Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People don't have a right to be free of criticism
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
KStreetSlave
From http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2008/04/24/1869

Alexander Nuxoll sued his school district in order to be allowed to wear the slogan “Be Happy, Not Gay” on a t-shirt on the Day of Silence. Twice now courts have upheld the school’s right to ban insulting and discriminatory messages.

But now the Naperville Sun is reporting that appeals Judge Richard Posner has validated Nuxoll’s right to wear his message of condemnation - at least until he has his day in court.

But on Wednesday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit reversed the lower courts’ rulings against Nuxoll, saying the district court must order Neuqua to suspend its ban on the shirt while the civil rights lawsuit filed by Nuxoll and Neuqua grad Heidi Zamecnik proceeds.

“We cannot accept the defendants’ argument that the rule is valid because all it does is protect the ‘rights’ of the students against whom derogatory comments are directed,” states the court’s opinion, authored by Judge Richard Posner. “Of course a school can - often it must - protect students from the invasion of their legal rights by other students. But people do not have a legal right to prevent criticism of their beliefs or for that matter their way of life.”

Now that everyone can wear “criticism of beliefs” on their t-shirts, I wonder how Nuxoll would feel if he showed up to his class on the “Day of Truth” and found that all of his other classmates were wearing t-shirts that criticized his beliefs. But I don’t recommend that… it wouldn’t be the way I’d want to be treated.
Jon Awbrey
Yeah, right. Try wearing the wrong T-shirt in a courtroom sometime and watch what happens to you.

Jon cool.gif
Random832
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 25th April 2008, 5:42pm) *

Yeah, right. Try wearing the wrong T-shirt in a courtroom sometime and watch what happens to you.

Jon cool.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_v._California
darbyl
KStreet, help me out here. Are you saying that Wikipedia doesn't have the right to stifle dissent, or that BLP victims don't have the right to defend against libel in the form of a Wikipedia "biography"?
dtobias
QUOTE(darbyl @ Fri 25th April 2008, 3:06pm) *

KStreet, help me out here. Are you saying that Wikipedia doesn't have the right to stifle dissent, or that BLP victims don't have the right to defend against libel in the form of a Wikipedia "biography"?

Both or neither or either... only to the extent that governmental action of some sort is involved, since the policies and actions of private entities aren't covered by the ruling in question.
darbyl
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 25th April 2008, 1:09pm) *

Both or neither or either... only to the extent that governmental action of some sort is involved, since the policies and actions of private entities aren't covered by the ruling in question.

True. Hence my confusion as to it's relevance in the context of The Wikipedia Review.
gomi
Further, it should be pointed out that this case involves a high school student. Sadly, but it appears irrevocably, the courts have limited the free-speech rights of minors in school settings.

Recent rulings include the Supreme Court's "Bong Hits for Jesus" ruling (Morse v. Frederick) case (restricting speech rights of students), and the older Bethel School District v. Fraser (1986). Had these rulings been in place when I was in high school, the underground newspaper I published would have gotten me expelled.

While there are some countervailing rulings in lower courts, notably California, the First Amendment rights of students have been woefully curtailed in recent decades.

And therefore, none of this really applies in any meaningful ways to adults or (as pointed out above) speech "restrictions" by other than governmental bodies.
One
Judge Posner thinks that anonymity is destructive, and generally thinks privacy is overrated. Wikipedia would look quite different if he controlled it. Better, I reckon. For example:
QUOTE(Judge Posner)

The second motive for privacy, however--the desire to conceal discreditable facts--is more questionable from a social standpoint. In order to make advantageous transactions, both personal (such as dating or marriage or being named in a relative's will) and commercial, people try to "put their best foot forward." Often this involves concealing information that would cause potential transacting partners to refuse to transact with them or to demand better terms as a condition of doing so. Such concealment is a species of fraud. It is too prevalent and, on the whole, insufficiently harmful to require legal sanctions (other than in exceptional cases). In addition the potential, victims of such fraud can usually protect themselves (though not costlessly): for example, lengthy courtships are a way in which potential spouses verify the implicit and explicit representations of each other and thus unmask the frauds that are a common feature of romantic entanglements. Moreover, to require blanket disclosure of private facts, thus treating every individual as if he were the issuer of a securities prospectus regulated by the SEC, would drown society in trivial and distracting information.

