Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a leak from arbcom-l?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
C H
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=199573382

Has arbcom-l ever been leaked before?
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(C H @ Thu 20th March 2008, 2:19pm) *

Ah, a drive-by wikipedia shooting.

And if anybody doubts for one second that the rulers of wikipedia encourage and need falsehood and melodrama, take a look at the list of individuals endorsing Alison's foot-stamping: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=199475190
Pumpkin Muffins

The arbcom *mailing list* leaks constantly. Besides arbitrators, it is populated with a large number of former arbitrators. My favorite was Kelly Martins blog noting the 600 emails about Jayjg and SV, and they still couldn't figure out what to do with those two. (Kelly had resigned from the list by that time).
C H
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Thu 20th March 2008, 10:10am) *

The arbcom *mailing list* leaks constantly.

{{fact}} I doubt that very much.

Besides arbitrators, it is populated with a large number of former arbitrators. My favorite was Kelly Martins blog noting the 600 emails about Jayjg and SV, and they still couldn't figure out what to do with those two. (Kelly had resigned from the list by that time).

Kelly said "rumor has it" which is far from saying any emails had been leaked to her. As far as I know, there has been no confirmed arbcom-l leak until that post on Majorly's talk page. If I'm wrong, please point me to the evidence.
The Wales Hunter
It will surprise few that the teenage toy thrower has now posted this on his blog!

http://majorlyhot.blogspot.com/2008/03/arbcom-list-leak.html
Moulton
Other factors aside, at least Majorly is not ignoring his critics.
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(C H @ Thu 20th March 2008, 3:53pm) *

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Thu 20th March 2008, 10:10am) *

The arbcom *mailing list* leaks constantly.

{{fact}} I doubt that very much.

Maybe that's true about public leaks. But do you also doubt it when it comes to private leaks - list members leaking to their friends in confidence?
Kato
The most absurd thing about those arbitrator statements, if true, is that they are castigating a relatively uncontroversial admin in Majorly. Meanwhile, a small group of Wiki-crazies are turning every Wiki-drama into a Cade Metz special in the Register.

And they can't do anything about them. tongue.gif (See JzG rfc. See Mantanmoreland arbitration etc)
Amarkov
No no, it's not that they can't do anything. But if they did, then they would cause drama! And the arbitration committee must avoid causing drama at all costs.

What's that? With a little temporary drama they can remove all the drama that people like JzG create in perpetuity? LALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU TALKING ABOUT FUTURE BENEFITS
everyking
I feel so friendless, because despite being the subject of ArbCom attention for more than three years, nobody has yet leaked to me a single word of what the ArbCom has been writing about me on their private mailing list. Perhaps someone out there might be willing to share a few of those words, publicly or privately? To have insight into some of the ArbCom's baffling decisions would be invaluable.
Somey
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:15am) *
Perhaps someone out there might be willing to share a few of those words, publicly or privately?

"Fantastic human being" - FT2

"A shining beacon of light and hope for the world" - FloNight

"Easily our best editor ever - others don't even come close (or come, period)" - Jimbo Wales

"What can I possibly say that would even approach an accurate expression of the depth of my feelings for Everyking? He encompasses his own pantheon of all we, as Wikipedians, hold dear. I would sacrifice everything I possess, indeed my very life, for this man" - Eloquence

"I'd definitely do him, multiple times even" - David Gerard

"There's almost no way to fully or properly recognize EK's amazing, even sublime, contributions to the encyclopedia. I just don't see how anything we do could possibly be adequate, given the degree to which he's raised our level of quality and sophistication, almost since Day One. I don't think I've ever suggested this before, but maybe in his case, just this once, we should give him... a barnstar!" - Kelly Martin

"Isn't that a misspelling? Oh wait, I get it now." - Raul654

"He's got the chops!" - Deskana

"Personally, I think it's high time I was unsubscribed from this list. It's quite interesting and all, but I'm basically just here to leak confidential stuff from it, most likely at the most embarrassing times imaginable. So having me as a subscriber is actually sort of self-defeating." - Somey
BobbyBombastic
laugh.gif

Following up on this, "the incident is being investigate with the utmost urgency." I wonder who they are blaming?

