Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jayjg, Crum375, and Wikiquote
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Jayjg
gomi
Jayjg makes his ninth ever edit to Wikiquote, using it to castigate Dan Tobias (making his first and only edit) for carrying the "cabal" war into that hitherto serene realm.

For the uninformed, SlimVirgin and Jayjg's meatpuppet Crum375 got all upset because someone had poached his username there (it's incredibly clever, after all). Crum complained to someone, who complained to someone, and -- lo and behond! -- Quaddel blocks the guy (totally out of process) for choosing this username (WP:BADTASTE, perhaps?)

It gets better, though -- our once-but-not-anymore very own Poetlister arrives to unblock the not-really-Crum375, and wonders out loud what roused Quadell from his seven-month snooze to take this action.

The whole thing is documented on Wikiquote's Admin page (a diff-link for when it goes away), and is really a good source of hilarity, especialy as it involves several Review regulars as well. In general, the Wikimedia-project-wide single-signon stuff has raised lots of interesting hackles.
Obesity
QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 10th August 2008, 9:08pm) *

Jayjg makes his ninth ever edit to Wikiquote, using it to castigate Dan Tobias (making his first and only edit) for carrying the "cabal" war into that hitherto serene realm.

For the uninformed, SlimVirgin and Jayjg's meatpuppet Crum375 got all upset because someone had poached his username there (it's incredibly clever, after all). Crum complained to someone, who complained to someone, and -- lo and behond! -- Quaddel blocks the guy (totally out of process) for choosing this username (WP:BADTASTE, perhaps?)

It gets better, though -- our once-but-not-anymore very own Poetlister arrives to unblock the not-really-Crum375, and wonders out loud what roused Quadell from his seven-month snooze to take this action.

The whole thing is documented on Wikiquote's Admin page (a diff-link for when it goes away), as is really a good source of hilarity, especialy as it involves several Review regulars as well. In general, the Wikimedia-project-wide single-signon stuff has raised lots of interesting hackles.

My favorite part of this scrum:
Behold as a hapless Crum is roundly chastised on his WP talk page for attempting to throw his, er, weight around on a project where he has very little weight.

It has been a rough couple months for this fellow.
Cla68
QUOTE(Obesity @ Mon 11th August 2008, 1:16am) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 10th August 2008, 9:08pm) *

The whole thing is documented on Wikiquote's Admin page (a diff-link for when it goes away), as is really a good source of hilarity, especialy as it involves several Review regulars as well. In general, the Wikimedia-project-wide single-signon stuff has raised lots of interesting hackles.

My favorite part of this scrum:
Behold as a hapless Crum is roundly chastised on his WP talk page for attempting to throw his, er, weight around on a project where he has very little weight.

It has been a rough couple months for this fellow.

I'm aware that the idea that Crum375 is a sock of a certain other prominent en.Wikipedia admin has been discredited, but, that arrogant sense of entitlement, repeated claim of harassment, and polite but pointedly condescending and patronizing manner of expression Crum displays on his talk page looks amazingly familiar.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 10th August 2008, 6:37pm) *

I'm aware that the idea that Crum375 is a sock of a certain other prominent en.Wikipedia admin has been discredited, but, that arrogant sense of entitlement, repeated claim of harassment, and polite but pointedly condescending and patronizing manner of expression Crum displays on his talk page looks amazingly familiar.

Yes. Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden they are. So sweet. No wonder Jimbo loves them. wub.gif
Alex
According to Crum375:

For me this identify theft amounts to harassment, bordering on stalking. Do I now need to watch everything this lunatic says or does...
maiawatatos
I rather like Jayjg's amusing ranting on the WQ page, showing his usual talent for utterly missing the point.
that one guy
SV's and crew's lexicon:

Harassment n.: Anything that goes against what we think, regardless of the merits of it.
dogbiscuit
Getting noticed at the highest level - someone has been whining to the bosses while Crum375 still is not editing (but has activated accounts on several other wikis in the meantime). Posted by Cary Bass on Foundation-l

People know my interest lies with the well being of the volunteers of our projects and our projects in general. It's because of that interest that when I am sent issues about a dispute involving members of the community I have to look to the well-being of the projects themselves and see how this is being impacted. Sometimes the issue involves the interests of one project over another. Often, the issues are only resolved by bringing the light of day to the matter and allow the broader community at large to discuss the issues.