It does not follow that the law should go out of its way, as it were, to enable, to protect, these (minor) frauds by granting expansive legally enforceable rights of information privacy. Medical records are a case in point. People conceal their medical conditions (sometimes as a means of concealing behaviors that have led to medical conditions), in order to obtain insurance at favorable rates, obtain and retain jobs, obtain spouses, becomes President (in the case of John F. Kennedy, who concealed his long array of serious illnesses), and so forth. These concealments can impose significant costs on the other parties to the transactions.

This is not to say that all such concealments are strategic. I believe that many people would be uncomfortable to learn that their medical history had been disclosed to people living in distant countries, people with whom the possessor of the medical history will never transact. This would be like the nudity taboo: concealment motivated by embarrassment rather than by transactional objectives.

I mentioned that in exceptional cases in which people try to keep information about themselves private the law does step in. No one wants privacy more than criminals! Yet searches, wiretapping, and other means of surveillance are authorized to invade the "privacy" of criminals, terrorists, and other antisocial persons. Because of its favorable connotations, the word "privacy" is rarely used in such contexts. It would be good if the word was either purged of those connotations, or, more realistically, was understood, in disputes over measures such as digitizing medical records that compromise "privacy," that was what stake was simply reducing somewhat the ability of people to manipulate other people's opinion of them by selective disclosure and concealment of information.

Even strategic secrecy, however, can have positive social value. An example is trade secrecy, which is a method of obtaining protection against copying that would prevent appropriating the benefits of an innovation. In addition, some, perhaps a high, degree of privacy of communications is socially beneficial (hence wiretapping and other forms of eavesdropping are lawful only when directed against criminal and other public enemies, actual or suspected), because people will not speak freely if they think they are being overheard by strangers, and there is value in frank communications, including being able to try out ideas without immediate exposure to criticism. The particular concern I have with defenders of privacy arises when they argue for legal rights to blanket concealment not of communications, and not of embarrassing facts, but of facts that would be material to the willingness of other persons to transact with the concealer on terms favorable to him.

I dare say Judge Posner would not tolerate anonymous editing if he were God-King. COI editing is precisely the sort of concealed "embarrassing fact" with negative social value.

That said, this ruling seems pretty far afield from Wikipedia.
Disillusioned Lackey
reposted below.
KStreetSlave
One basically has it right. I'm not commenting either way on the substance of Posner's remark, and the background of the case was just there for context for the bolded part. I found Posner's remark very interesting, because it calls into question, at least within the 7th circuit, the validity of BLP complaints. Yes, it's mere dicta. Yes the background of the case involves facts irrelevant to Wikipedia. But notice how Posner worded that bolded sentence. He was speaking in generalities. I think it's kind of interesting to see how Wikipedia would fare in a lawsuit based on a BLP claim of privacy violations, in the 7th circuit with Posner writing the opinion.

Neither. As I said, see One's analysis above, which basically sums up what I'm getting at (what if Posner were in charge of Wikipedia, or at least it's future).
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 11:40am) *

Neither. As I said, see One's analysis above, which basically sums up what I'm getting at (what if Posner were in charge of Wikipedia, or at least it's future).

Not sure if you are a US Citizen ("K Street" makes me think of a certain IBRD, and so I assume you could be from anywhere, as such), or not, or have followed US law in this realm, but it differs vastly from Euro-law (upon which most developing country law is accordingly modeled).

US Privacy law, or legal remedies consist principally of the making of a private lawsuit. And in such cases, the burden of proof is on the victim, and the means of justification entails presentation of material damages. In short, if you can't prove it cost you money, you don't win. Which is hard to do. You may well have lost work due to the libel, but it is difficult to prove, as such. Only in cases where the libel is grossly obvious will you get a judgement in your favor (per my layperson's ad-hoc, knee-jerk analysis of some random cases).