I've been waiting for the revision to be deleted or oversighted since it was posted, I must admit I am disappointed it hasn't! Think of the missed drama...sad.gif
Knight
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 21st March 2008, 6:13pm) *

laugh.gif

Following up on this, "the incident is being investigate with the utmost urgency." I wonder who they are blaming?

I've been waiting for the revision to be deleted or oversighted since it was posted, I must admit I am disappointed it hasn't! Think of the missed drama...sad.gif

T'would be a bit pointless to delete a post which Majorly has already reproduced on his blog:
darbyl
QUOTE(Knight @ Fri 21st March 2008, 11:45am) *

laugh.gif

T'would be a bit pointless to delete a post which Majorly has already reproduced on his blog:

Never stopped them before.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(darbyl @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:53pm) *

laugh.gif

Past practice has been to to delete things like that and claim it was removed for hilarious reasons such as copyright, privacy, etc. and thereby alluding that anyone reproducing it is violating copyright, a person's privacy, or even The Law. An example is the Durova email, which Bastique deleted (or oversighted?) because of copyright. Heh.

Jorge reposted it here, but make sure you click the diff where Giano first posted it, which is at the top of the post. It's gone! ohmy.gif
darbyl
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 21st March 2008, 12:12pm) *

QUOTE(darbyl @ Fri 21st March 2008, 2:53pm) *

laugh.gif

Past practice has been to to delete things like that and claim it was removed for hilarious reasons such as copyright, privacy, etc. and thereby alluding that anyone reproducing it is violating copyright, a person's privacy, or even The Law. An example is the Durova email, which Bastique deleted (or oversighted?) because of copyright. Heh.

Jorge reposted it here, but make sure you click the diff where Giano first posted it, which is at the top of the post. It's gone! ohmy.gif

Yup, but you forgot the part where they label any site reproducing the offending material a BADSITE and ban anyone who mentions it.
No one of consequence

Wasn't there a leak on Wikipedia Review itself a few weeks ago? It was either from the Arbcom-L list or Arbcom's wiki.

Yes there was, here.
Jonny Cache
Public Service Announcement for ArbContinence Sufferers

QUOTE(C H @ Thu 20th March 2008, 10:19am) *

User Talk:Majorly&diff=199583394&oldid=199573382

Has arbcom-l ever been leaked before?

badlydrawnjeff
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 21st March 2008, 6:15am) *

I feel so friendless, because despite being the subject of ArbCom attention for more than three years, nobody has yet leaked to me a single word of what the ArbCom has been writing about me on their private mailing list. Perhaps someone out there might be willing to share a few of those words, publicly or privately? To have insight into some of the ArbCom's baffling decisions would be invaluable.

I guess we're both egotistical asses, then. haha!
UseOnceAndDestroy

No-one - judging from the tone of Brad's comment - please tell if you know who did it - the "urgent" investigation consists of waiting for a squealer.

The "leak" is intended to humiliate Majorly, as a punishment. Given that the "arbitrators" put their stamp of approval on yesterday's tantrum, is it really surprising if one of them took it upon themselves to crap all over the hapless character who didn't shut up and blindly do what Alison told him to do?

Moral: on wikipedia, no matter how good your point is, you'll get punished if you don't follow the leaders.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Fri 21st March 2008, 7:12pm) *

Thanks for that link. Since I never read the Durova email about how to detect seasoned deep-cover mole SOCKs, I got a chuckle out of it. Too bad nobody channeled Durova when seasoned sock Crum375 was being accused of being a proxy for the Slim One, since the implanting of Crum into Wikipedia and his later meteoric adminship, fits this description to a T. LOL. As do an amazing number of the suck-up-socks (SUSs) that admin-packs travel with, these days, so as to tag team and banhammer those involved in their own edit disputes, without technically breaking any rules. blink.gif

Now, somebody tell me why these "helpful mailing lists" don't count as violating CANVAS and MEAT? Oh, right. THOSE rules are only for the lowly editors, and they don't apply to admins. mad.gif
everyking
I found this comment from Ryan to be amusing: "Majorly doesn't deserve to find out your comments about him through some IP troll." Because the messenger matters, not the content of the comments themselves or the attitudes of those who made them? Besides, this messenger must be an arbitrator or former arbitrator, so he's saying one of them is a troll. I would be delighted to learn what the ArbCom has been saying about me for the last three years from any available source, even if that source should be a troll, Satan, or an alien civilization that has intercepted the communications.
wikiwhistle
Some of these comments are just collated somewhere from various on-wiki sources, aren't they?

