Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WP Brandt Wars Part 47
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
Pumpkin Muffins
From the illustrious Administrator's notice board - #Talk:Brandt.

And as an aside, this quote, courtesy of Lawrence Cohen sums it up nicely and is just too good to pass up. Replying to JoshuaZ on Flo's talk;
The status quo on that DAB worked fine from August 2007 until Brad happened, at which point you all turned the Revenge-O-Meter up to 11 despite Brad asking for everyone to leave well enough alone. Add in that there is no community support for your half-baked obsessive position to stick it up Brandt's ass, for BLP and notability among other factors, and is there any wonder we're all sick of Brandt Wars Part 47? Lawrence Cohen § t/e 19:15, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
Kato
Wait a minute, I thought there was a topic ban on JoshuaZ? After it was revealed he abused sockpuppets to pursue his campaign against Brandt?

Why is JoshuaZ still commenting on the article?

Straight to Arbcom with him. Get JoshuaZ out of that place. He's a menace and an abuser of the whole thing.
cyofee
We've been over the sockpuppeting accusations before and a variety of prominent editors who have looked at the evidence for that agree concluded that I hadn't sockpuppeted. - JoshuaZ

Are those the same prominent editors that agreed that SlimVirgin hadn't sockpuppeted, either?
Kato
QUOTE(cyofee @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:53pm) *

We've been over the sockpuppeting accusations before and a variety of prominent editors who have looked at the evidence for that agree concluded that I hadn't sockpuppeted. - JoshuaZ

Are those the same prominent editors that agreed that SlimVirgin hadn't sockpuppeted, either?

And the same prominent editors that agreed that Mantanmoreland hadn't sockpuppeted?

Mind you, it clearly states on WP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...quests#February
QUOTE(Aribtration decisions)

In response to a finding by the Arbitration Committee that he engaged in abusive use of multiple user accounts, JoshuaZ voluntarily resigned his administrator tools on February 5, 2008.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 6th May 2008, 4:39pm) *

From the illustrious Administrator's notice board — #Talk:Brandt.

And as an aside, this quote, courtesy of Lawrence Cohen sums it up nicely and is just too good to pass up. Replying to JoshuaZ on Flo's talk:

The status quo on that DAB worked fine from August 2007 until Brad happened, at which point you all turned the Revenge-O-Meter up to 11 despite Brad asking for everyone to leave well enough alone. Add in that there is no community support for your half-baked obsessive position to stick it up Brandt's ass, for BLP and notability among other factors, and is there any wonder we're all sick of Brandt Wars Part 47? Lawrence Cohen § t/e 19:15, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

Great Spinal Tap Ref …

Jon cool.gif
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 6th May 2008, 1:49pm) *

Wait a minute, I thought there was a topic ban on JoshuaZ? After it was revealed he abused sockpuppets to pursue his campaign against Brandt?

Oh ya, JoshuaZ's sockpuppets. Apparently he's waiting for the WMF developers to physically examine his computer for a rootkit so as to clear his name, or something like that.
Kato
So 2 1/2 years ago, when JoshuaZ was a fledgling editor and no one had heard of him, someone predicted that JoshuaZ would be a future harasser of Brandt. Went to all the trouble of getting into his "rootkit" to create a malicious account that made various appearances on future afds from varying IPs of JoshuaZ. Over the next two years? Appearing within 3 minutes of Joshua on one afd. With JoshuaZ actually correcting one of his spelling mistakes.

I wish this criminal genius, who is a cross between Nostradamus and Bill Gates would reveal himself. We need his services.

Somey
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 6th May 2008, 4:19pm) *
Apparently he's waiting for the WMF developers to physically examine his computer for a rootkits so as to clear his name, or something like that.

HA! Holy shit, that's priceless!

Oh dear, that's going to have to be on the top-line blurb for at least a week. Welcome to no-way-outsville, Joshy!