In many non-US countries, the framework is completely different. You can't libel, without punishment, of one kind or another, because the libel is illegal. Totally different in the US, where libel is by definition protected by the concept of freedom of the press (hence the burden of proof being on the victim). On the internet, various laws enacted to create a very-free-internet (DCMA and Section 230) make that basic principle very, very strong. And Wikipedia has been inaccurately categorized, for legal purposes, and in one ruling I know of, as an ISP. Wikipedia is not an ISP, it is a publication. Jimbo has final say over content, so he's editor in chief. They are putting it in a book, for cripes sake. It's a publication.

Sorry to rant. smile.gif
Rootology
You don't have to prove you lost money to win a libel suit. Emotional damages, etc., is valid reasons to sue in some states.

Oh, and counter to the semi-party line here, I look forward to the day Congress or the US Senate has the balls to pass forward a privacy rights bill.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 26th April 2008, 11:52am) *

You don't have to prove you lost money to win a libel suit. Emotional damages, etc., is valid reasons to sue in some states.

Oh, and counter to the semi-party line here, I look forward to the day Congress or the US Senate has the balls to pass forward a privacy rights bill.

Generally I'd assume that emotional damages would be hard to prove. What is an emotional damage? Would it not be ultimately be quantifiable, in such a case, in financial damage? (i.e. nervous breakdown cost XX dollars in lost wages) At least in settlement terms? We're a dollar and cent country (the US). That's simply how it all washes out, ultimately.

Honestly, do you know of an emotional damages ruling, and how it was played out? Thx.

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 26th April 2008, 11:52am) *

That's not going to happen. It would step too far over the line into government intervention and regulation (heaven forfend! - and I'm joking here, but really, people get so hoity toity about any form of protection, and when it is so badly needed as in this area, it's all a bit histrionic, from my point of view) Seriously, there needs to be a great move to the middle in the US. We focus singularly on intellectual property and copyrights (this being "known documented and discussed", in legal literature).... but we don't give a tiny rat's hiney about the effects on individuals - yet - if ever.
Rootology
I don't have access to legal journals online or otherwise, but I know I've seen them previously. Celebrities in the UK for example file them all the time against news media there, and sometimes in the US as well. But even if you can't prove them, if you want to get people to stop doing something, and can afford to, all you need to do is file suit. Frivilous, yes, but... if you're rich, or can do the legal proceedings yourself, so what?

If I filed suit against Disillusioned Lackey (assuming this is your given name), for example, and put up a halfway decent case, and you never showed up to contest it, I can win a default judgement against you. Let's say I never, ever collect. So what? Your personal credit rating is fucked now. Enjoy not buying a new car, house, or getting a loan, including some student loans. You have all those things? Lien. You have security clearance from the US government? Kiss it the fuck good-bye.

You contest my suit? Great! How much does your lawyer bill per hour? $200? $300? $400? Can you afford 10, 20, or 30 hours of attorney time? Trial costs are usually higher per hour, plus you have other fees like research, materials, travel.

Bullshit? Yes. But this is why you don't fuck with people outside the law.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 26th April 2008, 12:01pm) *

Or who know the law, I think you mean, and have the means and moxie to tool with it.
Rootology
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 10:04am) *

Or who know the law, I think you mean, and have the means and moxie to tool with it.

That too.
Disillusioned Lackey

I don't have access to legal journals online or otherwise, but I know I've seen them previously. Celebrities in the UK for example file them all the time against news media there, and sometimes in the US as well.

Filing a legal case in the UK is easier, as the laws are stronger in favor of the victim, and rulings likewise more favorable. Totally different is the continent, because the US/UK legal system is the same, i.e. "common law" basis. The continent (and most of the rest of the world) is "civil law" basis.

Common law (US/UK): Less of the law to be found civil code, more of the law determined in case-findings and legal opinion of judges and experts. Moral of the story: More court cases, torts, etc.(i.e. In the US, if you are libelled, you file a lawsuit against the offender)

Civil law (Euro-continent & ROW): Heavier civil code which covers more areas and makes it possible for a victim to complain to the state if their rights are infringed. Cheaper if you are a victim. In the cae of Europe, settlements tend to be smaller. (i.e. In Europe, if you are libelled, you file a case with the government - you can sue too, privately, if you want, but you'll not get the same level of settlement as the US)

Common law is more litigious, civil law implies more government regulation. The primordial tradeoff. The US generally hates regulation, i.e. people dislike it, and the foundingl framework rejects it.

