Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I just let Guy (Chapman) go?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
Pages: 1, 2
WordBomb
Despite what IngSoc, er, ArbCom says, AntiSocialMedia.net is hardly about "outing" Wikipedia editors. It is, however, about shining a bright light on hypocrisy and abuse of social media, with Gary Weiss and SlimVirgin held up as poster children of same.

While I've made no attempt to "out" editors for sport on ASM, I'm wrestling with my conscience right now, and the desire to make an exception when it comes to Guy Chapman, who proved himself (as JzG) such a sonofabitch to me during the early days of the BADSITES debacle.

See, I figured out the account the (supposedly retired) fellow is currently using (and indeed, started using almost a year ago) and am so tempted to stick my leg out and trip him as he skips by, because few deserve it more.

But then I think about how much the dude already hates his life, and conclude that as long as he keeps to himself, I should just let him go do his thing.

Though I can predict what the consensus will be, I'm still curious to know what the thinking is around here on the topic of outing-for-sport, particularly when it comes to a real prince like Sir Guy.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:48pm) *

Despite what IngSoc, er, ArbCom says, AntiSocialMedia.net is hardly about "outing" Wikipedia editors. It is, however, about shining a bright light on hypocrisy and abuse of social media, with Gary Weiss and SlimVirgin held up as poster children of same.

While I've made no attempt to "out" editors for sport on ASM, I'm wrestling with my conscience right now, and the desire to make an exception when it comes to Guy Chapman, who proved himself (as JzG) such a sonofabitch to me during the early days of the BADSITES debacle.

See, I figured out the account the (supposedly retired) fellow is currently using (and indeed, started using almost a year ago) and am so tempted to stick my leg out and trip him as he skips by, because few deserve it more.

But then I think about how much the dude already hates his life, and conclude that as long as he keeps to himself, I should just let him go do his thing.

Though I can predict what the consensus will be, I'm still curious to know what the thinking is around here on the topic of outing-for-sport, particularly when it comes to a real prince like Sir Guy.

Hey where did ColScott's post go?

Well since the identity of Gamaliel, who was a far nicer editor than JzG was on his best medicated day, was exposed, I think it's rank hypocrisy to not do the same here. The only person I could think of who could deserve it more would probably be Tony Sidaway.
Somey
Mr. ColScott said something that was, perhaps, unnecessarily harsh. Perhaps Mr. Wordbomb could be accused of being too soft-hearted, but it's hardly, uh, what he said...

And Mr. Wordbomb does have a point about Mr. Chapman's general misery level - you can tell by reading his website, if you look past all the articles about UK cycling helmet laws and the like.

Personally, if I were living in the UK, I'd wear a helmet even if I wasn't on a bicycle.
ColScott
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:59pm) *

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:48pm) *

Hey where did ColScott's post go?

Well since the identity of Gamaliel, who was a far nicer editor than JzG was on his best medicated day, was exposed, I think it's rank hypocrisy to not do the same here. The only person I could think of who could deserve it more would probably be Tony Sidaway.

that would be the SECOND post that vanished
wtf
?
Somey
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:00am) *
that would be the SECOND post that vanished
wtf
?

What was the first one? You didn't say something mean about Selina, surely? tongue.gif

Anyway, WB hasn't given us quuite enough info to make an informed decision. Is JzG's new account making waves on policy pages or AN/I, or is he just feeling touching up a few articles on women who have large breasts?
Derktar
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Wikipedia

According to Guy's own words Wikipedia can be a cesspool and of all the abuse he alleges he has been subject to, why he would remain there is beyond me.
ColScott
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:05pm) *

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Wikipedia

According to Guy's own words Wikipedia can be a cesspool and of all the abuse he alleges he has been subject to, why he would remain there is beyond me.

Okay so who is it?
Nathan
I have deleted three comments now that had completely unacceptable language. Somey or any other staff/mod is free to disagree with me but I felt that those comments would degenerate this thread into a free-for-all (and instant Tar Pit material).

I believe in free speech as much as the next person but please, use a little common sense. The language is completely unnecessary and you can easily make your point without it.
ColScott
QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:09pm) *

I have deleted three comments now that had completely unacceptable language. Somey or any other staff/mod is free to disagree with me but I felt that those comments would degenerate this thread into a free-for-all.

I believe in free speech as much as the next person but please, use a little common sense.

Maybe they violated NPOV XYZ ARACADABRA?

By deleting posts you are just like the WIKI: JAGOFFS

You should never delete posts. We are all adults here. Except Squeakbox.
Nathan
Of course we should delete posts. "Because I don't like it" doesn't factor into it. There are many reasons why moderators and staff should delete posts.

