Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arbcom Elections 2008
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Alex
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 1:30am) *

I note that "Bishzilla", a joke alternate account of Bishonen, is included in the list. This should not be considered a serious candidacy and should not be allowed. I also note that "Bishzilla" is somehow an administrator, which means that Bishonen is operating multiple admin accounts, and my understanding is that multiple admin accounts aren't allowed.

Actually, only Bishzilla has admin rights.
everyking
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 1:33am) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 2nd October 2008, 5:30pm) *
I also note that "Bishzilla" is somehow an administrator, which means that Bishonen is operating multiple admin accounts,
Nope - Bishonen isn't an admin. From what I can tell, Bishzilla's the main account.

Bishonen is the main account, and is the one that communicates like a normal human being. "Bishzilla" was created so that Bishonen could write in a comically threatening tone about eating other editors for breakfast, burning them alive, and so on. Again, not an acceptable candidacy.
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 2nd October 2008, 5:30pm) *

MBisanz's list of candidates (actual and likely) looks quite good (excluding Forrester, who has only a snowball's chance at re-election). This election is looking more promising than any past election. Just imagine if my proposal for all open seats had gone through--we'd be looking at something like a revolution! But seven seats (that's right, isn't it?), if they all go to good candidates, will be sufficient for major change.

I note that "Bishzilla", a joke alternate account of Bishonen, is included in the list. This should not be considered a serious candidacy and should not be allowed. I also note that "Bishzilla" is somehow an administrator, which means that Bishonen is operating multiple admin accounts, and my understanding is that multiple admin accounts aren't allowed.

Bishonen had the admin bit transferred to Bishzilla.

In the 'confirmed running' section, James Forrester is the most dangerous.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 2nd October 2008, 5:34pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 1:30am) *

Actually, only Bishzilla has admin rights.

And considering the Trogdorian/Godzilla-ish way in which WP is administrated, that's probably appropriate. Baniate and burniate. Don't think too hard.

Proabivouac
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 12:36am) *

Bishonen is the main account, and is the one that communicates like a normal human being. "Bishzilla" was created so that Bishonen could write in a comically threatening tone about eating other editors for breakfast, burning them alive, and so on. Again, not an acceptable candidacy.

Her candidacy would be far stronger if she ran under the Bishonen account.
Milton Roe

Why not? It's perfectly honest, normal Wikipedian admin behavior.

Or must you have children running this place childishly AND pretend to be adults, too? And maybe they want medals, barnstars, and wub.gif
Alex
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 1:53am) *

Well, not much stronger.
Alison
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd October 2008, 3:50pm) *

If we're still tracking candidates, SirFozzie's announced (and has earned an immediate rebuke from Giano, who in turn was reprimanded by Tznkai...but I guess that's the way the whole durned Wikipedia comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself...)

Update: Boy am I behind the times: here's the comprehensive who's who of confirmed and potential candidates.

I've had a few pmails on all this and peeps are asking if I'm going to run for ArbCom.

Answer: no happy.gif
Cla68
I wish I could run for a seat, but I just don't have the spare time necessary to give the position the attention it deserves.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 3:38am) *
I just don't have the spare time necessary to give the position the attention it deserves.

you'd fit right in with the incumbents then...

Arbcom as it is, is irrelevant. It's an opaque roadblock put up by a delusionally self-important Jimbo Squad of part-time lightweights.

The WP community abides.

Time and time again the community has to come back after a flaccid, paralyzed, impotent arbcom fails to do anything that provides any service to wikpedia and do the right thing.

Arbcom - ignore it. It's ignoring you.
The Joy
Didn't Durova promise to only stay on for one year if elected to Arbcom? I don't see the harm in just going for a year.

It would be better if there were just a small number (like four) of arbs handling one case from beginning to end before taking on another case, instead of relying on all the arbs to handle all the cases all the time.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 4:04am) *

It would be better if there were just a small number (like four) of arbs handling one case from beginning to end before taking on another case, instead of relying on all the arbs to handle all the cases all the time.