What's going on of late is that the government machinery has become huge and overarching, and it's been done by the party that usually likes small government, which is confusing for a lot of people. It's a weird period in US political history.

**ROW-rest of world.

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 26th April 2008, 12:05pm) *

That too.

What does it mean to beware of "f-ing with people outside the law" if the main concern is a legal outcome? (confused)
Rootology
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 10:17am) *

What does it mean to beware of "f-ing with people outside the law" if the main concern is a legal outcome? (confused)

Financial. Do you think the teens and 20-somethings that make up the bulk of Wikipedia can afford lawyers even to deal with a frivilous case, let alone a real one, sprung from their actions? Is Daniel wealthy? We don't know. Can Daniel afford to withstand if 1, 2, 5, or 10 people on Hivemind all sued him?
Disillusioned Lackey

I don't have access to legal journals online or otherwise, but I know I've seen them previously. Celebrities in the UK for example file them all the time against news media there, and sometimes in the US as well. But even if you can't prove them, if you want to get people to stop doing something, and can afford to, all you need to do is file suit. Frivilous, yes, but... if you're rich, or can do the legal proceedings yourself, so what?
Back to the point here: If your lawsuit is frivilous, it will garner no end, and just cost you something, to boot. Most of the EU privacy cases aren't even lawsuits, they are the government acting to enforce what has been judged as criminal infringement of privacy rights. Usually it doesn't get to the point of damages, in the case of internet affairs, if the offendor removes the material. In the US there is no modality to enforce "takedown" when there has been an offense, save for a lawsuit, and if the lawsuit is a priori frivilous (in legal terms) then you are out of luck. Privacy laws will never be enforcable on the criminal level as such, in the US. It's simply not the modus operandi, i.e. is anathema to the founding principles of the Republic. And that's in the "when and if' phase of courts learning to deal more efficiently with damaging internet content. Which is about 20 years down the road, if we are lucky. Which is why Jimbo is so sanguine about leaving up content that is damaging to people. There's no stick, and no carrot.

Many people would simply institute a more user-friendly policy (without being forced), but that's not who Jimbo is.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 26th April 2008, 12:21pm) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 10:17am) *

Financial. Do you think the teens and 20-somethings that make up the bulk of Wikipedia can afford lawyers even to deal with a frivilous case, let alone a real one, sprung from their actions? Is Daniel wealthy? We don't know. Can Daniel afford to withstand if 1, 2, 5, or 10 people on Hivemind all sued him?

Hm. Beyond the issue of Daniel's ability to withstand a lawsuit.....I would rather assume that most of them don't know how (to start with) to invoke a lawsuit, as well as to return to the issue of material damages to be proven. Using the framework I know from cursory research, the administrators would have to prove that damage was done by their names being revealed. And in principle, it is not a shame to be a Wikipedia Administrator (certainly many judges would view it as an honor to be a Wikipedia Administrator, and the justification for preservation of identity would take a bit of justification). Normally non-Wikipedia people (especially non-technical, older judges) would be confused as to why such identity exposure would be undesired by WP admins).

And that brings up the idiosyncratic nature of Wikipedia. I don't think that anywhere else, persons in a position of authority would seek to hide their identity, except for certain law enforcement persons.

All this does beg the question as to why Administrators or anyone in a position of Wikipedia authority needs to be private about it. And where it gets confusing is that it seems normal for editors to want anonymity, but if they advance to administrator, then stripping away their anonymity seems weird too. No solutions from my side.
KStreetSlave
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 12:47pm) *

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 11:40am) *

Not sure if you are a US Citizen ("K Street" makes me think of a certain IBRD, and so I assume you could be from anywhere, as such), or not, or have followed US law in this realm, but it differs vastly from Euro-law (upon which most developing country law is accordingly modeled).

US Privacy law, or legal remedies consist principally of the making of a private lawsuit. And in such cases, the burden of proof is on the victim, and the means of justification entails presentation of material damages. In short, if you can't prove it cost you money, you don't win. Which is hard to do. You may well have lost work due to the libel, but it is difficult to prove, as such. Only in cases where the libel is grossly obvious will you get a judgement in your favor (per my layperson's ad-hoc, knee-jerk analysis of some random cases).