Scenario 1:
An active user with an unusual username on the English Wikipedia has, for whatever reason, never taken advantage of SUL. An account opens up on a much project which is, given the name, implausibly anything other than an impostor of the English Wikipedia account. It does, however, have apparently useful contributions (no difficult matter on this wiki if one is familiar with it); and the local community, while believing that the account is an impostor account seems to be unwilling to resolve the situation without demanding that the user come to the smaller project and ask for usurpation. Obviously, we wouldn't want to force the issue with an autonomous project.

How should this be addressed?

Does the user have any other option than editing the smaller wiki and adding the Username Change request, which basically subjects the user to his/her IP information being revealed to additional individuals, not of his/her own wiki?

The debate continues....
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 12th August 2008, 12:42am) *

Getting noticed at the highest level - someone has been whining to the bosses while Crum375 still is not editing (but has activated accounts on several other wikis in the meantime). Posted by Cary Bass on Foundation-l

No opinion on the right/wrong of the accusation in general, but since SUL the new MediaWiki software automatically sets up an account in your name on any other wiki you visit if you visit it whilst logged on to en-wiki – it's not a case of deliberately setting up accounts. I was startled to notice that I was a registered user of Anglo-Saxon-wikipedia, Letzeburgish-wikipedia, and the ever-amusing Scottish-dialect-wikipedia.
badlydrawnjeff
Of course, Cary should really be thinking "do the complaints of one person on one wiki trump that wiki's otherwise working standards." the answer is of course not, and the fact that Crum is a bit of a douche doesn't matter.
Cedric
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 11th August 2008, 6:54pm) *

. . . and the ever-amusing Scottish-dialect-wikipedia.

. . . ooh me Goot, its Pieperdoonpeedia!!

EDEET: After reading this awhile, I found little difficulty understanding it. That's either rather scary or comforting, depending on how you look at it (as my ancestors left Scotland about 350 years ago).
DevilYouKnow
QUOTE(Alex @ Sun 10th August 2008, 9:03pm) *

According to Crum375:

For me this identify theft amounts to harassment, bordering on stalking. Do I now need to watch everything this lunatic says or does...

GROAN wacko.gif

He makes it sound like the wikiquote Crum375 stole his credit cards.

Aside from en-Crum375 over-dramatizing the situation, though, what are the odds that the q-Crum375 picked that name out of the blue? Probably did it to tweak en-Crum's nose. But as long as q-Crum keeps making useful edits, there's really not much en-Crum can do about it, is there?

Or maybe its Crum from a parallel dimension, like Crisis on Infinite Earths or something...
Random832

Won't it be easier for him to watch the guy when he knows what his username is, anyway?
Proabivouac
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Mon 11th August 2008, 11:58pm) *

Of course, Cary should really be thinking "do the complaints of one person on one wiki trump that wiki's otherwise working standards." the answer is of course not, and the fact that Crum is a bit of a douche doesn't matter.

What if Crum375 were some well-known poster at some other site, for example, Wikipedia Review? If I ran a website, I'd be inclined to disallow obvious impersonation of pen names regardless of whether I felt obliged to the other site. For example, I'd hope we wouldn't allow anyone here to register as "Mantanmoreland" unless he really were Gary Weiss - and best, it's just confusing. Here it's more like power trolling. I hear the point being made that Wikiquote is independent of en.WP, and doesn't have to bow to the dictates of the cabal. Great point, wrong case.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 10th August 2008, 6:53pm) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 10th August 2008, 6:37pm) *

Yes. Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden they are.
smile.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 12th August 2008, 6:45am) *

QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Mon 11th August 2008, 11:58pm) *

What if Crum375 were some well-known poster at some other site, for example, Wikipedia Review? If I ran a website, I'd be inclined to disallow obvious impersonation of pen names regardless of whether I felt obliged to the other site. For example, I'd hope we wouldn't allow anyone here to register as "Mantanmoreland" unless he really were Gary Weiss - and best, it's just confusing. Here it's more like power trolling. I hear the point being made that Wikiquote is independent of en.WP, and doesn't have to bow to the dictates of the cabal. Great point, wrong case.

Much as it pains me, I have to agree. However, the great point, right case is to refuse to bow to the wicked ways of the cabal. Being the cabal, Crum375 just could not follow process, he had to call in favours before even starting and the favours started with bans even when there is no urgency. Pretty much modus operandi for the cabal.

No opinion on the right/wrong of the accusation in general, but since SUL the new MediaWiki software automatically sets up an account in your name on any other wiki you visit if you visit it whilst logged on to en-wiki – it's not a case of deliberately setting up accounts.