Heck, it'd be better if there were only one arbitrator, as long as he or she could be unseated. Then we would at least have someone to credit or blame.

As it is, I think the most important thing to ask here is that each member of the committee stand for reelection this December, regardless of their "tranches." The Arbitration Committee has lost the confidence of Wikipedia's volunteers and critics alike. These terms were set by someone and can be reset; there is nothing sacred about them. Anyone who wants real reform should start there.
everyking
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 6:58am) *

As it is, I think the most important thing to ask here is that each member of the committee stand for reelection this December, regardless of their "tranches." The Arbitration Committee has lost the confidence of Wikipedia's volunteers and critics alike. These terms were set by someone and can be reset; there is nothing sacred about them. Anyone who wants real reform should start there.

I already proposed that on WP, and my proposal was shot down.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 6:14am) *

"Shot down" by what, four people? What we really need here isn't a discussion, but a petition. Any threaded discussion will be manipulated by people with an interest in sabotaging or foreclosing it.

QUOTE(Everyking)

We don't need "institutional memory"; it has never been demonstrated that this has helped anything

Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE(Mbisanz)

Nah, the idea idea is patently unfair to people like NYB, Flo, Jpgordon, and Kirill, among others who have done excellent jobs as arbitrators and should not be forced to re-run before their term is up.

This from people who emphasize that Wikipedia doesn't do fairness and isn't a system of law! Who cares if it's "fair" to the arbitrators? Most of them don't care if they're fair to others. Some of them should be happy they're not blocked or banned.

(p.s. NewYorkBrad would win reelection anyhow.)

I'd also like to clarify: whether the "tranche" system is inherently flawed or not is utterly beside the point. Volunteers and critics alike have lost confidence in this Arbitration Committee. What is most immediately needed is not any particular policy change, but a motion of no confidence.
Cla68
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 6:14am) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 6:58am) *

Can't we add some proposals for vote onto the ArbCom election, kind of like they do in the US (I don't know if they do this elsewhere or not) in which they add bond issues and new laws to election ballots for people to vote on? If there isn't anything saying that we can't do this, then I think we should do it during this election- give people some ArbCom reform proposals to vote on, such as term reductions, etc.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 3rd October 2008, 1:53am) *

Correct. Bishonen is incredibly good, but as you imply, joking need to be set aside in matters such as this. Especially in Wikipedia of course, which lacks any noticeable sense of humour.

[edit] I note the following extraordinary comment on Giano's talk page by Scribe. "It is this use of blocks to stifle criticism that troubles me most about "civility blocks". " Since when has the use of blocks as criticism - as well as the use of the oversight/deletion function, on which I still have some interesting unpublished emails from Scribe - every troubled this man?

ohmy.gifh please. I note the additional comment in the block log: "Will unblock upon user's commitement to refactor/remove offending statements". I am sorry but [[User talk:SirFozzie#Your Arbcom Manifesto]] contains no comment so terrible that a user must be blocked should they refuse it. It is this use of blocks to stifle criticism that troubles me most about "civility blocks". Giano's comment to SirFozzie are harshly worded but it is content (not the contributor) that is described as "bolox" and Giano makes it clear why he believes the content to be inaccurate. I find it particularly worrying when we are talking about a statement of candidature for approaching ArbCom elections - are we really saying that if someone feels such a statement is misleading, they cannot call it rubbish due to our civility policies? Oh, what an interesting election that would prove to be... <strong style="font-variant:small-caps">[[User:WJBscribe|WJBscribe]] [[User talk:WJBscribe|(talk)]]</strong> 23:08, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=242611418
KamrynMatika
MBisanz has compiled a list of all the people who are confirmed and likely to run: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MBisanz/ACE2008

Confirmed:

Aaron Brenneman
Bishzilla
Coren
Hersfold
Jdforrester
Jehochman
SirFozzie
Wizardman

Likely:

Carcharoth
Catherine de Burgh
Fish and karate
Gwen Gale
Rlevse
The Fat Man Who Never Came Back
WJBscribe

Nice to see that J D "FeloniousMonk's contributions are worth more than Cla68's" Forrester is going to be in the running. I never had a chance to oppose him with a nasty comment before.