Like I said, the language was unnecessary.

Don't mistake my deletion of your comments as being on Ryulong's side, either (as some might interpret it).
I'm on my own side but I think about the forum first - that's my job.

Wikipedia doesn't allow free expression. We do - up to a point. Your statement "just because you delete a comment, you are like them" is flawed and it's about the dumbest thing anyone can say considering the fact that I've been blocked too. *shakes head*
Somey
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 7th October 2007, 11:59pm) *
Well since the identity of Gamaliel, who was a far nicer editor than JzG was on his best medicated day, was exposed, I think it's rank hypocrisy to not do the same here.

Hmmm... To be fair, I'm fairly certain we weren't the ones who exposed User:Gamaliel's identity. I think he actually did most of it himself on his own userpage, and the revisions in question weren't oversighted before Daniel Brandt got around to checking them out and putting them up on the Hivemind page. I could be slightly wrong about the particulars, though...

Anyway, I'd redacted his name from WR, but then (as I recall) he started using it in WikiEN-L postings, which sort of renders the whole issue rather moot as far as I'm concerned. Also, he never requested that we remove it, and of course Joseph gets a little, uh, cranky when people act nice towards Gamaliel. And who can blame him, after all?
ColScott
QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:12pm) *

Of course we should delete posts. "Because I don't like it" doesn't factor into it. There are many reasons why moderators and staff should delete posts.

Don't mistake my deletion of your comments as being on Ryulong's side, either (as some might interpret it). I'm on my own side but I think about the forum first - that's my job.

Wikipedia doesn't allow free expression. We do - up to a point. Your statement "just because you delete a comment, you are like them" is flawed.

You say Of course like I should take it or granted.
Next you say
Of course we should make Jews wear Yellow Stars
Of course we should have blacks eat in a separate room

You're a fascist. You can tell yourself you aren't but you are.
Nathan
You can either deal with the fact that we do delete posts for necessary reasons or you can leave.

We have rules too and if you're not willing to deal with that, that's your problem, not mine.

As a moderator, it's my call to make the decisions as to what's acceptable and what's not. If I couldn't be trusted to make those decisions, I wouldn't be a moderator, now would I?

I don't use the buttons unless I need to, unlike many Wikipedia administrators who are block-happy. Do you see me deleting every post in sight? No.

Wow..passing judgement on me just because of a whopping three deletions. You know, that's a really intelligent thing to do considering you know nothing about me.

Attack Ryulong if you want, I don't care. Attack me, and that's another matter. Kindly calm down and quit attacking just because you don't agree with me.
That's not exactly constructive and mature, now is it?
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:12pm) *

QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 7th October 2007, 11:59pm) *
Well since the identity of Gamaliel, who was a far nicer editor than JzG was on his best medicated day, was exposed, I think it's rank hypocrisy to not do the same here.

Hmmm... To be fair, I'm fairly certain we weren't the ones who exposed User:Gamaliel's identity. I think he actually did most of it himself on his own userpage, and the revisions in question weren't oversighted before Daniel Brandt got around to checking them out and putting them up on the Hivemind page. I could be slightly wrong about the particulars, though...

Anyway, I'd redacted his name from WR, but then (as I recall) he started using it in WikiEN-L postings, which sort of renders the whole issue rather moot as far as I'm concerned. Also, he never requested that we remove it, and of course Joseph gets a little, uh, cranky when people act nice towards Gamaliel. And who can blame him, after all?

Oops, I meant Gaillimh, not Gamaliel. But I think my point still stands.
Somey
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:11am) *

But how do you know we're all "adults"...? I'm sure there are plenty of people just reading the site who are "underaged," though they're probably not members.

Anyway, it's a serious question, particularly if one puts it in general terms. If high-ranking Wikipedia admins want to go back to the "simple joys of editing," with a new account and no excess baggage, then as long as they stick to that, should that be encouraged?

Besides, cold turkey is a terrible way to break a psychological addiction. It's not like a physical addiction - you have to learn that there's a better way to live your life, and work your way into it. Even with physical addictions, there are 12-step programs and such to try and get people out of the hell-holes they're in without all the nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Now, if it's a sex addiction, that's a completely different story. But we're not getting into that, at least not until I've had a few more Valiums.
Nathan
ColScott: I said please calm down and quit attacking. I'm not in the habit of repeating myself.

If you disagree with someone, say so in an intelligent and constructive way. It's not constructive to attack someone just because they've done something you don't agree with. Seriously, that needs to stop.
WordBomb
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:03am) *
Is JzG's new account making waves on policy pages or AN/I...?
No...if that were the case, this would be a much easier decision.

