Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spreading the word about WP problems works
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Complete
I've never heard of WR until recently.

I used to edit in WP and did an excellent job, even by others' opinion. Almost single handedly wrote FA (featured articles), hundreds of new articles, well referenced material. Never again. Made a mistake of making an immature admin mad who then made it their goal to kill me (ban me....ok, block me). Other immature admins joined the bandwagon.

Now I just rarely go to WP and just to goof off (not vandalism).

This wouldn't have happened if administrators only had a code of conduct and mechanism for disciplinary action for admins (for example, temporary suspension for breaking rules...and let's have rules as WP is now too big for an IAR ignore all rules atmosphere)

Recently, I saw some comments in a technical message board. Similar comments to mine (oh, in WP they'd call you sock for that). Others said they wouldn't rely on WP except for a few details, like George Washington's birthday or date of death. This is in addition to a negative but accurate comments on WP that I saw in an industry publication recently.

So talking about the weaknesses of WP can help. Otherwise I would have never heard of WR and wouldn't have made the decision to stop editing in WP.

As an expert, when I deal with people who mention WP, I always tell them not to use it as it is only an entertainment site. There are many ways to improve it if only the administrative structure were accountable. Just a few changes could do it but rather than think of how to word the changes, Jimbo can do that work.
GlassBeadGame
Welcome to WR, Complete.
Moulton
Can you give us a little more background on yourself, Complete?
JohnA
Key question. If they unbanned you in the next five minutes, would you go back to WP?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Complete @ Sun 4th May 2008, 9:20pm) *

As an expert, when I deal with people who mention WP, I always tell them not to use it as it is only an entertainment site. There are many ways to improve it if only the administrative structure were accountable. Just a few changes could do it but rather than think of how to word the changes, Jimbo can do that work.

Yeah, but why should he?

Say, you wouldn't be N.P. Complete? I think I've heard of your work... wink.gif
Complete
QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 5th May 2008, 9:58am) *

Key question. If they unbanned you in the next five minutes, would you go back to WP?

I was unbanned. I do go back to WP.

I am a very ethical person. Upon unbanning, I stopped using my user name and started a new one. I use that one for just goofy edits on goofy subjects. Nothing to better WP but it doesn't make it worse either.

I am not NP.

I saw on WP that a bad, but not very active administrator has resigned. He was manipulating Wikipedia and got caught. So wikipedia is 0.001% better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.