In many non-US countries, the framework is completely different. You can't libel, without punishment, of one kind or another, because the libel is illegal. Totally different in the US, where libel is by definition protected by the concept of freedom of the press (hence the burden of proof being on the victim). On the internet, various laws enacted to create a very-free-internet (DCMA and Section 230) make that basic principle very, very strong. And Wikipedia has been inaccurately categorized, for legal purposes, and in one ruling I know of, as an ISP. Wikipedia is not an ISP, it is a publication. Jimbo has final say over content, so he's editor in chief. They are putting it in a book, for cripes sake. It's a publication.

Sorry to rant. smile.gif

I am a US Citizen. I guess part of my point was that o.k., the law currently states one thing, but Posner is a judge, and at least as far as the 7th circuit is concerned, he's rewriting the law into his view of privacy and criticism on the internet.

All I'm saying is that I saw an interesting quote, and thought it was appropriate in light of one of the many criticisms of Wikipedia, and presented it here for discussion. I'm not knowledgeable for an indepth analysis of US Privacy laws.

Oh, but good guess on IBRD, I actually work about 3 blocks away from them.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 3:05pm) *

I am a US Citizen. I guess part of my point was that o.k., the law currently states one thing, but Posner is a judge, and at least as far as the 7th circuit is concerned, he's rewriting the law into his view of privacy and criticism on the internet.
Well, that's what judges do. They don't rewrite the law, they interpret the law.

Judicial rulings, in the US "common law" system become sources of law. Rulings and judicial opinion can be used in future court cases (under common law legal systems) and therefore, sure, they do rewrite the law, such as it might be applied in the future. That's the way it works.

In civil law countries (other than the US and UK), the law is specifically spelled out, such as you suggest, but here, much of the law is based on prior decisions.

All I'm saying is that I saw an interesting quote, and thought it was appropriate in light of one of the many criticisms of Wikipedia, and presented it here for discussion. I'm not knowledgeable for an indepth analysis of US Privacy laws.

Sure you're interested, and there's nothing wrong with that. It was an interesting article, to be sure. My reason for harping a bit on the differences between various country laws on the matter is cogent in that Wikipedia is truly a transnational content medium, in terms of sources, retention and dissemination, which makes for a really interesting animal, in legal terms. The end of that story isn't even close to being called. I honestly don't understand why they aren't more careful, but they are who they are, and - go figure.

Heh. I've always wondered about that, per your name. Some people in the IBRD have heavy "slave-like" workloads, (if they aren't already workaholics), so I figured that you were in that house.
KStreetSlave
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 4:37pm) *

Well, that's what judges do. They don't rewrite the law, they interpret the law.

Judicial rulings, in the US "common law" system become sources of law. Rulings and judicial opinion can be used in future court cases (under common law legal systems) and therefore, sure, they do rewrite the law, such as it might be applied in the future. That's the way it works.

In civil law countries (other than the US and UK), the law is specifically spelled out, such as you suggest, but here, much of the law is based on prior decisions.

Sure you're interested, and there's nothing wrong with that. It was an interesting article, to be sure. My reason for harping a bit on the differences between various country laws on the matter is cogent in that Wikipedia is truly a transnational content medium, in terms of sources, retention and dissemination, which makes for a really interesting animal, in legal terms. The end of that story isn't even close to being called. I honestly don't understand why they aren't more careful, but they are who they are, and - go figure.

Heh. I've always wondered about that, per your name. Some people in the IBRD have heavy "slave-like" workloads, (if they aren't already workaholics), so I figured that you were in that house.

I know the difference between civil and common law nations, part of why I find it so interesting is that Posner is a known critic of judicial activism, but this seems like an extremely activist decision.

As for IBRD, maybe you misunderstood, I don't work for IBRD, I work a couple blocks away, on K street @ Penn, although the World Bank does own my building, and about half the real estate between Farragut North and Foggy Bottom. Seriously, they own almost everything between 18th and 22nd on Penn, K, I, and H streets that's not owned by GWU. But yeah, your guess was just about dead on regarding the workload.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 4:27pm) *

I know the difference between civil and common law nations, part of why I find it so interesting is that Posner is a known critic of judicial activism, but this seems like an extremely activist decision.

