011, 6:36pm
Post #25

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Been thinking about this again lately in a more productive context …

Jon idea.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st 8 14, 4:27am