For sure, but it is a little strange that although not editing, Crum is wandering around these other Wikis. Withdrawal?
Alison
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 12th August 2008, 12:34am) *

No opinion on the right/wrong of the accusation in general, but since SUL the new MediaWiki software automatically sets up an account in your name on any other wiki you visit if you visit it whilst logged on to en-wiki – it's not a case of deliberately setting up accounts.

For sure, but it is a little strange that although not editing, Crum is wandering around these other Wikis. Withdrawal?

It's not all that strange. When the English Wikipedia gets too much - too overwhelming, and it does, many people just take off to more peaceful wikis. I do the same myself & it wouldn't really surprise me if Crum does the same. In fact, just not having the sysop bit and all it entails can be a blessed relief tongue.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Alex @ Sun 10th August 2008, 8:03pm) *

According to Crum375:

I promised Lar I wouldn't bag on Slimvirgin again today (by inference) but here it is.

Could there *be* any better evidence SV is Crum?

I mean, gawd. Is there a person named "Crum375" who is going to be defamed by this, and whose life is altered by the constant net-stalking of this one name? Puleeze.

Just ask for the name back. Hold the mustard - and the hystrionics. cool.gif
Yehudi

Does the user have any other option than editing the smaller wiki and adding the Username Change request, which basically subjects the user to his/her IP information being revealed to additional individuals, not of his/her own wiki?

Is Cary saying that he doesn't trust the WQ Checkusers? That's a very, very serious accusation.

Presumably Jayjg does trust them, since he's posted there (though of course he may be using an open proxy, since we've got very few of them blocked yet).
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Tue 12th August 2008, 2:49pm) *
Is Cary saying that he doesn't trust the WQ Checkusers? That's a very, very serious accusation.
Why should he trust them? They're generally not members of the Cabal.
Lar
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Tue 12th August 2008, 3:49pm) *

Presumably Jayjg does trust them, since he's posted there (though of course he may be using an open proxy, since we've got very few of them blocked yet).

No I think he forgot about creating a throwaway account "Crum375_temp" which is what everyone else does. I've as I said done a lot of renames and that approach works fine.
gomi
QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 12th August 2008, 3:22pm) *
I think he forgot about creating a throwaway account "Crum375_temp" which is what everyone else does.

Clearly this is not an option, as the SlimVirgin so eloquently points out:
QUOTE(SlimVirgin@foundation-l)
So the admin who's had the name for over two years is expected to jump through various hoops now, including creating a temp account there to request his name back, even though he doesn't want to post there and give away his IP address -- the reason is that at least one of the bureaucrats is an administrator with Wikipedia Review, and has been actively involved in outing people.

You see, it's a matter of principle! And stop outing people here, Lar, it gives us a bad name ohmy.gif

(Oh, she's talking about Poetlister. Sorry.)
Giggy
So the admin who's had the name for over two years is expected to jump through various hoops now, including creating a temp account there to request his name back, even though he doesn't want to post there and give away his IP address -- the reason is that at least one of the bureaucrats is an administrator with Wikipedia Review, and has been actively
involved in outing people.

I was wondering how long it would take for people to realise that this whole situation was a WR setup! ph34r.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 12th August 2008, 5:31pm) *

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 12th August 2008, 3:22pm) *
I think he forgot about creating a throwaway account "Crum375_temp" which is what everyone else does.

So the admin who's had the name for over two years is expected to jump through various hoops now, including creating a temp account there to request his name back, even though he doesn't want to post there and give away his IP address -- the reason is that at least one of the bureaucrats is an administrator with Wikipedia Review, and has been actively
involved in outing people.

You see, it's a matter of principle! And stop outing people here, Lar, it gives us a bad name ohmy.gif

Maybe PL would come back from her forced-exile to somehow slip Crum's IP address to the powers that run WR, just as soon as Crum reveals it to the admins on WQ. Could happen. No?

You're way behind the times, Slimey. It takes just a little bit fo reading WR every day to stay informed. Give us 10 minutes, we'll give you the Wiki-world.

gomi
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 12th August 2008, 6:32pm) *
Maybe PL would come back from her forced-exile to somehow slip Crum's IP address to the powers that run WR, just as soon as Crum reveals it to the admins on WQ.

Oh, believe me, we're way ahead of you. You think this whole Poetlister-goes-nuts-and-deletes-things debacle was an accident? Well, let me .... H(*&JS(*VQ*&K
CONNECTION DROPPED
Somey
Yes, it's all part of our diabolically massive communist/fascist/Larouche-ist/anti-naked-short-selling conspiracy master-plan, blah blah blah.

Poetlister was almost never involved in "outing people," here or anywhere else. (I'd say "never, period," but there's always private e-mail, I suppose...) More importantly, how would Slimmy even know? I'm tellin' ya, every time I start to think she's changing for the better, she comes up with a statement like that.

