An lump them ay thegither:
The Rigid Righteous is a fool,
   The Rigid Wise anither;
The cleanest corn that e'er was dight
   May hae some pyles o caff in;
So ne'er a fellow-creature slight
   For random fits o daffin.

—Robert Burns, Address to the Unco Guid, or The Rigidly Righteous

Recent discussions of semiotic models called to mind this old post, where I tried to form a conceptual framework for thinking about software systems that mediate the interaction between a Mass Of Beings (MOB 1) and a Mass Of Bits (MOB 2).

Let me start a new thread for this, mostly because Cobalt's old animated avatar sends my eyes careering out of their orbits after just a few seconds of peripheral viewing.

Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 9th October 2006, 10:01pm) *

What we have here is MOB rule:
  • There is mass of beings (mob_1) and mass of bits (mob_2), and a software system that allows mob_1 to interact with each other in the medium of mob_2.
  • Each mob has its various and sundry submobs that we, the members of mob_1, come to know under various names.
  • For instance, the mass of bits (mob_2) splits into submasses of bits that we know as (2.1) the state of WP articles, (2.2) the state of WP discussions, (2.3) the state of WP policies and projects, (2.4) the state of the WP IRC, and so on.
  • For another thing, the mass of beings (mob_1) splits into submasses of beings that act in different ways on the different parts of mob_2.
Now maybe this sounds like a brave new world, but there is nothing going on here that has not being going on with human beings for as long as we've had written records to remind us of what we've been about.

Jon Awbrey
Semiotic Serendip

Jon boing.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.