Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo coming clean
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Jimbo is spilling his guts.

He admits that he's not paid enough attention to the belittlement of Larry Sanger.

He admits that the Foundation's lawyer advised the Board not to disclose what they knew about Carolyn Doran.

These comments really should get picked up by the media for another round of examination, does anyone agree?

Greg
Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 11th March 2008, 7:58pm) *
He admits that he's not paid enough attention to the belittlement of Larry Sanger.

I wonder, has he ever suggested a term that he prefers to describe Sanger's role? Like maybe "idea man" or "conceptual guiding force behind"?

He admits that the Foundation's lawyer advised the Board not to disclose what they knew about Carolyn Doran.

I wouldn't necessarily say that - "I do not ... think it is a bad idea to follow the advice of one's attorney in such matters" sounds fairly non-substantive to me. Of course, his attorney probably told him to write that.
Piperdown
in light of my recent traumatization from seeing the Marsden Ebay photos, this thread's headline left me shell-shock shy of opening it up.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 12th March 2008, 2:30am) *

I wouldn't necessarily say that - "I do not ... think it is a bad idea to follow the advice of one's attorney in such matters" sounds fairly non-substantive to me. Of course, his attorney probably told him to write that.

But again, what is the attorney advising him about? Whether or not to fire Carolyn Doran for borrowing $5000 over a weekend? I don't think so. Again, I think the kernal has been alluded to. This must involve bail, and bail for WHAT.

Consider Carolyn's position. She had to bail herself out, or else explain why she was in jail come Monday, instead of at work. Easier to use the Foundation card on the weekend, and Monday arrange for a loan from somebody else, so as to be able to write a check back to the Foundation on Tuesday. Hoping they'd never find out. And it would have worked. I don't think they honestly caught any of that, for quite a while. No lawyer necessary.

When later, she violated parole by going to Europe, she did it on Foundation business, which means while still employed by the Foundation, she obviously hadn't been fired YET. I think when she was informed somewhat later that she was wanted for parole violation, having left the country (and since returned) and therefore was set to be incarcerated without bail being possible (since it was on a parole violation, thus a bench warrant being issued), THAT is when the Foundation found out. Somebody probably showed up at her work, looking to arrest her. Or she found out about the outstanding warrent from her parole officer and had to tell her bosses. So then the Foundation quickly fired her, and their attorney told them to shut up. THEN they looked at the books and found the quick money shuffle, after she was gone. And kept that very quiet.

But I think the whole thing didn't leak to the Register until she actually was put in the klink, which (for reasons I don't understand) took still more time. Perhaps she made a deal to stay out until she'd arranged her life (this can be done for nonviolent offenses). She wasn't imprisoned after an arrest; I think she surrendered herself. Thus, the start of her actual incarceration for the violation was therefore long after she was gone from the Foundation, and her absense had already been noticed by Foundation members not in the "know", and had been curiously commented on. As in "Hey! Have you seen Carolyn, lately?"

"No. I thought she was shacked up with Jimmy.."

Okay, that was mean. tongue.gif

--Milt
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 12th March 2008, 2:30am) *

In the process of looking up what Duran's user-privileges were last Summer, I came across this interesting July 7, 2007 blog, which you may have already discussed here (apologies if so), but was new to me: http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/...ansparency.html

It features people saying, "Hey, where's Carolyn Duran?? I see her job is being advertized for. Why no anouncement?" Stuff like that. There's "Durova" posting under her street name, and then David Gerard chimes in, as his usual sweet self:

Gerard:
I will now reveal the actual reason there was no announcement: Because there's no reason there should have been one.

Board members certainly, people with heavy public contact probably, back-office staff how is that the world's business? This is a charity, not a sideshow. There's transparency and then there's "wtf."

FWIW, she left for personal reasons unconnected to WMF, who were sorry to see her go, and was very helpful in handover.

So, there you are. The answer is not transparency but "wtf." I'm not sure of this Gerard acronym, but he seems a nice man, so it probably means "wikipedia truthiness fix-up." Per Gerard, "for what it's worth" (got this one right) she left for personal reasons unconnected with WikiMediaFoundation (I got that, too). Which means, apparently, unconnected with WMF, after they pushed her out the door with a cardboard box in her arms, and a boot against her bum.

Certainly not for anything in July that any attorney would be telling Jimbo not to comment on. No, no, no.

I come to praise Gerard. He is, evidently, also an honorable man. So are they all, at WMF, honorable men. mellow.gif

-MR

Somey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 11th March 2008, 10:29pm) *
I come to praise Gerard. He is, evidently, also an honorable man. So are they all, at WMF, honorable men. mellow.gif

But how do we know he's a man? The photos are really sort of inconclusive, IMO...

Dave's one of those guys who can't decide if he wants to be a hatchet man or a professional apologist, so he tries to be both, but really isn't that good at either, I'm afraid. He can be funny on occasion, though. Or at least that's what he says...

Either way, he isn't particularly forthright in his opinions. Anybody who's honest would tell you that Wikipedia is a sideshow, and definitely not a charity. I have to assume that the only reason anybody donates money to it is that amusing sideshows are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Nevertheless: I too can see why they wouldn't necessarily have felt compelled to advertise Carolyn Doran's position. After all, they were looking for someone local, and putting an announcement on Wikipedia would have meant they would have gotten a load of resumes from creepy college-age wiki-addicts who probably would have insisted that they'd relocate from gawd-knows where for what was probably a $25K per-year job, tops. Who has time for that? We have a hard enough time here at WR, dealing with all the applicants for the latest opening in our Neverending Wild Sex Division, and the salary is only a little higher than that. (Don't all apply at once, folks!)
thekohser
Excellent use of "the studly years" Ricardo Montalban in your signature, Milton!
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 12th March 2008, 7:32am) *

Excellent use of "the studly years" Ricardo Montalban in your signature, Milton!

"Better to rule in Hell …"

Jonny cool.gif
Moulton
Jimbo isn't spilling his guts. That was just a light burp.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 12th March 2008, 5:17am) *

But how do we know he's a man? The photos are really sort of inconclusive, IMO...

It's a man- it's just one that's very eww ohmy.gif He doesn't have the hair to be a woman (the thickness of the hair I mean) and he has too strong a nose/brow bone or whatever. Anyway, we've seen pics of the wife and lady friend.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Thu 13th March 2008, 1:38am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 12th March 2008, 5:17am) *

It's a man- it's just one that's very eww ohmy.gif He doesn't have the hair to be a woman (the thickness of the hair I mean) and he has too strong a nose/brow bone or whatever. Anyway, we've seen pics of the wife and lady friend.

Far, far worse than that - he's a Goth; a sort of Wannabe One of the Undead (but without the benefit of only appearing when its dark) who believed that the answer for teen angst is panstick makeup and the wearing of clothes tailored for someone six sizes larger, and that a bastardized melange of punks more pretentious moments and sexist heavy glam pop of a decade previous was going to be the music of the future...

This is quite relevent, since it is that corrupted sense of "individualism" and naff sensibility that still dictates his life - which is very apparent in the way he still conducts himself. i.e. wtf? means "what the fuck?" but he just quite bring himself to say that in general company. Fucking easy to be the man they can't keep down when your mate is the figurehead - not so where what you say and what you do are the only things that define you.

Frankly, David Gerard is the revenge of Andii from the Sex Gang Children - and it ain't pretty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.