Besides, what would Crum375 have to be afraid of, unless s/he were a registered WR member already? And even if s/he were, Poetlister isn't the sort of person who would misuse privileged information like that, even if there were actually something to gain by doing so. She has too much @$#%&!! integrity for that, dammit! If anything, I wish she had a little less integrity - then it might have been possible to at least reason with her on issues involving personal reputation, ethical behavior, and all that sort of thing.

Ahh, well.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 13th August 2008, 6:39am) *

More importantly, how would Slimmy even know? I'm tellin' ya, every time I start to think she's changing for the better, she comes up with a statement like that.

Well, that's exactly it, one doesn't know. How does Slim or anyone else know we're not all, including Poetlister, coordinating this in one or another sooper sekrit forum? It's partially the nature of the web, where people can simultaneously conduct public and secret discussions, and partially the nature of Wikipedia and what surrounds it. For example, Slim didn't have a blessed thing to do with Durova's block of User:!!, but it appeared on the Cyberstalking mailing list which Slim began, which was, along with the revelation that the list existed, enough to implicate her and by association and projection.

It can be genuinely difficult to distinguish good faith from bad, particularly when one has other reasons to distrust someone whom one doesn't really know and has no confidence in reading accurately.

Of course people have been outed here - sometimes with my encouragement and support - and Poetlister was a mod here. That doesn't make her responsible for any (much less every) instance, but it's not a priori unreasonable for Wikipedia contributors to assume the worst. Nothing stops any of us from acknowledging the reasons for this kind of concern and discussing them.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 13th August 2008, 12:39am) *

Yes, it's all part of our diabolically massive communist/fascist/Larouche-ist/anti-naked-short-selling conspiracy master-plan, blah blah blah.

I only buy shorted-stocks from naked brokers. It's in my contract. cool.gif

Poetlister was almost never involved in "outing people," here or anywhere else.

That's quite untrue. There's scores of people's personal lives that have been devastated by Poetlister. Poetlister started out years ago as an "outing" specialist for the top-UK magazines the Tattler and HELLO!. She's moved up to become an operative for Rupert Murdoch. Her job as a statistician is just a clever ruse. cool.gif

Besides, what would Crum375 have to be afraid of, unless s/he were a registered WR member already? And even if s/he were, Poetlister isn't the sort of person who would misuse privileged information like that,...........

Ah........ the plot thickens...... No wonder Moulton is being hassled by WP:OFFICE-guy.

He holds the sacred secret of the Crum IP. cool.gif

So the admin who's had the name for over two years is expected to jump through various hoops now, including creating a temp account there to request his name back, even though he doesn't want to post there and give away his IP address -- the reason is that at least one of the bureaucrats is an administrator with Wikipedia Review, and has been actively involved in outing people.

Jumping through hoops! Like some kind of trained circus animal! Such abuse! And disrespect!

How dare Crum be expected to follow normal rules and procedures?

.. to join the human race? And stand in line like a normal plebian!

Someone, quick! Hide her high horse while she's primping in the mirror.
Saltimbanco
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 13th August 2008, 2:39am) *
And even if s/he were, Poetlister isn't the sort of person who would misuse privileged information like that, even if there were actually something to gain by doing so. She has too much @$#%&!! integrity for that, dammit!

She has the kind of integrity that might allow her to arrange for "Crum375" to be replaced with "SlimVirginAccount#2," though. And then to decline to own up to the harassment.

Just so we're clear.
DevilYouKnow
QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 12th August 2008, 7:31pm) *

Just another hit-and-run defamation without proof by Slim. I figured everyone would just roll their eyes at this by now and just chalk it up to Slim being Slim.

So why isn't Crum375 making this point? Slim's statement adds more fuel to the fire on the speculation that Crum is just a sock of Slim.
Yehudi
the reason is that at least one of the bureaucrats is an administrator with Wikipedia Review, and has been actively involved in outing people.

How can someone of SV's experience not know the difference between a bureaucrat and a checkuser? The only person on WQ who holds both positions is Aphaia, and ... wait a minute, who's been most strident about not being bullied by the Cabal? Who refused SV an account on Foundation Wiki?

QUOTE(Saltimbanco @ Wed 13th August 2008, 1:03pm) *

She has the kind of integrity that might allow her to arrange for "Crum375" to be replaced with "SlimVirginAccount#2," though. And then to decline to own up to the harassment.

What shocking ignorance of how a wiki works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...type=renameuser
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.