I can see what he's trying to be, and in a vacuum I'd think it's great: he's trying to be what Jimbo likely had in mind when the term "editor" was coined. He's actually trying to improve WP editorially.

But as they say:
The fish gotta swim,
the bird gotta fly,
and despite his best efforts, Guy gotta be Guy, Guy, Guy.

Well, I say that. Or just did.

Point being: he's trying to keep his head down and "edit," but I see his nature poking through because, well, it's his nature.

Somey
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:18am) *
Oops, I meant Gaillimh, not Gamaliel. But I think my point still stands.

Ahh, right! I should have remembered him - way too easy a mistake to make, given the name similarity...

As I recall, though, Mr. Gaillimh, just like Until (1=2), was made an administrator under his new account name "on the sly" - essentially in the hopes that people wouldn't notice. If that's the case here as well, then Wordbomb should definitely spill the beans, but if "JzG II" is just a nice harmless WP editor like everybody else, I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to stay that way.
Derktar
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:26pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:03am) *
Is JzG's new account making waves on policy pages or AN/I...?
No...if that were the case, this would be a much easier decision.

I can see what he's trying to be, and in a vacuum I'd think it's great: he's trying to be what Jimbo likely had in mind when the term "editor" was coined. He's actually trying to improve WP editorially.

But as they say:
The fish gotta swim,
the bird gotta fly,
and despite his best efforts, Guy gotta be Guy, Guy, Guy.

Well, I say that. Or just did.

Point being: he's trying to keep his head down and "edit," but I see his nature poking through because, well, it's his nature.

Well in that case I'd say hold back unless JzG reverts back to his old ways. But then again I never had dealings with Guy like you and many others had so I'm not an aficionado on Guy's abuses and wrongdoings
WordBomb
QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:31am) *
Well in that case I'd say hold back unless JzG reverts back to his old ways. But then again I never had dealings with Guy like you and many others had so I'm not an aficionado on Guy's abuses and wrongdoings.
Which actually gives you a much more valuable perspective, in my opinion. See, Guy makes decisions on emotion. I try to make them on principle. Given the emotional component of this case, I know better than to trust myself to be principled. I'm leaning in your direction on this one. Thanks.
Somey
What's your level of certainty, if I might ask? Even if he is getting involved in the business end of things, I should think you'd want to be at least, I dunno, 80 to 90 percent certain. As it is, you'd want to be 100 percent certain if all he's doing is touch-up work and the occasional new paragraph or two.
WordBomb
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:55am) *

What's your level of certainty, if I might ask? Even if he is getting involved in the business end of things, I should think you'd want to be at least, I dunno, 80 to 90 percent certain. As it is, you'd want to be 100 percent certain if all he's doing is touch-up work and the occasional new paragraph or two.
I'll send you one of the bits o' proof by PM because I know you'll be discrete.
blissyu2
The thing is that, per the Arb Com case, Anti Social Media is now going to be officially listed as an "attack site", and unlike Encyclopedia Dramatica, ASM effectively has their own Arb Com case just for them (the current attack site case is being twisted to solely be about ASM). Officially, therefore, there are only 2 attack sites.

Now that you've been tarred in that way, you have 3 options:

1) Beg and plead to Arb Com that really you're not like that at all, that ASM is quite legitimate, and so forth
2) Don't give a shit about it, and continue on as normal, since what Wikipedia thinks makes next to no difference
3) "Do the time, do the crime"

A lot of people think that if you've been penalised for something that you didn't do, then the best thing to do is to subsequently start acting like that. They think that you're an outing an attack site? Well, become one. Why bother trying to hold yourself back when you've already been penalised?

By that logic, what reason do you have for holding back on JzG? He's been a prick in the Arb Com case and probably deserves it. On top of that, you've been penalised for something you didn't do, so why not do it?
WordBomb
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Mon 8th October 2007, 2:33am) *
By that logic, what reason do you have for holding back on JzG? He's been a prick in the Arb Com case and probably deserves it. On top of that, you've been penalised for something you didn't do, so why not do it?
At the risk of sounding silly, the answer is...Karma. Or however you define the universal balance sheet. Exposing Gary Weiss and [Name Redacted] has made the world a better place. Exposing Guy's new ID may or may not do the same.
The Joy
I have read JzG mentioning that he had another account for just regular editing. I think he may have hinted having more than one.
Somey
It's odd, in a way, that the term "sleeper account" hasn't really entered the WP lexicon the way "sock puppet" and "meat puppet" have... In addition to being less connotative, it's more descriptive of what would actually be happening in such a case.