Back to the original thread topic, though (as there was really no question that JoshuaZ was going to ignore the "topic-ban" - you might as well try to make the Nile flow southwards). Some of Mr. Brandt's recent activity has suggested, to me at least, that he might have actually wanted them to restore the article, possibly so that he could sue some people, finally. (He hasn't said boo to me about that, though.) I'd imagine Josh would be at the top of his sue-list at this point, but now there's this User:Kotniski feller, famous the world over for his list of phonetic representations of Polish towns. His M.O. seems to be to show up in the midst of ultra-high-drama situations and immediately say, "I haven't been following this, and I have no idea what's going on, but WHY CAN'T WE JUST DO WHATEVER THE HELL WE WANT WITH THESE BLP's????"

It's a standard approach, and it doesn't look like many of them are falling for it, though obviously Joshy's Brandt-Basher Brigade will use any support they can get.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 6th May 2008, 3:19pm) *

Oh ya, JoshuaZ's sockpuppets. Apparently he's waiting for the WMF developers to physically examine his computer for a rootkits so as to clear his name, or something like that.

How come no one has asked me if I put Brad's name on hivemind? After all, it could have been a rootkit on my computer!

FORUM Image
The devil made me do it.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 6th May 2008, 5:33pm) *

So 2 1/2 years ago, when JoshuaZ was a fledgling editor and no one had heard of him, someone predicted that JoshuaZ would be a future harasser of Brandt. Went to all the trouble of getting into his "rootkit" to create a malicious account that made various appearances on future afds from varying IPs of JoshuaZ. Over the next two years? Appearing within 3 minutes of Joshua on one afd. With JoshuaZ actually correcting one of his spelling mistakes.

I wish this criminal genius, who is a cross between Nostradamus and Bill Gates would reveal himself. We need his services.

Where the hell were you during the writers' strike, when we desperately needed new episodes of The Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Jon cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(cyofee @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:53pm) *

And that Poetlister did?
Kato
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 6th May 2008, 10:46pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 6th May 2008, 5:33pm) *

Where the hell were you during the writers' strike, when we desperately needed new episodes of The Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Jon cool.gif

I didn't consider the Terminator 2006 defense (I had to look up The Sarah Connor Chronicles).

It is conceivable that a time traveller, intent on creating a mild episode on some website, has managed to travel the vortex back to 2006, and hacked into JoshuaZ's rootkit. The mastermind managed to create one of the accounts before going up and down the Time Ladder, supporting JoshuaZ from his IP, whatever this IP reveals at the time.

FORUM Image
"I'll be back...

...every so often to support your decisions in various Wikipedia deletion debates."
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 6th May 2008, 10:19pm) *

Oh ya, JoshuaZ's sockpuppets. Apparently he's waiting for the WMF developers to physically examine his computer for a rootkits so as to clear his name, or something like that.

Your computer has been hacked by someone who uses the access to commit identity theft and/or sully your name. Do you:
[] Contact law enforcement?
[] Wait a couple of months, then talk to a wikipedia developer about it?

Hang on to that denial right up to the very end. You'd think he would have kept the fraudulent accounts operational for added plausibility, rather than chickening out after Gothnic's last sputter at the end of the "arbcom" discussion.
Giggy
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 7th May 2008, 9:14am) *

You'd think he would have kept the fraudulent accounts operational for added plausibility, rather than chickening out after Gothnic's last sputter at the end of the "arbcom" discussion.

Yeah, just to confirm, all the "sockpuppets" have stopped editing now, right?

Probably because JoshuaZ is keeping a better eye on his computer, or something like that... unsure.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 6th May 2008, 5:19pm) *
Apparently he's waiting for the WMF developers to physically examine his computer for a rootkit so as to clear his name, or something like that.

Lessee...

QUOTE(FloNight's Talk Page)
Brandt

We are open to new evidence that could change our mind. Until that happens, the Fof is that you edited in an abusive manner with multiple accounts. FloNight♥♥♥ 19:24, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

Fine. Until I get your ridiculous FoF removed I'll stay out of it. In the meantime, let's just ask this publicly- are you going to give the Yale IP addresses to the Yale IT people given that Jimbo agrees that there shouldn't be any issue with that? And has the ArbCom decided formally yet whether or not they want the developers to look at the machine in question? JoshuaZ (talk) 19:29, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

I am however a bit disturbed that we discussed the Yale IP data would help clear me almost a week ago and the ArbCom hasn't yet decided what to do with that.JoshuaZ (talk) 20:12, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

There is no rootkit on his laptop. And even if there were, there is no way to access a NAT wifi client machine from the Internet, as there is no inbound routing to NAT clients at coffee shops.

