Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michel Bauwens : P2P Foundation
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Michel Bauwens : P2P Foundation

Is something fundamentally wrong with Wikipedia governance processes?

"The Wikipedia is often hailed as a prime example of peer production and peer governance, an example of how a community can self-govern very complex processes. Including by me.

But it is also increasingly showing the dark side and pitfalls of purely informal approaches, especially when they scale."
One
QUOTE(Newsfood @ Mon 7th January 2008, 5:20am) *

"The Wikipedia is often hailed as a prime example of peer production and peer governance, an example of how a community can self-govern very complex processes. Including by me.

But it is also increasingly showing the dark side and pitfalls of purely informal approaches, especially when they scale."

This is a nice summary with good links. Is it derived from somewhere else?
Amarkov
Indeed. It was a thread here; I'll go find the link.

Here you go. He appears to have taken the criticisms from that thread.
Moulton
This exemplifies the power of bearing accurate witness to the shortcomings in Wikipedia's organizational structure and operation.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 7th January 2008, 9:59am) *

This exemplifies the power of bearing accurate witness to the shortcomings in Wikipedia's organizational structure and operation.

It shows that taking the time to summarise clearly and calmly can do the trick - taking that out of a thread into the blog was a sensible move.

Very interesting was the comment from Henrik. He doesn't seem to have grasped that the majority of the article was from here (and it was attributed to be fair). He doesn't like what he sees and thinks a chat with Jimbo might sort it out... but then he thinks again.
Newsfood

Anthony Judge: the Wikipedia needs a process for counterclaims

"I have a very simple proposal for reforming part of the process of Wikipedia, which goes like this, and it aims to reinforce the role of experts, but not at the expense of the self-publishing by the general public.

The idea is this: as the examples of Nupedia and Citizendium have show, along with other expert-based pedia experiments, they do not advance well, because experts have little incentive as they have other sources, and they crowd out other contributions when they have power."
Moulton
QUOTE(From the article...)
My solution is therefore to create an extra talk page that is reserved for experts. Based on some form of credentialism, this page would be open to the experts and the aim would not be to create a rival page, but to supply the raw material for the page, point out mistakes and consistencies, and how alternatives sources not suffering from the defects of the main page. It would act as a mirror to the real page, and can be used as a source for the normal process.

I'd be happy just to have a personal talk page reserved and available for the purpose of identifying errors and inconsistencies, and for suggesting improvements. It occurs to me that good faith efforts to improve the accuracy, excellence, and ethics in WP article construction ought not to be summarily silenced for no good reason.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Newsfood @ Mon 7th January 2008, 12:20am) *

Just on first impression, the P2P Foundation blog and wiki look like solid resources for thinking about social media.

Initial comment by Jon Awbrey on the above blog post by Michel Bauwens —

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 08 Jan 2008 @ 00:12 UTC+2)

In my work on Inquiry Driven Systems it eventually became necessary to examine the blocks to inquiry that always seem to arise just as soon as any significant inquiry gets going.

A critical turning point occurs when a system equipped with an Interpretive Framework (IF) is able to reflect on its own IF to the degree that it develops a Reflective Interpretive Framework (RIF).

But if a community of inquiry obstructs or prohibits the requisite degree of critical reflection then it finds itself headed for the cul-de-sac of cult behavior.

Here is a pertinent passage from one of my working papers on the subject:

An interpretive framework (IF) is set to work when an agent or agency becomes involved in its organization and participates in the forms of activity that make it up. Often, an IF is founded and persists in operation long before any participant is able to reflect on its structure or to post a note of its character to the constituting members of the framework. In some cases, the rules of the IF in question forbid the act of reflecting on its form. In practice, to the extent that agents are actively involved in filling out the requisite forms and taking part in the step by step routines of the IF they may have little surplus memory capacity to memorandize the big picture even when it is permitted in principle.

— Jon Awbrey, "Inquiry Driven Systems"
­­

In the case of Wikipedia, we are dealing with a system that falls under the description of a Deliberately Unreflective Framework (DUF), that is, an IF in which “the rules of the IF in question forbid the act of reflecting on its form”.

