Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Privacy Crusader strikes again
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
dogbiscuit
In WikBack Slim argues that IP stuff should be covered by NDA that goes with CheckUser Privileges, but somehow does not see that casual outing of privacy information is a contradictory position. The example in question was the casual listing of IP addresses and user names on an ArbCom page of editing infractions such as "sock puppet" IP editing. As ever, Wikipedian privacy is of the utmost importance unless there are issues for Wikipedia.

I think when people engage in the kind of disruption your example shows, they can't expect privacy, especially when they're repeatedly revealing their own IP addresses.

How did they reveal their IP addresses? Editing not signed in and then someone doing a checkuser against the IP address. This seems to contradict:

Your IP address will no longer be visible to other users, meaning you will have greater privacy. (Your IP address is still saved and accessible to users with Checkuser permission, but it is rare for this to be used.)

It is not that I get that excited about IP addresses myself, it just seems to get Wikipedians frothing - and we are told that the magic of signing in is that we do not have our IP revealed - unless it suits Wikipedia admins that is.

eternalsleeper
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 3rd January 2008, 3:40pm) *

In WikBack Slim argues that IP stuff should be covered by NDA that goes with CheckUser Privileges, but somehow does not see that casual outing of privacy information is a contradictory position. The example in question was the casual listing of IP addresses and user names on an ArbCom page of editing infractions such as "sock puppet" IP editing. As ever, Wikipedian privacy is of the utmost importance unless there are issues for Wikipedia.

I think when people engage in the kind of disruption your example shows, they can't expect privacy, especially when they're repeatedly revealing their own IP addresses.

How did they reveal their IP addresses? Editing not signed in and then someone doing a checkuser against the IP address. This seems to contradict:

Your IP address will no longer be visible to other users, meaning you will have greater privacy. (Your IP address is still saved and accessible to users with Checkuser permission, but it is rare for this to be used.)

It is not that I get that excited about IP addresses myself, it just seems to get Wikipedians frothing - and we are told that the magic of signing in is that we do not have our IP revealed - unless it suits Wikipedia admins that is.

That is certainly a sensative issue for many people who edit on Wikipedia, especially contributors who are in countries where it is dangerous to speak your mind. At the same time it prevents people from registering multiple accounts. So I don't know where to stand on this issue, maybe leave it how it is for now, it seems to be working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.