Alex
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Thu 16th October 2008, 4:15pm) *

I never had a chance to oppose him with a nasty comment before.

Please don't (the nasty comment that is, you can oppose whoever you like). Two wrongs don't make a right.

I could go and say who I'll be supporting or opposing, but it would spoil the surprise. I'll let everyone into a secret though, I'll be opposing most people. It's a pretty poor selection this year, I must say.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 16th October 2008, 5:05pm) *

It's a pretty poor selection this year, I must say.

The individuals in the race don't matter. Whoever is hand-picked for the job, they'll still be Jimbo's pet chimps. Arbcom elections are a pretend vote for a pretend court.

Alex
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 16th October 2008, 5:28pm) *

The individuals in the race don't matter. Whoever is hand-picked for the job, they'll still be Jimbo's pet chimps. Arbcom elections are a pretend vote for a pretend court.

Last time Jimbo appointed someone was in February 2007, when he appointed Mackensen to replace Dmcdevit, and Essjay as an extra. Mackensen had previously been on ArbCom, and resigned in good standing. Prior to that, was September 2005. I doubt he'll be doing it again.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:09pm) *

Last time Jimbo appointed someone was in February 2007, when he appointed Mackensen to replace Dmcdevit, and Essjay as an extra. Mackensen had previously been on ArbCom, and resigned in good standing. Prior to that, was September 2005. I doubt he'll be doing it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...tions#Elections

"Since then, Arbitrators have been appointed based on the results of advisory elections held annually. Jimbo does not consider himself bound by the results of the elections, but generally has appointed Arbitrators from among the candidates with the highest percentage of positive votes (Jimmy has stated he will not appoint someone having under 50% support)."

Are you saying that page is inaccurate?
everyking
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:21pm) *

"Since then, Arbitrators have been appointed based on the results of advisory elections held annually. Jimbo does not consider himself bound by the results of the elections, but generally has appointed Arbitrators from among the candidates with the highest percentage of positive votes (Jimmy has stated he will not appoint someone having under 50% support)."

If Jimbo's appointments accurately reflect the results of the election, then those appointed arbitrators are not automatically "Jimbo's pet chimps".
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:25pm) *

If Jimbo's appointments accurately reflect the results of the election, then those appointed arbitrators are not automatically "Jimbo's pet chimps".

Sure they are. Anyone who might actually want to rock the wikiboat would be excluded.

"Arbcom" is just another map in the game of wikipedia. It has a symbolic role for the serfs, but its actual role is extremely limited. It's composition is irrelevant - any random group of labourers will be as effective as any other.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 16th October 2008, 10:44am) *
Sure they are. Anyone who might actually want to rock the wikiboat would be excluded.
Do you have any evidence to that effect, or is it an as-yet untested hypothesis? Not that there's anything wrong with as-yet untested hypotheses - I express quite a few of them around here - but they should be recognized as what they are.
everyking
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:44pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:25pm) *

"Arbcom" is just another map in the game of wikipedia. It has a symbolic role for the serfs, but its actual role is extremely limited. It's composition is irrelevant - any random group of labourers will be as effective as any other.

While I abhor Jimbo's insistence on appointing arbitrators himself, there is no reason to think he would deliberately skip over a dissenting candidate who was appropriately placed on the results list, even if he might want to. The furthest he has gone in the past is to expand the ArbCom to justify including loyalists further down the list. Furthermore, realistically speaking, he couldn't exclude a dissenting candidate if the candidate was appropriately placed--it would be disastrous for Jimbo's political standing in the community. Nor does it make any sense to suggest that a dissenting candidate would transform to become a "pet chimp" simply because Jimbo made the formal appointment in recognition of the community's mandate.