You have to bear in mind the addict mentality - people will come up with all sorts of contingency plans, escape plans, backup plans, all sorts of things to avoid the pain of sudden withdrawal. It can't be easy for them, once things start to really go south like that.
LamontStormstar
Isn't antisocialmedia.net a complaint site and not an attack site, like this one site that complained about best buy's geek squad?

For JzG going back on a new account after supposedly quittting, is JzG doing anything abusive related for it like double voting on wikipedia's "not a vote" voting places such as AFD, or did he just want to go back under a new name?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 8th October 2007, 8:17am) *

Isn't antisocialmedia.net a complaint site and not an attack site, like this one site that complained about best buy's geek squad?

For JzG going back on a new account after supposedly quittting, is JzG doing anything abusive related for it like double voting on wikipedia's "not a vote" voting places such as AFD, or did he just want to go back under a new name?

JzG had been such an creep to so many people. I think that it's important that people know under what name he's editing, just so that we can put two and two together. I'm sure that the "powers that be" already know and are going to cut him extra slack. Much better that the name be documented somewhere for future reference so that people will understand why "account X" isn't getting banned for incivility when they say things like "nasty troll FUCK OFF" or worse.

Plus, think of his wife: doesn't she have a right to know that her husband is spending every waking minute on the internet editing articles about big bust models?
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:41am) *

Plus, think of his wife: doesn't she have a right to know that her husband is spending every waking minute on the internet editing articles about big bust models?

His wife can keep tabs on him.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-spy-on-your-partner

Proabivouac
I had a lot of respect for JzG, and most often agreed with him. I'm afraid we'll have to disagree about that.

Generally, I very much disagree with this practice of outing, because the net - and Wikipedia in particular - is not yet a civilized place where anyone should be expected to use their real name. JzG's previous ID gives RWI details, and I viscerally understand why someone would want to shake off that vulnerability.

However, that JzG participated in outing my RWI, and blocked me to prevent me from stopping it, is a tragic fact. People who honor others privacy deserve the same; that's simple to me, and non-negotiable. Those who out others RWI's…well, I just don't know. I'm not yet comfortable with doing it myself.

Let's just say that I'm a little less totally opposed than I once would have been.
guy
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 5:59am) *

Personally, if I were living in the UK, I'd wear a helmet even if I wasn't on a bicycle.

Why? The rate of violent crime, especially shooting, is much lower than in the USA.
Piperdown
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 8th October 2007, 6:39am) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Mon 8th October 2007, 2:33am) *
At the risk of sounding silly, the answer is...Karma. Or however you define the universal balance sheet. Exposing Gary Weiss and [Name Redacted] has made the world a better place. Exposing Guy's new ID may or may not do the same.

Out the sockpuppet.

For a guy who happily allowed the "stalked by Judd Bagley" thing to stay on WP ad infinitum along with his virtual St. Joan of Arc's reverting of same on TomStonerLastExitDoRightMantanmoreland's (hey Fred, he did not stop at LastExit, but keep on lying about that, it's your DoRight to do so) discusting page, then decided to step up to the stage with GW's script in hand during the Great Judd Bagley Personal Attack article of 2007 ( I say that in jest as GW and SV have made a wikiliving out of playing the PA card - quoting reliable sources is not a personal attack, even when it's on a real person and not just a pseudononymous Mantan Moreland wanna-be).

I say you're more than entitled to enable some wikikarma. He'll thank you later, like Robert Downey Jr after his 2nd of 6 interventions.
thekohser
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:55am) *

Level of certainty is key here. I don't even want to know about it unless there's at least a good 70% chance of it being true, in most independent reviewers' minds.

That said, I think anyone who was personally abused by JzG deserves your info. Especially people abused for speaking their mind, only because they were a "sock of a banned user". Send me the info. I'll keep it confidential.

Greg
WhispersOfWisdom
I have three trains running on this same thought:

1.) He has already gone public. He has a web site using his real name. There is no "almost pregnant" here. Many people wish they had never chosen their current path. Some things can be changed, some things can never be changed. A geographic cure might help him for a while, but wherever he goes.........there he is!

2.) Sockpuppets are actually allowed and used at WP. I believe many real live people use one or more sockpuppets, with the support of WP policy and guidelines.

3.) If a convicted war criminal is living in South America, would his victims have a right to know where he lives?

If WR is NOT to be known as an "Outing site" then by all means, let someone else do the deed... someday.

A miracle is required to make a change in someone that is hurtful and a true blue real sociopath.
Without a miracle, I believe JzG will resurface as himself, someday. I can always pray for a miracle, however.
SqueakBox
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 8th October 2007, 5:11am) *

QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 7th October 2007, 10:09pm) *

I have deleted three comments now that had completely unacceptable language. Somey or any other staff/mod is free to disagree with me but I felt that those comments would degenerate this thread into a free-for-all.

