Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo's talk page circa 2003
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Emperor
So today I was feeling a bit down because my encyclopedia has been a bit slow to catch on. I surfed over to Wikipedia, to check out the early days of Jimbo and look for inspiration. Man, was I inspired by how it was at the beginning.

An excerpt (and a prophecy):
The delay in changing cumguzzler's username is undercutting the efficacy of your policy against such offensive ones. Will you please review that user's talk page and Brion Vibber's and then give Brion the authorization to change that username as soon as is convenient for you, so we can all get back to the encyclopedia business? -- isis 10:28 Jan 16, 2003 (UTC)

--I second that demotion. ``Sv
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:12pm) *

So today I was feeling a bit down because my encyclopedia has been a bit slow to catch on. I surfed over to Wikipedia, to check out the early days of Jimbo and look for inspiration. Man, was I inspired by how it was at the beginning.

An excerpt (and a prophecy):
The delay in changing cumguzzler's username is undercutting the efficacy of your policy against such offensive ones. Will you please review that user's talk page and Brion Vibber's and then give Brion the authorization to change that username as soon as is convenient for you, so we can all get back to the encyclopedia business? -- isis 10:28 Jan 16, 2003 (UTC)

--I second that demotion. ``Sv

Man, I can not believe that they made cumguzzler change their name! Talk about censorship!!
tarantino
If you want to look back even further in time, visit nostalgia.wikipedia.org. Here's Jimbo's user page circa 2001, a list of the first 192 contributors, and what's probably the first instance on WP of a vandal vandalizing a list of vandals, done by zenferret.

'''[[zenferret]]''' (aka General Jack D. Ripper) - falsely accused of vandalising the US Constitution. But he exonerated himself when he revealed the communist conspiracy against our precious bodily fluids that this page represents.

Whaddaya know, even the earliest available list of wikipedians gives Sanger co-founder status.
Emperor
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 18th September 2007, 5:16pm) *

Man, I can not believe that they made cumguzzler change their name! Talk about censorship!!

Don't worry. Cumguzzler lives on as User:CG.
SqueakBox
QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 18th September 2007, 11:52pm) *

If you want to look back even further in time, visit nostalgia.wikipedia.org. Here's Jimbo's user page circa 2001, a list of the first 192 contributors, and what's probably the first instance on WP of a vandal vandalizing a list of vandals, done by zenferret.

'''[[zenferret]]''' (aka General Jack D. Ripper) - falsely accused of vandalising the US Constitution. But he exonerated himself when he revealed the communist conspiracy against our precious bodily fluids that this page represents.

Whaddaya know, even the earliest available list of wikipedians gives Sanger co-founder status.

That doesnt make him a co-foundetr though. If we believe Jimbo that Sanger was merely a paid employee who then became a renegade we should support Jimbo and give no truck to this wanne-be rebel, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
tarantino
QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Wed 19th September 2007, 1:06am) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 18th September 2007, 11:52pm) *

That doesnt make him a co-foundetr though. If we believe Jimbo that Sanger was merely a paid employee who then became a renegade we should support Jimbo and give no truck to this wanne-be rebel, Squeak :ph34r: Box

I can never tell if you're being sarcastic :). In this instance I'll reply as if you aren't. The operative phrase you use is "If we believe Jimbo". Jimbo may believe Jimbo, but his word should not be taken as gospel.

His recollection here is demonstrably false.

((jwales)) His title was "editor in chief"
((jwales)) he made up the "co-founder" bit after I fired him
((ocee)) cannot organisations sue a former employer for publicly mis-stating his/her role in
the organisation
((jwales)) ocee, yes, someone else should do it, not me
((Dragonfly6-7)) the thing is, there're references
((Dragonfly6-7)) NY Times, etc
((jwales)) There are many more references referrring to me as founder
((Dragonfly6-7)) Wikipedia says "Created by: Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger"
((jwales)) there is no question that it cannot be stated as a simple fact
((jwales)) that's what NPOV means
((jwales)) whenever there is a legitimate controversy, wikipedia should not take sides
((jwales)) that should say "Created by: thousands of volunteers"

In 2001, Jimbo did not object to this description that he himself edited.

There is no editor-in-chief per se, and two people who founded and are paid, by Bomis, Inc., to work on and manage the encyclopedia, Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger, like to think of themselves as mere participants who are charged with seeing to it that the project does not stray from the path on which it is already travelling. However, since it is Larry's paid occupation to oversee Wikipedia (and Nupedia), he makes the final decision on issues where community consensus cannot be reached. Other Bomis employees who have done some work on the encyclopedia include TimShell, one of the co-founders of Bomis, as well as programmers Jason Richey and Toan Vo.

Jimbo also didn't object to press releases that as late as late as 2004 said,

The Wikipedia project was founded in January 2001 by Internet entrepreneur Jimmy Wales and philosopher Larry Sanger. Bomis (bomis.com), an Internet web portal owned by Wales, supplied the financial backing and other support, while Sanger led the Wikipedia project during its first year, as a full-time paid editor. Since then it has operated mostly on consensus, using policies refined over time by its contributors.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.