Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelly Martin : Nonbovine Ruminations
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Kelly Martin : Nonbovine Ruminations

Do as I say, not as I do

"During the Late Great Userbox Wars, Jimmy Wales reminded us all about how it's a bad idea to use your userpage to forward a political ideology, that one's user page should be about oneself as a Wikipedian, and not for some other purpose."
Moulton
QUOTE(Kelly Martin)
Hypocrisy in action.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Newsfood @ Sun 13th January 2008, 1:08pm) *

Kelly Martin : Nonbovine Ruminations

Do as I say, not as I do

"During the Late Great Userbox Wars, Jimmy Wales reminded us all about how it's a bad idea to use your userpage to forward a political ideology, that one's user page should be about oneself as a Wikipedian, and not for some other purpose."

I'm not certain Kelly has this right. WP has always had a self-indulgent, internet culture that has tolerated the expression of solidarity for geek causes. Not that Wei Wenhua is only a geek cause, as it has wider and more important implications. It is, however, the fact that he was a blogger that is important to Wikipedians, including Mr. Wales. Probably just about anybody (other than banned users or other out-castes, literally) could safely post statements of support for Wei Wenhua on Wikipedia. Remember the strange displays of outrage around the not publishing the "illegal number" used to de-encrypt DVDs? Same is probably true for expression of support for "net neutrality."

Her point that the application of all sanctions has a hidden factor of social influence is correct. This means the sole flounder can get away with murder. The use of Wei Wenhua to illustrate this is a little off the mark.
Moulton
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 13th January 2008, 1:29pm) *
Her point that the application of all sanctions has a hidden factor of social influence is correct.

Moreover, the belief that one can control others through the selective use of sanctions is not only a popular political belief, it's a profoundly foolish one.

Unless, of course, one is interested in promoting drama.
everyking
It's a funny thing to wipe and protect your talk page as an expression of support for free speech, isn't it?
Moulton
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 13th January 2008, 1:45pm) *
wipe and protect

That's gotta be the motto of some fine public service organization.
Robster
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 13th January 2008, 1:50pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 13th January 2008, 1:45pm) *
wipe and protect

That's gotta be the motto of some fine public service organization.

Wyeth Pharmaceuticals?
Moulton
Do they make Antiseptic Handi-Wipes?
dtobias
Lots of people turned their Web pages black in the mid '90s to protest the Communications Decency Act and its (soon ruled unconstitutional) censorship provisions.
Robster
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 13th January 2008, 3:52pm) *

Do they make Antiseptic Handi-Wipes?

No. They make this. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.