Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Durova articles gone from Google
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Durova
Disillusioned Lackey
Yep. While the stories of N. Durova's collusion with animals (!) remains online, the many stories of the Divine Ms. D are gone to the world. Do a Google, on both news and blogs. Nothing there.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 19th January 2008, 10:01am) *

Yep. While the stories of N. Durova's collusion with animals (!) remains online, the many stories of the Divine Ms. D are gone to the world. Do a Google, on both news and blogs. Nothing there.

I still get quite a few results on regular search and blogs, but nothing on news.
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 19th January 2008, 5:06am) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 19th January 2008, 10:01am) *

I still get quite a few results on regular search and blogs, but nothing on news.

Me too. Lots of good pages when you search for 'Durova admin' and 'Durova refactor'.

There are also still a few news stories. They probably look "missing" to you because Google archives the news after a month, I believe.

Greg
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 19th January 2008, 8:59am) *

There are also still a few news stories. They probably look "missing" to you because Google archives the news after a month, I believe.

Greg

Not so that I didn't check. Do a news search on Durova, for all of 2007. Taint there.

Someone did a whitewash.

Or installed a screen.

At least at the one-word level.
Moulton
Doesn't Google eventually purge from cache old news stories that are no longer to be found on the primary news site?

Many sites maintain their own archives of old stories, but these are no longer news stories. They become semi-permanent web sites for regular Google searches.
thekohser
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th January 2008, 7:32am) *

Doesn't Google eventually purge from cache old news stories that are no longer to be found on the primary news site?

Many sites maintain their own archives of old stories, but these are no longer news stories. They become semi-permanent web sites for regular Google searches.

DL, I'm sorry, but I get 28 news story results for "Durova" when limiting the search to 2007. Granted, most of them don't have anything to do with "our" Durova, but some of them do.

I agree with Moulton's assessment of Google purging stuff. The article about me and my business that was (in January 2007) picked up by over 180 Google news sources, now appears to only have been archived on Google through about 40 sources. The other 140 presumably took away their articles, or they archive them into fee-subscription sections on their site that Google doesn't spider.

I honestly do not believe that Lise Broer has the power to influence what Google proffers as "Durova" news search results.

Greg
Moulton
Some newsworthy events leave a fossil record. Others are as ephemeral as an ocean wave.
Miltopia
Once I googled "Wikipedia Review" (without quotes) on Google and did not get this website. I even posted about it here.

Maybe Google is just weird like that sometimes.
Moulton
Words with lots of vowels in them are prone to typos. Google may or may not find the intended match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.