I believe in free speech as much as the next person but please, use a little common sense.

Maybe they violated NPOV XYZ ARACADABRA?

By deleting posts you are just like the WIKI: JAGOFFS

Yes I, of course, have moved beyond mere adulthood into a more mature space, Squeak tongue.gif Box

QUOTE(guy @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:10pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 8th October 2007, 5:59am) *

Why? The rate of violent crime, especially shooting, is much lower than in the USA.

Yes, but the roads are narrower. Much better to stay on the pavement, Squeak biggrin.gif Box
guy
QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Mon 8th October 2007, 10:47pm) *

Yes, but the roads are narrower. Much better to stay on the pavement, Squeak biggrin.gif Box

But in America, cars drive on the pavement rather than the carriageway while pedestrians are forced off the paving stones onto something called the sidewalk, where presumably they must walk sideways.
WordBomb
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Mon 8th October 2007, 5:25pm) *

1.) He has already gone public. He has a web site using his real name. There is no "almost pregnant" here. Many people wish they had never chosen their current path. Some things can be changed, some things can never be changed. A geographic cure might help him for a while, but wherever he goes.........there he is!

2.) Sockpuppets are actually allowed and used at WP. I believe many real live people use one or more sockpuppets, with the support of WP policy and guidelines.

3.) If a convicted war criminal is living in South America, would his victims have a right to know where he lives?

If WR is NOT to be known as an "Outing site" then by all means, let someone else do the deed... someday.

A miracle is required to make a change in someone that is hurtful and a true blue real sociopath.
Without a miracle, I believe JzG will resurface as himself, someday. I can always pray for a miracle, however.
I'm still waiting for the part where you say "In conclusion..."
Kato
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 8th October 2007, 11:53pm) *

That's on disk two of Lee's album. He's in the middle of a guitar solo at the moment, best come back tomorrow.
Viridae
I'd say leave it until he returns to his old behaviour - beyond that all bets are off because the edits on his old account will be relevant for any kind of dispute resolution process/proving how much of a judgemental ass he can be.
blissyu2
Personally, I vehemently oppose the idea of exposing someone's real name without their permission. First name is okay, and if by providing some general information it means that someone else through complex investigation can find out who they are, then that's okay too. But providing explicit information, such as full name, address, phone number and place of work is wrong. I don't care what they've done, or what you think they've done, that's wrong. The issue to me is that doing that can lead to stalking, but more realistically it can lead to a smear against your name, meaning that you might be less employable, less able to maintain friendships, and you may be wrongly convicted of crimes, or at least wrongly charged of crimes. This is the real danger of it.

Saying what someone's alternate screen name is is no big deal. Just do it. There is nothing unethical about it at all. You do ideally need to be pretty certain about it, but if not, then as long as you say its a guess, then that's fine too.

I guess that I have, through Wikipedia Review, made a few exceptions to the rule on outing, in cases where they did a lot of harm and were public figures, whose identity was already well known. I am still very much against the idea in principle though.

But if we take it case by case:

Essjay - was relevant because without knowing his real identity, we didn't know for sure that the qualifications were fake.

SlimVirgin - is relevant only in terms of whether or not she is a spy or secret agent

The guy who "hoaxed" Seigenthaler - was relevant because of a potential legal issue

Katefan0 - I'm not convinced that this was relevant

I can't think of any other examples, but yeah that's my personal stance on it. I know that on this forum we are split roughly 50/50 as to whether people think that "outing" is okay, and furthermore under what circumstances we each allow it. It is a tricky situation.

However, if the issue is purely a question of identifying his 2nd account, well, that's a non-issue. There is no ethical issue surrounding that, the only question is whether what you are saying is true.
WordBomb
I seem to have broken Guy's brain.

First, a review:

A few days ago I spoted, through no special effort, what appeared to be an alternate account of Guy Chapman's.

Had it happened six weeks ago I'd have acknowledged and moved on, as I do frequently when I pick up on these things.

But JzG, who called AntiSocialMedia.net "a tissue of lies"(!?), has gained a special status, shared by a select, conscience-deficient few who are actively misleading others about ASM. This proud fraternity includes Guy Chapman, David Gerard, Gary Weiss, [Name Q. Redacted], Fred Bauder, and a few others.

Based on some good input from this group and my own determination to do no unnecessary harm, I opted to keep the account name to myself.

Well, all you trainspotters, I can attest that the Karma train just keeps on a rollin', as manifest by this strange screed appearing on Guy's website after he apparently found this thread:

This is an open letter to a small group of people. You know who you are.