To suggest that the composition of the ArbCom is irrelevant is simply ludicrous--in the context of Wikipolitics, nothing is more important than the composition of the ArbCom. It's only irrelevant if you think Wikipedia itself is irrelevant, and therefore whatever future direction the project takes is inconsequential.
Sarcasticidealist
I agree with your entire first paragraph. I have a couple of quibbles with the second.

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 16th October 2008, 12:07pm) *
To suggest that the composition of the ArbCom is irrelevant is simply ludicrous--in the context of Wikipolitics, nothing is more important than the composition of the ArbCom.
I would argue that the behaviour of the WMF Board is more important, but this depends on your definition of Wikipolitics (though even under a narrow definition, I'd argue that the behaviour of the WMF Board ought to be more important than the composition of Arb Comm).

It's only irrelevant if you think Wikipedia itself is irrelevant, and therefore whatever future direction the project takes is inconsequential.
It's quite possible to believe, as I think many do here, that Wikipedia is relevant but that Wikipolitics, even broadly-defined, are not. I think that's the view of the faction that believes that Wikipedia is beyond hope, but that it's too harmful to be ignored.
Shalom
Re: Anyone who might rock the wikiboat...

Jimbo said if anyone retired mid-year this year, he would replace them from someone who got at least 50% in the 2007 election. Jimbo didn't keep his word. (Is anyone surprised?) Newyorkbrad retired and UninvitedCompany lapsed into real life, but Jimbo left their seats vacant until NYB returned and UC formally resigned. Anyway, he said anyone who got 50%, and he explicitly included Giano in that list.
Alex
QUOTE(Shalom @ Fri 17th October 2008, 2:07am) *

Jimbo said if anyone retired mid-year this year, he would replace them from someone who got at least 50% in the 2007 election. Jimbo didn't keep his word. (Is anyone surprised?) Newyorkbrad retired and UninvitedCompany lapsed into real life, but Jimbo left their seats vacant until NYB returned and UC formally resigned. Anyway, he said anyone who got 50%, and he explicitly included Giano in that list.

Where did he say this?

Paul August also resigned, remember. NYB was gone from the end of April until August; Paul left in August, and UC in September. There's no point really in replacing Paul and UC, since it's so late on in the year, and I think everyone knew NYB's departure was only temporary.
Shalom
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 16th October 2008, 9:15pm) *

Where did he say this?

Paul August also resigned, remember. NYB was gone from the end of April until August; Paul left in August, and UC in September. There's no point really in replacing Paul and UC, since it's so late on in the year, and I think everyone knew NYB's departure was only temporary.

At this point I agree that it's not worth it to replace UC and PA before the elections. It wasn't obvious to me that NYB was coming back, though maybe it was obvious to everyone else - it certainly wasn't publicly spoken of that way.

Jimbo said it in his announcement of his December 2007 selections, reported in the Signpost. Look in the Signpost archives for December 2007.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Shalom @ Thu 16th October 2008, 6:07pm) *
Jimbo said if anyone retired mid-year this year, he would replace them from someone who got at least 50% in the 2007 election. Jimbo didn't keep his word.
He probably just didn't notice that Arb Comm was depleted.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Thu 16th October 2008, 7:40pm) *

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 16th October 2008, 10:44am) *
Do you have any evidence to that effect, or is it an as-yet untested hypothesis? Not that there's anything wrong with as-yet untested hypotheses - I express quite a few of them around here - but they should be recognized as what they are.

I was going to present the current arbcom as exhibit A, but I see Shalom has already done that quite nicely. I may be inclined to collect examples of arbs-toeing-the-line here as we go along.

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 16th October 2008, 8:07pm) *
To suggest that the composition of the ArbCom is irrelevant is simply ludicrous--in the context of Wikipolitics, nothing is more important than the composition of the ArbCom. It's only irrelevant if you think Wikipedia itself is irrelevant, and therefore whatever future direction the project takes is inconsequential.

That's assuming the body actually influences the "future direction of the project". It doesn't. It makes relatively inconsistent decisions on the banning-and-reverting - as you say, "wikipolitics" - but does not substantially influence goals and methods.

