Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seth Finkelstein : Infothought
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Seth Finkelstein : Infothought

Wikimedia COO scandal

"For whatever it's worth, a few thoughts out about the article Felon became COO of Wikipedia foundation"
Disillusioned Lackey
Carolyn Doran's response to the wikipedia scandal (highlighted by Seth Finkelstein) is scary. She might as well have been Jimbo. She's ED, and she doesn't feel that there is any need for concern about bad practices on a major journalistic venture that Wikipedia is. I'm really surprised that she used to be with CBC. Really shocking stuff, her response.
The Joy
I personally hold non-profits to a higher standard than I do corporations or businesses. Non-profits should be managed not just like a good business would, but their managers and leaders should be moral and ethical for the sake of their customers (i.e. readers in the case of Wikipedia, viewers in the case of PBS, etc.), volunteers, and donors. For the chair of a non-profit to say that being non-transparent and non-responsive to the public and the media as a goal is just sad and baffling to me.

I know that some people think the ends justifies the means and no ethics or honor is needed as long as you get results. But I and, I believe, the majority of people don't adhere to that viewpoint. Jimbo Wales talks of love, harmony, and respect yet the WMF doesn't believe in it?

I may sound like Don Quixote, but I still believe that people need to honor their words and work to have an honorable character. Where is the Foundation's honor? I just don't know.

Didn't the head of the Red Cross have to leave after having an affair with a Red Cross worker? Yet, the WMF has a crook for a COO and they get away with it?
thekohser
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 30th December 2007, 11:55pm) *

Carolyn Doran's response to the wikipedia scandal (highlighted by Seth Finkelstein) is scary. She might as well have been Jimbo. She's ED, and she doesn't feel that there is any need for concern about bad practices on a major journalistic venture that Wikipedia is. I'm really surprised that she used to be with CBC. Really shocking stuff, her response.

Do you mean "Sue Gardner"? She's the Executive Director. No, wait, it looks like you meant (my roommate) Florence Devouard. She is the one who's moving in the direction of "enough transparency, already!" She is the Chair of the Board, not the ED.

Greg
Moulton
Non-profits and condominium associations should require a mandatory college-level course in ethics for anyone serving on the organization's Board of Trustees.
Yehudi
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 31st December 2007, 4:55am) *

She's ED

She is indeed. Carolyn Bothwell Doran
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.