I closed down the JzG account on Wikipedia of my own free will, and asked for the sysop bit to be removed as a security measure. I'd be happier iof the account was blocked. It will not be used again, I think.

You, the people to whom this is addressed, are banned from Wikipedia, usually not due to any action on my part. A banned user may not edit Wikipedia. At all. Under any account. Jason Gastrich, Jonathan Barber, Gregory Kohs, Judd Bagley, Don Murphy - you are banned not because of anything I did, but because of what you did. Which was, in the main, self-promotion.

I am not banned. I can edit whenever I like, either anonymously or using accounts. And - get this - nobody cares. I am just some middle-aged guy from England. Nobody in their right mind would give a damn whether I edit Wikipedia or not. What difference does it make to the world if I choose to walk away from the whole sorry bunch of you and create the occasional article on some obscure but worthy topic in which I have no vested interest? Do you honestly think the world gives a damn? I sure as hell don't. But I do think it's worth volunteering the occasional hour to document obscure but important topics. So I will probably be around Wikipedia - under one name or another - for a while.

The nthing is, though, that if I want to return to the JzG account and get the sysop bit back, all I have to do is ask. That's it. And the reason I don't is not because you are a bunch of shameless elf-promoting [very bad word]s who make life a misery for those around you - althogh that is certainly true - but because I can no longer be arsed to clean up the crap you leave behind you.

There are a thousand more admins, at least some of whom are prepared to clean up the crap you leave behind you.

And that's an end of it, really, because ultimately the problem is not me, it's you. I've walked away from the lot of you - despite your apparent desire to pursue me - but Wikipedia's collective memory, of which I was a very small and insignificant part, remembers you and why you were banned.

So, if you think you've found one of my other accounts, congratulations, award yourself a putty medal and share your joy with all your friends. That, plus a couple of bucks, will get you a cup of coffee. I am no longer invested in Wikipedia, and accounts mean nothing to me. Find one, I'll make another. I am allowed to because unlike you I am not banned, and I can do it because unlike you I am not here to promote myself, but instead to build a great encyclopaedia. For values of great that are not intimately tied to my own vested interests.

Any time you're in England be sure to look me up, I will buy you that coffee.

Guy
Well I gotta go...I'm heading to the North Pole to do some PR consulting with the short-statured workers there. I suppose that makes me an "elf-promoting [very bad word]."

All that aside, I'm glad I made the decision I did, because it's clear zat Guy is not well.

Guy: I sincerely hope you beat whatever you're battling; and that when you do, you'll try to be kinder to others.
the fieryangel

Guy

How cheap of him! At the very least, he should offer dinner or at least a round at the local pub!!
ColScott
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 9th October 2007, 1:50am) *

I seem to have broken Guy's brain.

First, a review:

A few days ago I spoted, through no special effort, what appeared to be an alternate account of Guy Chapman's.

Had it happened six weeks ago I'd have acknowledged and moved on, as I do frequently when I pick up on these things.

But JzG, who called AntiSocialMedia.net "a tissue of lies"(!?), has gained a special status, shared by a select, conscience-deficient few who are actively misleading others about ASM. This proud fraternity includes Guy Chapman, David Gerard, Gary Weiss, [Name Q. Redacted], Fred Bauder, and a few others.

Based on some good input from this group and my own determination to do no unnecessary harm, I opted to keep the account name to myself.

Well, all you trainspotters, I can attest that the Karma train just keeps on a rollin', as manifest by this strange screed appearing on Guy's website after he apparently found this thread:

This is an open letter to a small group of people. You know who you are.

I closed down the JzG account on Wikipedia of my own free will, and asked for the sysop bit to be removed as a security measure. I'd be happier iof the account was blocked. It will not be used again, I think.

You, the people to whom this is addressed, are banned from Wikipedia, usually not due to any action on my part. A banned user may not edit Wikipedia. At all. Under any account. Jason Gastrich, Jonathan Barber, Gregory Kohs, Judd Bagley, Don Murphy - you are banned not because of anything I did, but because of what you did. Which was, in the main, self-promotion.

I am not banned. I can edit whenever I like, either anonymously or using accounts. And - get this - nobody cares. I am just some middle-aged guy from England. Nobody in their right mind would give a damn whether I edit Wikipedia or not. What difference does it make to the world if I choose to walk away from the whole sorry bunch of you and create the occasional article on some obscure but worthy topic in which I have no vested interest? Do you honestly think the world gives a damn? I sure as hell don't. But I do think it's worth volunteering the occasional hour to document obscure but important topics. So I will probably be around Wikipedia - under one name or another - for a while.

