Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michael Arrington : TechCrunch
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Michael Arrington : TechCrunch

Wikia Search Is A Complete Letdown.

"Many of us have waited a year as the Jimmy Wales hype machine promised a human powered search engine that could take on Google. Tonight that search engine launched at alpha.search.wikia.com, and it may be one of the biggest disappointments I’ve had the displeasure of reviewing."
One
Jimmy Wales
January 6th, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Actually, Michael, I told every single reporter I talked to that this is not a google killer at this point. Of course, you didn’t ask for an interview, so I understand that you didn’t know that. smile.gif

I have been trying pretty hard to DAMPEN the hype because I knew people like you would beat me up. Well, here it is, you beat me up. My prediction is right.

But that’s ok. It was expected.

Heh.
dogbiscuit
Mike replies to Jimmy in his own comments:

And the real problem here isn’t that the search sucks. That’s beside the point. It’s that you haven’t launched any of the tools that can allow humans to make it better. Until you do, the engine can’t get any better than it is now.

In other words, you excuse the pathetic launch as simply being a proof of concept, but you have provided no means to... prove the concept.

From linked blog http://www.centernetworks.com/wikia-search-goes-live

Jimbo moans:

The difference is, of course, now everyone watches with great expectations everything I do. smile.gif

The quote from the Ego is wrong in so many ways for such a short sentence. wacko.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 8th January 2008, 5:09am) *

Mike replies to Jimmy in his own comments:

And the real problem here isn’t that the search sucks. That’s beside the point. It’s that you haven’t launched any of the tools that can allow humans to make it better. Until you do, the engine can’t get any better than it is now.

And, is anyone other than me asking, "It took you 13 months to get to this proof-of-concept?"

Greg
Moulton
I think it's time to coin the phrase, Proof of Misconception.
Jonny Cache
Ipse Mighta Dixit —

"Reports of my DMOZ are greatly exaggerated"

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 8th January 2008, 6:42am) *

I think it's time to coin the phrase, Proof of Misconception.

Jimbo is the Prof of Misdirection.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.