Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DoRighting the Right Thing
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Gary Weiss and his cavalcade of socks
Piperdown
DoRight is what you would call a Pop-up sock.

Deep in the sock drawer, like that old blanket (toss blanket, guy?) that you bring out every 6 months when the going gets too hot on WP, you can always depend on a cameo appearance.

This time, he even made sure in his edit summary to use a lower-case "talk" and a single "dash". So that clears it up, he's defininitely not too blame. And he'll come in real handy being the oldest of the moldy socks. Ban his other accounts, but he can rely on the old fallback. While you do the right thing, he'll be DoRighting his thing, same as always. This one is even still admin-worthy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Doright
Kato
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 14th February 2008, 8:28am) *

I think they're also overlooking how Gary Weiss has very similar usernames. Always deceased famous people except for the account Lastexit.

Lastexit = Last Exit to Brooklyn?

DoRight = Do the Right Thing? (famously set in Brooklyn)

Gary Weiss is based in Brooklyn. Just throwin' that curve ball in.

(MODERATOR : this post and continuing thread have been moved from here)
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 14th February 2008, 1:33am) *

Lastexit = Last Exit to Brooklyn?

DoRight = Do the Right Thing? (famously set in Brooklyn)

Gary Weiss is based in Brooklyn. Just throwin' that curve ball in.

User:DoRight is not a known user. What is the full username of that?
Kato
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 14th February 2008, 8:51am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&target=Doright

I have no idea whether this is a Mantansock, I saw the name mentioned by someone else as a potential MM sock used during the 'Martin Luther inspired the Nazis' assault organized by SV.
Somey
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 14th February 2008, 2:51am) *

Like Kato says, it's actually User:Doright, as WP usernames are case-sensitive...

And of course, for those of you who haven't been properly exposed to late-60's TV cartoon shows, Dudley Doright was the oversize-chinned member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who fought the infamous Snidely Whiplash to protect his girlfriend, Nell Fenwick, daughter of Inspector Fenwick. I seem to recall Penelope Pitstop being somehow involved as well, but that was probably a completely different show...
LamontStormstar
Ah that's what it is. It's User:Doright

People kept capitalizing the R.

Is that a Gary Weiss sock? It edits purely Jewish articles and not the overstock stuff

Can someone do that whole time of day edits test on it vs. the known gary weiss socks of Mantanmoreland, Samiharris, Tomstoner, and Lastexit? Plus someone who knows how, can you do the tests like edit summary phrases used as done here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SirFozzi...x#Summary_table

Proabivouac
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 14th February 2008, 8:54am) *

I have no idea whether this is a Mantansock, I saw the name mentioned by someone else as a potential MM sock used during the 'Martin Luther inspired the Nazis' assault organized by SV.

Are we sure that's Mantanmoreland? What's the evidence for this particular identification?
Kato
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 14th February 2008, 9:00am) *

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 14th February 2008, 2:51am) *

Like Kato says, it's actually User:Doright, as WP usernames are case-sensitive...

And of course, for those of you who haven't been properly exposed to late-60's TV cartoon shows, Dudley Doright was the oversize-chinned member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who fought the infamous Snidely Whiplash to protect his girlfriend, Nell Fenwick, daughter of Inspector Fenwick. I seem to recall Penelope Pitstop being somehow involved as well, but that was probably a completely different show...

Wasn't there some shenanigans regarding a Dudley on this board? Which looked for all intents and purposes like Mantan coming here to attack Wordbomb?

See this thread

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=24216

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Thu 14th February 2008, 9:02am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 14th February 2008, 8:54am) *

Are we sure that's Mantanmoreland? What's the evidence for this particular identification?

This is quite old stuff, and my memory has been buffeted by the 100s of revolving cases that come before our court every week. Somey'll have the low-down on this better than anyone else. It is to do with the Martin Luther article, where Mantan stepped in to help Slim enforce the Luther was an anti-semite angle. Various theories were mooted here, one of which was that it played a role in "admin-grooming" by Mantan, getting the powerful admins like Slim and Jayjg on side for help with the Gary Weiss article against Wordy & co.

At any rate, "Dudley" came here to discredit Judd. "Doright" supported Slim, Jayjg and Mantan at every possible juncture on WP.