The nthing is, though, that if I want to return to the JzG account and get the sysop bit back, all I have to do is ask. That's it. And the reason I don't is not because you are a bunch of shameless elf-promoting [very bad word]s who make life a misery for those around you - althogh that is certainly true - but because I can no longer be arsed to clean up the crap you leave behind you.

There are a thousand more admins, at least some of whom are prepared to clean up the crap you leave behind you.

And that's an end of it, really, because ultimately the problem is not me, it's you. I've walked away from the lot of you - despite your apparent desire to pursue me - but Wikipedia's collective memory, of which I was a very small and insignificant part, remembers you and why you were banned.

So, if you think you've found one of my other accounts, congratulations, award yourself a putty medal and share your joy with all your friends. That, plus a couple of bucks, will get you a cup of coffee. I am no longer invested in Wikipedia, and accounts mean nothing to me. Find one, I'll make another. I am allowed to because unlike you I am not banned, and I can do it because unlike you I am not here to promote myself, but instead to build a great encyclopaedia. For values of great that are not intimately tied to my own vested interests.

Guy
Well I gotta go...I'm heading to the North Pole to do some PR consulting with the short-statured workers there. I suppose that makes me an "elf-promoting [very bad word]."

All that aside, I'm glad I made the decision I did, because it's clear zat Guy is not well.

Guy: I sincerely hope you beat whatever you're battling; and that when you do, you'll try to be kinder to others.

does depression come with stupidity, Chapman? Because far from self promotion I continue to ask that the illegal file you shits are keeping on me be removed!

and the fact that you continue to edit despite calling the place a cesspool merely confirms a lack of self worth and intelligence.
Piperdown
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 9th October 2007, 5:00am) *

I guess that I have, through Wikipedia Review, made a few exceptions to the rule on outing, in cases where they did a lot of harm and were public figures, whose identity was already well known. I am still very much against the idea in principle though.

But if we take it case by case:

Essjay - was relevant because without knowing his real identity, we didn't know for sure that the qualifications were fake.

SlimVirgin - is relevant only in terms of whether or not she is a spy or secret agent

I guess the fact that Patrick Byrne once made the fragile Ms V. cry over a french fry, and somehow she pops up on a website 20 years later to not only exert admin powers to ensure that articles in which he plays a central role paint as negative light as possible of him and his activities, but to pull the "send me all of your evidence" stunt with Bagley, then proceed to forward it to Mr Weiss, while declaring straight-forward evidence as superficially irrelevant.

I'd say Ms. V's COI regarding all things Byrne needed to be outed, and was. Same goes for the Weiss Show.

Well done, Messrs Brandt, Cooley, Byrne, and Bagely. Bravo.

And Ms. Virgin's wikibehaviour isn't stable enough to be a travel agent, not to mention an intelligence agent. What she is on WP is a very spiteful (Salinger/Byrne issues) abuser of wikipower. If she takes a stipend from the Berlet river I wouldn't be surprised. PETA? Probably a labour of love or complete lack of anything else to do.

What's sure is that WP is a full-time pasttime for the touched. Anyone been able to ID a WP higher up (who isn't salaried by WP) volunteer who isn't either a nutcase or shamed out of their profession to a life of involuntary wikileisure?

WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 8th October 2007, 5:53pm) *

In conclusion! Any of us can edit on Wikipedia and we can do so using our real names or by using a fake profile. I have never really learned how to edit or work the system at Wikipedia, but I have read many things that employees and music people have written for or about me.
I wish that I had known more last year, because I would have put a stop to it earlier. I have played music all of my life. Some of my music has been heard, played, and paid for without anyone ever knowing anything about me or my family. I like that just fine. Actually that is the most rewarding thing I can ever do...doing something good without anyone knowing it was part of my life. I do not requre fame and I do not need money. I certainly do not desire an article at an institution that will allow my life and family history to be changed at will be teens and people with virtually no wisdom. I do not seek mediocre and a default to average is not what I work to achieve. I may be average at many things, but that would never make headlines. (duh!)

People like O.J. and Mike Tyson, without the above mentioned miracle, will make the same mistakes over and over again, expecting a different result. JzG will likely do the same things over and over, also. He has quite obviously resurfaced and heeeeeeere is JzG!

In A.A., we call that behavior, insanity. Over and Over and Over again. Same thing, same result.
I surrender to win.

In the world that JzG lives, he is a legend in his own mind. A self published, self promoted, editor of his own world, at large. He has invited you to find him, just as most peope that want help, want people to find them. "Just in time." I say, let him find himself; maybe he will not lose a wife and family that way. If we encourage his actions, he will feel smug knowing that he "got to us."