Moulton
Wikipedia has the kind of culture that would summarily ban Socrates or Galileo.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 8th January 2008, 9:13pm) *

Wikipedia has the kind of culture that would summarily ban Socrates or Galileo.

Viewing that culture as a dynamic system, and watching its tragic trajectory arc so inexorably toward the fated lameness of the inevitable cul-de-sac — rhymes with cultist act — the question arises:

What are the vectors of approach and avoidance that ∑-ate to result in the ∑-ary ban of the very ∑-ers who add to the ∑ of human knowledge?

Jon Awbrey
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Newsfood @ Sun 6th January 2008, 11:20pm) *

YES.

Thank you for noticing Michel. And ps: What took you so long? (but great you finally came on board).
gomi
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 7th January 2008, 3:40am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 7th January 2008, 9:59am) *
It shows that taking the time to summarise clearly and calmly can do the trick - taking that out of a thread into the blog was a sensible move.

At the risk of appearing to pat myself on the back, I think this is a point worth emphasizing. To a significant degree, we at Wikipedia Review are as much an insider culture as Wikipedia itself. We use Wikipedia's silly acronyms (as well as making up our own), and we tend to comment in little snippets that often require significant research to track down and understand. The very nature of this BBS-style forum contributes to that, and I am as guilty as anyone here of giving in to the temptation to simply respond with a witty retort to a comment or observation.

One of my resolutions is that at least once a month I will sit down and write a brief essay, understandable by people not steeped in Wikipedia (or anti-Wikipedia) culture, that outlines a key problem or highlights an under-reported issue. I think the "breaking news" and "investigative journalism" aspects of Wikipedia Review have their place, but now that many/most people are aware of at least some of Wikipedia's shortcomings, we need to keep adding bricks to that wall.

Above all, the writing must be readable by the masses. As a colleague once taught me, "for the blind, write large". And no, that does not mean size=6.
Kato
This article is being discussed on Wikiback.

http://www.wikback.com/forums/ubbthreads.p...r=1122#Post1122

Jonny Cache
I'm not finding blogs very satisfactory as far as real dialogue goes. Partly it's my fault for being so prone to error in my typing that I have trouble working without a preview button. Plus, every blog out there seems to have a different syntax for links and formats, and some terminate your links with various degrees of extreme prejudice. But mostly I think it's the fact that even the most articulate article and commentary tends to get blogged down by the layers of peat that are laid down on top of it by succeeding bloggings.

So here's the typo-corrected version of my second post on the P2P Blog thread about Governance:

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 08 Jan 2008 @ 16:26 UTC+2)

Michel et al.,

Just from my cursory scans of these pages, it looks like the P2P group has a lot of solid sociotech concepts to offer but that it is just a bit shy of grasping the Realpolitik that determines the real dynamics of Wikipedia.

I invite the members of the P2P group to initiate threads at The Wikipedia Review where these issues might be more lesiurely discussed.

Moulton
Here, we can correct our spelling errors at our lesiure.
Jonny Cache
Another Comment at the Peer-To-Peer Foundation Blog —

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 12 Jan 2008 @ 18:45 UTC+2)

One of the “services” that Wikipedia “provides” is to show us everything that can go wrong with a Peer Ideal Project (PIP). I think that it’s fair to say that anything that can go wrong with a PIP has already gone wrong or will eventually go wrong at Wikipedia.

The uses of adversity are quite well known to the experimental mind, and information about worst case scenarios is extremely useful to those who know how to learn and adapt. Sadly, all too sadly, there is no critical mass of experimental minds at Wikipedia who are capable of reflecting on the symptoms of their current dysfunctionality and who, at the same time, have the power to correct their increasingly deflected course.

NB. In the interests of encouraging wider dialogue, I am dual-posting my comments on this thread at The Wikipedia Review.

guy
lesiurely

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 12th January 2008, 4:26pm) *

I hope Moulton isn't nitpicking.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(guy @ Sat 12th January 2008, 12:26pm) *

lesiurely

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 12th January 2008, 4:26pm) *

I hope Moulton isn't nitpicking.

Sumtomes a typo is an archetypo.

