Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seth Finkelstein : Infothought
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Seth Finkelstein : Infothought

Andrew Orlowski reviews Nick Carr's book "Big Switch"

"Echo: Nick Carr's Big Switch

The "Web 2.0" affliction of has so far only infected the media and political classes, with isolated outbreaks in marketing and the social sciences. ... But where it strikes, it seems to take over the unfortunate victim's entire brain; and that's still a lot of people with public policy influence..."
Moulton
When I was a youngster in public school, they gave us all song flutes. These were cheap plastic flutes that could nonetheless play authentic music. Except few of us mustered the talent to actually play the damn things.

Web 2.0 technologies are much like those song flutes. We're not making very much beautiful music together.

Flouting Web 2.0 is like flouting the song flute of the 1950s.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 21st January 2008, 11:14am) *

When I was a youngster in public school, they gave us all song flutes. These were cheap plastic flutes that could nonetheless play authentic music. Except few of us mustered the talent to actually play the damn things.

Web 2.0 technologies are much like those song flutes. We're not making very much beautiful music together.

Flouting Web 2.0 is like flouting the song flute of the 1950s.

Oscarina Ãœber Alles : I Luuuve Trash!

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
The superficial relationship with the internet means that Wikipedia - a simulation of an encyclopaedia - is only really harmful when we believe it. So the data mining will pay dividends only when you're selling superficiality - Chuck Norris jokes, for example - and is unlikely to be of much use to anyone else. Marketeers, beware.

AO, from his book review of Nick Carr's Big Switch

AO has thunder stealing capacity to make the reader wish he had written the book he reviews.
Kato
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 21st January 2008, 5:11pm) *

AO has thunder stealing capacity to make the reader wish he had written the book he reviews.

Yup, Orlowski's really, really good and I don't know what we as a collection of critics would do without him. Nicholas Carr, the reviewed author, is no slouch either and I'm a big fan. Here's Carr's blog, search for what he says about WP :

http://www.roughtype.com/

Orlowski was (is) a member of the Wikipedia Review and wrote this a couple of years back :

QUOTE(Orlowski @ Mon 17th April 2006, 9:06am) *

Thanks for the vote. This board has really become a focal point for some very astute criticism in the last few weeks. I'm prompted to write because to me it's clear to most impartial observers now that not only is Wikipedia unsustainable as a project, along the utopian lines on which it was founded, but as an emblem of "the information society' it's a few spanners short of a full set. In other words, is Wikipedia the best we can do?

Wikipedia has a billion articles, but only about a couple of dozen are useful to anyone. When Joe Public turns to Wikipedia, seeking anything other than a catalog of Star Trek characters, then it's found to be sorely wanting.

So I'm not so much interested in the bureaucracy of Wikipedia as the consequences of a glut of Wikipedified information. I think this is something Jason Scott picked up on in his talk recently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.