Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another piece of the SlimVirgin puzzle
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
WordBomb
This one's for you, Chapman.

It's another SlimVirgin clue to consider this weekend. And beyond, Guy willing.

Look at this diff. Turns out, there used to be three edits sandwiched in there. SlimVirgin made them all, and the net effect was to add the sentence you see in red and the category of "Philosophers."

Those edits have since been oversighted away.

It seems reasonable to assume that SV was inspired to check out the page on Tony McWalter while, just moments before, she edited the article on the University of Hertfordshire, the school where McWalter once lectured on Philosophy (during the period SV might have been studying the subject, after having dropped out of Kings circa 1989 and worked for Salinger until 1991-ish or whatever Cooley said).

What strikes me as odd is that she would have the three throw-away edits on McWalter oversighted but not the two made to Univ of Hertfordshire, when the latter suggest a familiarity with the school on her part while the former only suggest a campaign literature-level knowledge of McWalter.

Point being, for some reason Slim doesn't want us to know that she knows anything about a politician and one-time lecturer in her field of study.

Any ideas why?

The one that immediately comes to my mind may be inferred by the first sentence of this introductory comment by Slim to the talk page of User:Mel Etitis (who is actually the WP champion for frequency of variations on the word "tidy" used in edit summaries).

I'm not saying Mel Etitis is Tony McWalter, only that philosophers seem to evoke a certain je ne sais quois in Ms. Slim.
blissyu2
Its simply bizarre. I'm not sure whether it requires investigation or not. On the surface it looks like a red herring.

And you're right, that if they punish you for something you didn't do, you may as well earn it. "Do the time, do the crime".

Perhaps a simple explanation is that when Jayjg was oversighting things, he couldn't tell what was important to hide and what wasn't, and made some mistakes along the way. If he still had the powers, I am sure that he would be oversighting the edits that you just exposed, except that now it has come under so much scrutiny that that is not likely to happen.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sat 20th October 2007, 1:18am) *

Its simply bizarre. I'm not sure whether it requires investigation or not. On the surface it looks like a red herring.

And you're right, that if they punish you for something you didn't do, you may as well earn it. "Do the time, do the crime".

Perhaps a simple explanation is that when Jayjg was oversighting things, he couldn't tell what was important to hide and what wasn't, and made some mistakes along the way. If he still had the powers, I am sure that he would be oversighting the edits that you just exposed, except that now it has come under so much scrutiny that that is not likely to happen.

Jayjg still does and he oversight is a hidden log so he just might.
jorge
Tony Mcwalter is a Kantian philosopher, a follower of Immanuel Kant whom I believe SlimVirgin has a particular interest in. Mcwalter's voting record here shows he voted to ban fox hunting.
WordBomb
QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 20th October 2007, 11:49am) *

Tony Mcwalter is a Kantian philosopher, a follower of Immanuel Kant whom I believe SlimVirgin has a particular interest in. Mcwalter's voting record here shows he voted to ban fox hunting.
He also opposed military action in Iraq, which would put him on opposite sides of Slim on at least one (key) issue.
jorge
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sat 20th October 2007, 5:25pm) *

QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 20th October 2007, 11:49am) *

He also opposed military action in Iraq, which would put him on opposite sides of Slim on at least one (key) issue.

I'm not sure that is right:

Against

UN resolution 1441 - 25.11.2002
Liberal Democrat amendment limiting justification for war with Iraq without further UN sanction. Rebels voted for the amendment.

For

Military action against Iraq - 17.2.1998
Vote to allow UK military action against Iraq if peace bid failed.

EDIT: he seems a bit mixed up
For

Amendment to government Iraq motion - 18.3.2003
MPs debating the Iraq crisis voted on an anti-war amendment. Rebels voted in favour. The motion was defeated.

For

Anti-war amendment in the Iraq debate - 26.2.2003
MPs voted on an amendment tabled by Chris Smith and Douglas Hogg. The amendment was not carried. Rebels voted in favour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.