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 17th October 2008, 2:15am) *

Where did he say this?

Here, for those with short memories. Also of interest in that writeup is the way term lengths and composition of the body are chopped and changed at will.

Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Fri 17th October 2008, 8:52am) *
I was going to present the current arbcom as exhibit A, but I see Shalom has already done that quite nicely. I may be inclined to collect examples of arbs-toeing-the-line here as we go along.

Hey, you're moving the target. I'm not asking you to provide evidence that Arbs toe the line, I'm asking you to provide evidence that "Anyone who might actually want to rock the wikiboat would be excluded" even if they won the election.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Fri 17th October 2008, 5:02pm) *

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Fri 17th October 2008, 8:52am) *

Hey, you're moving the target. I'm not asking you to provide evidence that Arbs toe the line, I'm asking you to provide evidence that "Anyone who might actually want to rock the wikiboat would be excluded" even if they won the election.

See first sentence.
Shalom
I'm with Sarcasticidealist here. I think I intended the opposite of what Useonceanddestroy is interpreting of me -- namely, Jimbo might well appoint someone whose views he personally does not agree with. The main problem for someone hell-bent on rocking the wiki-boat, to use that odd metaphor, is to win the election from the community. When I think of who is likely to make it into Arbcom, I think of people who have not been involved on the protagonist level in edit wars, but may have tried to resolve them and succeeded, or are involved in sockpuppet investigations and block/unblock requests of established users. Anyone who has a realistic shot at making Arbcom has to fit into the institutional framework.

I think Jimbo's relative lack of involvement at this stage is advantageous in that he's not likely to reject any candidate by virtue of disliking that candidate. He dislikes certain people, to be sure, but he won't care enough to keep them off Arbcom. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
One
Hmm, no one has commented that Jimbo has extended the term of Thebainer. He also reminds us that he retains a monarch's veto if the community does not select a "good, safe, and trusted appointment." Long-time admin Duk had this to say about Jimbo's sense of trustworthiness:
QUOTE(Duk)
The most unsound appointments, in my opinion, such as Kelly Martin's and Essjay's, were appointments made by you without the input of the community. As far as judging the 'soundness' of appointments, Jimbo, I suggest you leave it to the community. --Duk 23:03, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
I think this poor track record might actually explain why Jimbo declined to fill any seats this year. I once read a daily newspaper which refused to issue political endorsements because the editor recommended Nixon in 1972.

Lar also posits an interesting theory:
QUOTE(Lar)
It has been said that the Queen of England can overrule Parliament... once. After that she would no longer be Queen. Whether matters here are analogous or not, I cannot say, but I suspect they might be. ++Lar: t/c 04:51, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
Alex
QUOTE(One @ Mon 20th October 2008, 9:11am) *

Hmm, no one has commented that Jimbo has extended the term of Thebainer. He also reminds us that he retains a monarch's veto if the community does not select a "good, safe, and trusted appointment." Long-time admin Duk had this to say about Jimbo's sense of trustworthiness:
QUOTE(Duk)
The most unsound appointments, in my opinion, such as Kelly Martin's and Essjay's, were appointments made by you without the input of the community. As far as judging the 'soundness' of appointments, Jimbo, I suggest you leave it to the community. --Duk 23:03, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
I think this poor track record might actually explain why Jimbo declined to fill any seats this year. I once read a daily newspaper which refused to issue political endorsements because the editor recommended Nixon in 1972.

Lar also posits an interesting theory:
QUOTE(Lar)
It has been said that the Queen of England can overrule Parliament... once. After that she would no longer be Queen. Whether matters here are analogous or not, I cannot say, but I suspect they might be. ++Lar: t/c 04:51, 20 October 2008 (UTC)

I can't think of a single appointment by Jimbo that was a good one to be honest. Kelly Martin and Essjay were a disaster for a start.
Shalom
I'm not bothered that thebainer gets another year. FloNight's term was extended last year for two extra years in the same manner, and nobody batted an eyelash as far as I can recall.