What WMF hasn't done is cough up the IPs that would settle whether JZ was also connecting from a campus cluster of identical machines. The useragents would be identical for a fleet of identical machines in a campus computer cluster.
Disillusioned Lackey
Sir, I've seen Rootkits. And you sir, have no rootkit.

Seriously.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:00pm) *

Seriously.

More like this —

I knew Rootkits.
Rootkits was a friend of mine.
You, Sir, have no Rootkits.

Jon cool.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 6th May 2008, 8:07pm) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:00pm) *

Seriously.

More like this —

I knew Rootkits.
Rootkits was a friend of mine.
You, Sir, have no Rootkits.

Jon cool.gif

That's what I was shooting for, but you did it so much better. And it was for JZ, by the way.
Giggy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 7th May 2008, 9:40am) *

There is no rootkit on his laptop. And even if there were, there is no way to access a NAT wifi client machine from the Internet, as there is no inbound routing to NAT clients at coffee shops.

What WMF hasn't done is cough up the IPs that would settle whether JZ was also connecting from a campus cluster of identical machines. The useragents would be identical for a fleet of identical machines in a campus computer cluster.

Sorry, I'm a moron. Could you (or someone) please describe this in terms someone like me could understand?

At the moment; this is me; blink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif
Random832
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 6th May 2008, 11:40pm) *

Technically, a rootkit (anyone else remember when they were called "trojans") could connect to an external server - e.g. IRC, and accept instructions.

Not that I'm saying it's likely.

We also don't know that the IPs in question are wifi and not JoshuaZ's home IP.
SqueakBox
QUOTE(Giggy @ Wed 7th May 2008, 1:32am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 7th May 2008, 9:40am) *

Sorry, I'm a moron. Could you (or someone) please describe this in terms someone like me could understand?

At the moment; this is me; blink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

That is why we have wikipedia
Somey
QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:03pm) *
That is why we have wikipedia

Actually, according to Wikipedia, the term Computer_cluster refers to something else entirely. I think Moulton meant to say Computer_lab, and that JoshuaZ may have operated his massive sockpuppet army from one of those.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 6th May 2008, 9:11pm) *

Actually, according to Wikipedia, the term Computer_cluster refers to something else entirely.

Yes. I believe that group consensus overruled a bunch of MIT Profs, and defined it as a breakfast cereal.
Giggy
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 7th May 2008, 11:54am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 6th May 2008, 11:40pm) *

Technically, a rootkit (anyone else remember when they were called "trojans") could connect to an external server - e.g. IRC, and accept instructions.

Not that I'm saying it's likely.

We also don't know that the IPs in question are wifi and not JoshuaZ's home IP.

Aah, wasn't aware that rootkit = trojan...I'm at least passingly aware of what the hell they are. Thanks. smile.gif

Squeakbox; quiet you tongue.gif
Moulton
I suppose one can argue whether the term 'rootkit' includes a 'bot that fetches instructions from a botnet controller. But using a botnet to edit WP articles seems like such an advance in the state of the art of malware that it would be a major story in itself. And it's unlikely only JZ's computer would have been so commandeered.

But remember, this is a haphazard theory for which there isn't a shred of evidence, and for which the technical reasoning to characterize it requires features beyond the known state of the art of malware. Moreover, the malware would have to have successfully installed itself on more than just JZ's laptop. One can imagine that JZ was lax in firewalling his personal laptop, but that's almost surely not the case for campus computer clusters.
Jon Awbrey
MIT-Mensch geekiness asside, what we have here is yet another illustration of Wikipedia's Gang Ethos, where one's Status in the Gang is measured by how many rules one can break and still get away with it.

Jon cool.gif
Moulton
What it reveals to me is a systematic pattern of ineptitude in crafting credible theories grounded in evidence and reasoning. They can't do it when they don't like, and they can't even do it when they do like you.