Such as 'his responses to his RfB are even more telling.'

Think I've seen that somewhere before. unsure.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 21st March 2008, 10:26pm) *

I found this comment from Ryan to be amusing: "Majorly doesn't deserve to find out your comments about him through some IP troll." Because the messenger matters, not the content of the comments themselves or the attitudes of those who made them? Besides, this messenger must be an arbitrator or former arbitrator, so he's saying one of them is a troll. I would be delighted to learn what the ArbCom has been saying about me for the last three years from any available source, even if that source should be a troll, Satan, or an alien civilization that has intercepted the communications.

I think you would have the right to know that under the UK data protection act.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1998/ukpga...9_en_3#pt2-l1g7

How the US law applies I don't know. A further complication is the use of monikers, handles, usernames &c which do not identify RL individuals.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 21st March 2008, 6:26pm) *

Yes, good point!

However, I think it is more likely that the messenger is a friend of, most likely, a former arb, meaning that a former arb is feeding information to his friend that they evidently find entertaining. Rather than face that fact, people act shocked when a bunch of unpaid volunteers act irresponsibly with sensitive information and think that the arb list must have been hacked! I find this hilarious, but it is a convenient answer if one does not want to face facts or probe this too deeply. Blaming things on hackers today is the equivalent of antiquity blaming things on demons and witches.

I haven't seen anyone come out and accuse WR of infiltrating arbcom-l, but I have seen people dancing around that conclusion. I say let them believe that if it makes them feel better. If you are one that trusted arbcom, or the arbcom list as a whole, then I tend to believe you are still waiting for the tooth fairy as well, meaning that your reality is warped beyond salvation anyway.

Incidentally, the number of users who "have a problem with Majorly" seem to be confined to a small group of social networkers and IRCers, which rules out a lot of fucking people here. However, said group of social networkers are the majority of arbcom list members. Where would a rationale person point the finger?
One
You don't understand. The Arbs were elected by the community and (the community's socks) because they're the most trustworthy users. Obviously, elected delegates couldn't possibly be dishonest, manipulative, vindictive, or political. Ergo, arbcom-l was hacked.

But yeah, judging by this thread and the leak itself--Majorly has more sympathy here than on ArbCom.
Aloft
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th March 2008, 1:00pm) *

You don't understand. The Arbs were elected by the community and (the community's socks) because they're the most trustworthy users.
Some were initially appointed by Jimbo rather than being elected. I think we all know how wise Jimbo can be when selecting people for certain, er, tasks.
Somey
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th March 2008, 1:00pm) *
But yeah, judging by this thread and the leak itself--Majorly has more sympathy here than on ArbCom.

We're probably just more sympathetic people in general...

As I recall, the most common complaint about Majorly here has been that he tends to respond to criticism with lines like, "Don't you have anything better to do with your time?" or "Just what is your problem, anyway?" It's kind of a no-win attitude in the WP game, because to the critic it's demeaning, and to the WP hierarchy types it just doesn't show the requisite level of Insufferable Arrogance™. He's supposed to say, "all of my actions have been entirely in conformance with Wikipedia policy, so take it up with ArbCom or OTRS," or something to that effect.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th March 2008, 6:00pm) *

You don't understand. The Arbs were elected by the community and (the community's socks) because they're the most trustworthy users. Obviously, elected delegates couldn't possibly be dishonest, manipulative, vindictive, or political. Ergo, arbcom-l was hacked.

Well, yes. Having become an example of how wikipedia's "leaders" kick the labourers when they unknowingly step out of line, I suspect Majorly will come back a much more obedient puppy. I have every sympathy for him.
UseOnceAndDestroy
And still no word on how the <cough> "investigation" is going. Oooooo NewYorkBrad, has a list member owned up yet, or are we making out like the list was "hacked"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.