Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelly Martin : Nonbovine Ruminations
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Kelly Martin : Nonbovine Ruminations

Well, now we know.... December 13, 2007

http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/...ow-we-know.html
Somey
A month after Doran's second Florida arrest, in a post to the official Wikimedia mailing list, the Foundation board was asked what became of her. "Pray tell, what happened to Carolyn Doran?" a Wikipedia editor inquired. "I've asked on a number of fronts and been met with stone walls...The Chief Operating Officer of a top ten web property vanishes, with no explanation of any kind?"

Chairman Florence Devouard provided the only answer: "Has it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so?" Devouard wrote. "If the issue disturbs you so much, I have a suggestion. Just give Carolyn a call...she is still living in Florida. You may try to find her contact on internet, or white pages? I think that when you want to know something, the best you can do is to ask directly the person. No?"

Devouard's suggestion was not a good one. At the time this note was posted, Carolyn Doran was locked in the Pinellas County, Florida jail.

How does one manage to even come up with a wisecrack for something like this? Shee-it, if we made this stuff up, people would think we were a parody site.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 14th December 2007, 2:49am) *

A month after Doran's second Florida arrest, in a post to the official Wikimedia mailing list, the Foundation board was asked what became of her. "Pray tell, what happened to Carolyn Doran?" a Wikipedia editor inquired. "I've asked on a number of fronts and been met with stone walls...The Chief Operating Officer of a top ten web property vanishes, with no explanation of any kind?"

Chairman Florence Devouard provided the only answer: "Has it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so?" Devouard wrote. "If the issue disturbs you so much, I have a suggestion. Just give Carolyn a call...she is still living in Florida. You may try to find her contact on internet, or white pages? I think that when you want to know something, the best you can do is to ask directly the person. No?"

Devouard's suggestion was not a good one. At the time this note was posted, Carolyn Doran was locked in the Pinellas County, Florida jail.

How does one manage to even come up with a wisecrack for something like this? Shee-it, if we made this stuff up, people would think we were a parody site.

apparently the Register didn't appreciate Jimmy Wales' response to their previous two journalism pieces.

that one got a little bit vicious, but understandable.

always find out what your enemies have on you first before you call them WP:CLOWNS
Robster
I guess the WMF's budget doesn't include a line item for "background checks", which most professionally-run organizations do on anyone who's getting a Chief (insert department here) Officer title...
Piperdown
As I read the speculations on the WikiEN-l about whether Cade is a reliable source on which Carolyns might have done what, and whether they are the same, I can only suggest to these knee-jerk cult apologists to consider what I have when trying to emphathise with their mindset:

What Would Durova Do ??

Why, I bet she is peeved, I tell ya, peeved !! How dare they not wikihire Durova to do a background check on Ma Barker COO before handing her the book tools.

I'm sure Durova's 0.100 sleuthing average would have prevented more embarrasment for Jimbo "Assume Good Faith and Do Background Checks Never" Wales.

Workd great for him in the Essjay case too.

Is there anyone at WMF that isn't a freak? Just saw on another thread where this Bass character is Chief Leather Officer with recent Meth experience.
Moulton
If the people at the top of the organization are that dicey, one wonders what skeletons lurk in the closets of those further down the pecking order.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 14th December 2007, 5:34am) *

Just saw on another thread where this Bass character is Chief Leather Officer with recent Meth experience.

Here's his blog. Read it before you say anything rash about him: it's all true, but he's at least trying to get his life in order and his problems are many and very large.

While I don't condone the actions of WMF, at least give him a little slack here. He seems like basically he made some bad choices in his past and is trying to live with the consequences. There but for the grace of God...
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 14th December 2007, 4:36am) *

Here's his blog. Read it before you say anything rash about him: it's all true, but he's at least trying to get his life in order and his problems are many and very large.

I'm not surprised. He's not at all professional with respect to the community, evidenced by his poor judgement in participation in that secret list.

His partner has drug problems, and apparently Bass was concerned that he stop, but maybe he started partaking.

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Thu 13th December 2007, 8:55pm) *

Interesting Devouard would refer to the White Pages. wink.gif

I think that everyone should look up Devouard in whitepages.com, and give her a call.

She's in Connecticut this week, babysitting for Greg Koh's.

He'll hand her the phone.

Give a buzz

(and I'm sorry, but that CANT be a mistake)
Rootology
I would just like to say that I ♥ Kelly Martin. She has a fine surgical skill at sticking her finger cheerfully into someone's eye with a few words.

The world needs more gadflies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.