Assuming that our Dudley and WPs Doright are the same person who has taken their name from the cartoon character; who is really interested in both Overstock and Martin Luther? Mantanmoreland. Who would come onto this site using a cloak proxy IP to discredit Judd Bagley and show links to Gary Weiss's blog? Guess who .
Cedric
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 14th February 2008, 3:12am) *

This is quite old stuff, and my memory has been buffeted by the 100s of revolving cases that come before our court every week. Somey'll have the low-down on this better than anyone else. It is to do with the Martin Luther article, where Mantan stepped in to help Slim enforce the Luther was an anti-semite angle. Various theories were mooted here, one of which was that it played a role in "admin-grooming" by Mantan, getting the powerful admins like Slim and Jayjg on side for help with the Gary Weiss article against Wordy & co.

At any rate, "Dudley" came here to discredit Judd. "Doright" supported Slim, Jayjg and Mantan at every possible juncture on WP.

Assuming that our Dudley and WPs Doright are the same person who has taken their name from the cartoon character; who is really interested in both Overstock and Martin Luther? Mantanmoreland. Who would come onto this site using a cloak proxy IP to discredit Judd Bagley and show links to Gary Weiss's blog? Guess who .

For those of us familiar with the old cartoon show, the associations Weiss/Mannisox was trying to make are fairly obvious:

FORUM Image

Dudley Doright = Gary Weiss/Mannisox

Snidely Whiplash = Judd Bagley/WordBomb

Nell Fenwick = Wikipedia

As for Horse . . . well, perhaps the less said of Horse, the better. tongue.gif
Somey

We believe Gary W. actually has three WR member accounts, though only "Dudley" has posted anything and the identification of one of those three is somewhat tenuous. Dudley's purpose was mainly to point out that Mr. Wordbomb had worked on a Jeb Bush gubernatorial campaign at one point, which, admittedly, tends to suggest that Mr. Wordbomb does not always play for the Good Guys. (At least it wasn't a George W. Bush campaign, not that that makes it excusable.) However, the irony of Mr. Dudley's attempt at anonymous "negative campaigning" in that instance was presumably lost on him.

Also, I'd hasten to point out that it isn't the claim that Martin Luther was an anti-semite that so many people (including myself) are upset about. Luther was, indeed, anti-semitic, as was most of Northern Europe at the time. The issue involves the claim, in the intro of Luther's biography, that he inspired the Nazis, implying that Nazism might have never happened in the absence of Luther's writings. It's probably reasonable to mention Luther in the article about Nazis, but it's wrong to mention the Nazis in the article about Luther... I could almost see having a separate article on the controversy over the extent to which he influenced them, but putting something like that in the intro of the biography is ridiculously biased, one of the worst examples of undue emphasis I've seen on Wikipedia (and that's saying quite a lot). And of course, the things they did to ensure that the Nazi mention stayed in place were obviously abusive in the extreme.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 14th February 2008, 9:55am) *

For those of us familiar with the old cartoon show, the associations Weiss/Mannisox was trying to make are fairly obvious:

FORUM Image

Dudley Doright = Gary Weiss/Mannisox

Snidely Whiplash = Judd Bagley/WordBomb

Nell Fenwick = Wikipedia

As for Horse . . . well, perhaps the less said of Horse, the better. tongue.gif

Nell Fenwick = Wikipedia = Catherine The Great

∑1 had to say it …

Jonny cool.gif
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 14th February 2008, 2:55pm) *

For those of us familiar with the old cartoon show, the associations Weiss/Mannisox was trying to make are fairly obvious…

I just browsed all of Doright's contribs, and couldn't find anything related to Overstock. The list of subjects looks like that of any of a number of editors interested in Zionism, anti-semitism etc.; nothing remarkable there.
WordBomb
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 14th February 2008, 5:00am) *

Ah that's what it is. It's User:Doright

People kept capitalizing the R.

Is that a Gary Weiss sock? It edits purely Jewish articles and not the overstock stuff

Can someone do that whole time of day edits test on it vs. the known gary weiss socks of Mantanmoreland, Samiharris, Tomstoner, and Lastexit? Plus someone who knows how, can you do the tests like edit summary phrases used as done here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SirFozzi...x#Summary_table
Early, early on, I thought that Doright was a Weiss sock. But I've had doubts lately, and today I officially convinced myself that there is no direct link.

So...I suggest we quit worrying about Doright (in this context, anyway) because s/he ain't Weiss.
Moulton
Once again, a wild goose chase of the sort that would never happen in the real world of crafting an encyclopedia, where all the writers and editors are known to each other and backed up by real-world credentials in their area of subject-matter expertise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.