— Carl Disgustav Jung

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
A Comment at the Peer-To-Peer Foundation Blog:

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 13 Jan 2008 @ 21:30 UTC+2)

These proposals remind me of the Debate Guide Project that Larry Sanger started at his Textop Wiki, before he abandonned (back-burnered?) those projects to start up yet another, to wit, Citizendium.

I think that it can make for a very healthy intellectual exercise to run the flags of our various and sundry dispositions up the flagpole of a project to build the Ideal Distributed Encyclopedia — just so long as we understand that nothing like the winds of critical reflective practice will ever disturb the doldrums of Wikipedia itself.

There is but one brand of banner that holds sway over that field.

Jonny Cache
There is a fairly lively dialogue currently taking place on the parallel thread at the P2P Blog.

Here is a typo-corrected copy of my own latest comment:

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 14 Jan 2008 @ 16:36 UTC+2)

I think that it is very important to distinguish Open Source projects in the software domain from so-called "Open Source" projects in other domains, especially non-technical domains like amateur journalism and general information almanacks of the Wikipedia variety.

The discipline of programming and the rigor of technical documentation maintain a constant reality check on Open Source software projects. No one there decries the brand of expertise that can prove itself in practice. It is not incidental that GFDL was designed to suit just those domains, not the kinds of domains where the infantile whims of Power Rangerâ„¢ fanatics can defeat the good faith efforts of ethical reporters and lifelong scholars.

mbauwens

John, I'm interested in your DUF. Would you consider writing a summary of the concept for our section on peer governance, see http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Category:Governance

Jonny Cache
QUOTE(mbauwens @ Mon 14th January 2008, 11:13pm) *

Jon, I'm interested in your DUF [Deliberately Unreflective Framework]. Would you consider writing a summary of the concept for our section on peer governance, see http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Category:Governance

Yes, I've been thinking about how to do that since I got your email. Your request for "a text that is introductory, without too much terse language" is one of the things that incited me to return to some of my first articulations of these ideas, that I wrote up in a kind of "Vision Piece" in 1992 and that I later re-titled "Prospects For Inquiry Driven Systems".

By way of Coming Attractors, Strange Or Otherwise, I should explain that I think of Governance as an exercise in Cybernetic Problem-Solving or Pragmatic Design Science.

Another set of previously canned (and panned) ideas that I may try to recycle in this effort would be some of the remarks on Governance that I wrote up for the "Constitutional Convention", as it were, of Larry Sanger's Citizendium Project. I tried to incorporate everything that I had learned from the post mortem of Wikipedia, but Larry Sanger seemed to think that simply Running A Charge Through The Hulk of his Co-Foundling Frankenstein Mobster would be all it took to do the trick.

At any rate, I'll be trying to see if I can come up with something suitable for the Peer-To-Peer application.

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
My experience with dysfunctional governance of online communities is that that they fail to get past the first four rungs of the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder. In my experience, social networking sites that fail to ascend at least to the fifth rung become mired in lamentable misadventures in self-regulation.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 15th January 2008, 7:34am) *

My experience with dysfunctional governance of online communities is that that they fail to get past the first four rungs of the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder. In my experience, social networking sites that fail to ascend at least to the fifth rung become mired in lamentable misadventures in self-regulation.

I spun off a separate thread for discussing Ethical Stages, Novice-Expert Shifts, and your paper on "Experiences with Civility and the Role of a Social Contract in Virtual Communities".

I also started a Governance Meta-Thread for collecting some of our old discussions on governance issues, and hopefully moving forward from there.

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
Good. Perhaps we can boil down our collective observations into a WR Op-Ed piece.
Jonny Cache
A Comment On Deck at the P2P Foundation Blog:

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 16 Jan 2008 @ 20:14 UTC+2)

Implementing a disciplined process for balancing the counterclaims of experienced observers and scholars is next to impossible in Wikipedia.

The necessary level of respect for differentially informed perspectives is just not present there. The prerequisite order of critical reflection on whatever point of view is currently dominant is just not possible there.

The pretence of neutrality cast in the Iron Cage of WP:NPOV and the pretence of objectivity cast in the Leaden Eye of WP:NOR simply do not allow a genuine negotiation among different views to proceed, much less to succeed there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.