At least in the era of King John's corrupt regime, they could get the partisan judicial outcome they wanted without getting tripped up by sloppy forensic analysis.
Jon Awbrey
Look, diverting as the whole CSI:Wikipedia Schtick may be, diverting is all it really is.

The fact that someone like JZ even gets the benefit of the first doubt — much less the benefits of all the nauseatingly n-definite shadows of subsequently trumped up doubts — is already sufficient proof of the Gang Elite Ethos (GEE) that is in place.

Believe me, the lesson is not lost on T.C. Nits (The Common Nøøb In The Street), and everyone — 'cept maybe for some self-diverting larned perfessors — knows what it means to watch yet another Corrupt Self-Policing Force deafside the Public with their Code of Silence, and when that fails, skunk the Public with one damn Red Herring after another.

But I'm sure the Kabal Kops appreciate all the Φish …

Jon cool.gif
Miltopia
Relax, Ryulong's got it all under control. He's protected the page, and even kickstarted productive editing on the article with this gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=210596862
Random832
QUOTE(Giggy @ Wed 7th May 2008, 8:04am) *

Aah, wasn't aware that rootkit = trojan...I'm at least passingly aware of what the hell they are.

Well, there's different origins. A rootkit was originally a very specific thing - patched userspace tools or even patched drivers on a Unix system with two objectives: Conceal its own existence, and conceal that the system has been compromised. A trojan originally referred strictly to how things were spread (malicious software attached to something legitimate-looking like a game that someone would download and run), but later referred to specific pieces of software like BackOrifice, NetBus, etc, later rootkit referred by analogy to stuff other than on Unix systems, and the meanings have since totally converged.
anthony
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 7th May 2008, 2:38pm) *

QUOTE(Giggy @ Wed 7th May 2008, 8:04am) *

Aah, wasn't aware that rootkit = trojan...I'm at least passingly aware of what the hell they are.

Well, there's different origins. A rootkit was originally a very specific thing - patched userspace tools or even patched drivers on a Unix system with two objectives: Conceal its own existence, and conceal that the system has been compromised. A trojan originally referred strictly to how things were spread (malicious software attached to something legitimate-looking like a game that someone would download and run), but later referred to specific pieces of software like BackOrifice, NetBus, etc, later rootkit referred by analogy to stuff other than on Unix systems, and the meanings have since totally converged.

Cult of the Amateur meets the development of neologisms. Anyone else notice how terribly imprecise the new words of the Internet age are? "Spam" and "troll", I'm looking at you.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 7th May 2008, 6:39pm) *

Cult of the Amateur meets the development of neologisms. Anyone else notice how terribly imprecise the new words of the Internet age are? "Spam" and "troll", I'm looking at you.

Spam: junk-mail on the net. Junk email.

Troll: Person who is a drama-addict, who injects drama and discord into public internet discussions in order to increase the level of drama and raw emotion in the discourse. Such persons are usually initially mistaken for those seeking to teach facts or to learn facts, but this is a guise.

Is that helpful? biggrin.gif
Moulton
I've concluded that a troll is someone who asks a good question that the other guy doesn't want to have to answer.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 7th May 2008, 9:43pm) *

I've concluded that a troll is someone who asks a good question that the other guy doesn't want to have to answer.

That's the WP definition of troll, used as term of art in application of a bad internet term with bad connotations to somebody, for purposes of "labeling" them as bad, preparitory to kicking them out of the ant-hill.

I gave the definition in common usage everyplace, other than special cult-speak.

That said, trollerly, like evil, is rarely pure. Even the worst is usually no better than 99 and 44/100% pure. Some people go to ventilate as well as inform, and that's about half trollery, depending on circumstance. And even nearly pure education has a bit of emotional component, as otherwise it would sound like two Vulcans conversing. But as in all fuzzy undertakings, you have ask yourself the general aim, and that controls the binary label, if binary label is what you're stuck with.

That's the basic problem with language, you know, as Hayakawa, following Korzybski, never tired of reminding us. Language is usually binary, because words are either used as descriptors, or not. But reality itself is fuzzy. Very fuzzy.
Viridae
According to The Age, the 30 year aniversary of the first piece of spam being sent is this saturday.
Moulton
And OrangeMarlin has even updated the definition of spam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.