Release his identity because he has made it a "dare." Let him be the legend of JzG.land. Kind of an "Oz" thing ya'll. unsure.gif
WhispersOfWisdom
Addendum to my reply from above:

Here is part of the quote from JzG, aka, Guy Chapman:

" So, if you think you've found one of my other accounts, congratulations, award yourself a putty medal and share your joy with all your friends. That, plus a couple of bucks, will get you a cup of coffee. I am no longer invested in Wikipedia, and accounts mean nothing to me. Find one, I'll make another. I am allowed to because unlike you I am not banned, and I can do it because unlike you I am not here to promote myself, but instead to build a great encyclopaedia. For values of great that are not intimately tied to my own vested interests. "

The part about the "find one, I'll make another" is very amazing to me. It proves what my company found to be the case with most, if not all internet junkies and the sites that help feed the needs / addictions of people like Mr. Chapman. Without exception, each person has mulitiple personalities/profiles even when allowed, or forced to use their own name.

Why is that such a novelty for him? Does it matter that Lee Nysted is banned at WP? No, Not to me. Should I feel envious and resentful that Mr. Chapman spends hours at a time fighting with kids on the internet? No.

Is it like an espionage game? The first time I found out my real name was being used at WP, I asked how did it happen, and how can I stop the vandals?

Vandals were putting up things about me that were horrifying; clearly not suitable for my 3 girls to see. My banking firm has 120,000 employees. That represents quite a few potential "sockpuppets." I also have a few people interested in my music / business. If those people ultimately want to do some publicity work, I am sure they will find a way to get information out into the world that is reliable and rated G.

Andrew Keen is right about the whole mess.

I have stopped the text messaging on all of my cell accounts, so as to prohibit my girls from spending any of their time staring at a mini-screen typing with their thumbs. Next comes the curtailment of Facebook, etc. It really is quite insane and a waste of time. smile.gif
Proabivouac

A banned user may not edit Wikipedia. At all. Under any account.

Um, actually, banned users edit Wikipedia all the time.
Proabivouac

ColScott, as JzG is the one who last nominated your bio for deletion, he would seem to the last person you should blame for its existence.

JohnA
Looking at Guy's home website/wiki, I'd say he had a serious addiction problem. Rather than get the drug on the streets, he's decided to grow his own.

It's telling that he does not run his own wiki in the manner of Wikipedia, but instead controls content by controlling registration and an iron fist over content. This, I think, is a good definition of irony.

I don't think its Wikipedia's perennial vandal problem that has got to Mr Chapman - rather the effort-to-reward ratio was becoming rather high. Rather than ask a serious question of himself about why he is trying to feed a habit, he is externalizing the high effort/reward problem to others.

Also, and this bit is going to hurt Guy's ego but its true - nobody cares about whether Guy is "in the project" or not. The MMORPG of world history continues quite happily without him, and as long as people like him feel the need to dose themselves up with fatuous claims about participation in producing a "Great Encyclopedia" and pay money to the Foundation to keep it running, then Wikipedia will continue to suck time out of people's lives and give less and less in return.

Guy thinks he's somehow important, but he's not. He thinks we want to stalk him, but no we don't. In a year's time, no-one will remember the JzG account because other suckers/addicts will have arrived to take their place at their desks at the Ministry of Truth, and we're all invited to watch.
Kato
QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 9th October 2007, 11:54pm) *

Looking at Guy's home website/wiki, I'd say he had a serious addiction problem. Rather than get the drug on the streets, he's decided to grow his own.

It's telling that he does not run his own wiki in the manner of Wikipedia, but instead controls content by controlling registration and an iron fist over content. This, I think, is a good definition of irony.

I don't think its Wikipedia's perennial vandal problem that has got to Mr Chapman - rather the effort-to-reward ratio was becoming rather high. Rather than ask a serious question of himself about why he is trying to feed a habit, he is externalizing the high effort/reward problem to others.

Also, and this bit is going to hurt Guy's ego but its true - nobody cares about whether Guy is "in the project" or not. The MMORPG of world history continues quite happily without him, and as long as people like him feel the need to dose themselves up with fatuous claims about participation in producing a "Great Encyclopedia" and pay money to the Foundation to keep it running, then Wikipedia will continue to suck time out of people's lives and give less and less in return.

Guy thinks he's somehow important, but he's not. He thinks we want to stalk him, but no we don't. In a year's time, no-one will remember the JzG account because other suckers/addicts will have arrived to take their place at their desks at the Ministry of Truth, and we're all invited to watch.

Great post John. I couldn't have put it better myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.