As for IBRD, maybe you misunderstood, I don't work for IBRD, I work a couple blocks away, on K street @ Penn, although the World Bank does own my building, and about half the real estate between Farragut North and Foggy Bottom. Seriously, they own almost everything between 18th and 22nd on Penn, K, I, and H streets that's not owned by GWU. But yeah, your guess was just about dead on regarding the workload.

Sorry if I over-explained about the legal systems. I probably was doing it for my own benefit. I did "get" that you aren't IBRD. I was simply commenting as to my prior guesses about your name. Do they really own everything down there? How did that happen? They are only about 50 years old, and that property was always pretty pricey.
KStreetSlave
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 26th April 2008, 6:58pm) *

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 4:27pm) *

Sorry if I over-explained about the legal systems. I probably was doing it for my own benefit. I did "get" that you aren't IBRD. I was simply commenting as to my prior guesses about your name. Do they really own everything down there? How did that happen? They are only about 50 years old, and that property was always pretty pricey.

Oh don't get me wrong it wasn't a criticism. There's actually a map of the area online showing World Bank owned or leased properties. It's kind of out of date, but let me dig it up....

FORUM Image

The white areas up by Foggy Bottom, especially around where Penn splits I St. is all owned by GWU and it's foundation on the south side of Penn, and private interests on the north side of Penn. But yeah, some of the "chain link" imagery that is supposedly leased by them I believe is actually owned now (or else it's a very favorable lease).

Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 26th April 2008, 9:22pm) *

The white areas up by Foggy Bottom, especially around where Penn splits I St. is all owned by GWU and it's foundation on the south side of Penn, and private interests on the north side of Penn. But yeah, some of the "chain link" imagery that is supposedly leased by them I believe is actually owned now (or else it's a very favorable lease).

Wowsa. I had no idea they were major downtown DC landowners. Not that I would have.

I guess that at this point and time, their main function has changed to development work, so one can forget that they are fundamentally "A Bank" and normally would have lotsa cash, and therefore should have lotsa land. smile.gif

Thanks for that info. Interesting.

On another note,

Judge Posner Opines on Privacy and Surveillance

t does not follow that the law should go out of its way, as it were, to enable, to protect, these (minor) frauds by granting expansive legally enforceable rights of information privacy. Medical records are a case in point. People conceal their medical conditions (sometimes as a means of concealing behaviors that have led to medical conditions), in order to obtain insurance at favorable rates, obtain and retain jobs, obtain spouses, becomes President (in the case of John F. Kennedy, who concealed his long array of serious illnesses), and so forth. These concealments can impose significant costs on the other parties to the transactions.

This is not to say that all such concealments are strategic. I believe that many people would be uncomfortable to learn that their medical history had been disclosed to people living in distant countries, people with whom the possessor of the medical history will never transact. This would be like the nudity taboo: concealment motivated by embarrassment rather than by transactional objectives.

This is too much. The guy, like a lot of people, assume that if you want some privacy, that you are doing something bad, illegal, wrong, or immoral (at which point their judgement gene kicks in, usually their hypocrisy gene too).

What this guy needs is to be targeted for surveillance as an innocent person, which is happening more and more. Then he'd get the feeling. Or the point. Unfortunately, the very people doing that consider him one of their best friends, so that's not going to happen.

One of the best examples of unwarranted surveillance (pun intended on warranted) is Martin Luther King. He was under aggressive surveillance for years, and by this time, he's so venerated that there's a holiday named after him. But he was under surveillance, and things got pretty ugly. Was it ok that he had things to hide, like cheating on his wife? Was it right that tapes of that got mailed to him by a certain agency that started with an "F"? No. But that's the kind of thing that happens. Political use of whatever gets dug up. It's natural, and that's why there are supposed to be protections against just that happening. Because when a certain "set of people" have access to information, they can, and *will* use it, for their own purposes. Awful, but human. That's what laws are supposed to protect us from: normal human tendencies to be awful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.