I do object strongly against Jimbo arrogating to himself power to overrule the community's preference in the ArbCom elections. There's a severe difference between extending the term of a sitting arbitrator who hasn't served a full term, versus hypothetically refusing to appoint a candidate with consensus because Jimbo doesn't like him or her. As with many issues, I agree with Sarcasticidealist in that discussion thread.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 20th October 2008, 6:31am) *
I can't think of a single appointment by Jimbo that was a good one to be honest. Kelly Martin and Essjay were a disaster for a start.
Yes, my appointment was a disaster because I wasn't interested in playing the SlimVirgin Game. My stock started falling after I questioned Mel Etitis' conduct as an administrator; you can guess what was behind that.

It's my considered opinion that any "outsider" who managed to get elected would be appointed, then harassed to death by the rest of the loyalists until they either converted or resigned in disgust.
One
Jimbo explains why the WMF board doesn't take over his role on enwp and confirms the important role that ex-Arbs (except Kelly Martin, I imagine) play:
QUOTE(Jimmy Wales)
Well, but the board is clearly the wrong institution for this. The board is not, and should not be, focused on the detailed governance of the community of the English language Wikipedia. The board is tasked with governance and oversight of a global charity, and quite properly for a number of reasons prefer to stay out of these kinds of debates. It strikes me as unlikely these days that I would act in any, shall we say, interesting ways, without first consulting and getting approval from the majority of the Arbs and ex-Arbs. Of course, in theory, this too can be problematic, as giving the existing ArbCom a say over the next ArbCom poses some (mostly theoretical) difficulties. In any event, I propose that we continue to evolve slowly and thoughtfully over time.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 13:08, 20 October 2008 (UTC)

Meanwhile, Cirt is asking a line of Socratic questions, trying to understand why discretionary selection is good and necessary.
Piperdown
QUOTE(One @ Mon 20th October 2008, 4:28pm) *

Meanwhile, Cirt is asking a line of Socratic questions, trying to understand why discretionary selection is good and necessary.

"shoot that troll on sight!" - Jimmy says
Gold heart
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 20th October 2008, 3:48pm) *

My stock started falling after I questioned Mel Etitis' conduct as an administrator; you can guess what was behind that.

Well, it takes courage to stand out from the 'crowd', and sometimes the price can be high. I think WP will eventually implode because of the distinct lack self-honesty amongst almost all the admins. Sad really! ~~~~
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:29pm) *

I think WP will eventually implode because of the distinct lack self-honesty amongst almost all the admins. Sad really! ~~~~

Did you mean to sign with 4 tildes?smile.gif ~~~~
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:34pm) *

I think WP will eventually implode because of the distinct lack self-honesty amongst almost all the admins. Sad really! ~~~~

Second sign of madness, so I hear.
Gold heart
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:34pm) *

Well, I have to be honest with you wikiwhistle. My bad, my bad, my bad!!! rolleyes.gif Two hours sleep last evening does that wacko Wikipedian stuff to people. ohmy.gif
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:42pm) *

Well, I have to be honest with you wikiwhistle. My bad, my bad, my bad!!! rolleyes.gif Two hours sleep last evening does that wacko Wikipedian stuff to people. ohmy.gif

That's ok lol I bet a lot of people have done it on various forums. smile.gif

Strange for someone who claims not to have edited WP for 3 months or something though. smile.gif
Gold heart
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:46pm) *

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Mon 20th October 2008, 10:42pm) *

That's ok lol I bet a lot of people have done it. smile.gif

Well, don't tell a 'certain admin' about it, or she'll see it as evidence of socking! These admins pick up on the most bizarrest of things, suspicious lot!! huh.gif
Proabivouac
Jimbo now says that new Arbitrators must be approved by current and former members of the Committee…
QUOTE(Jimbo Wales)

“I will not appoint anyone who is not supported by the existing Arbs and Arbs Emeritus.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=247483118

…with Thomas H. Larsen, Giano, Jehochman, SlimVirgin and Cla68 dissenting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#G.27day
Alex
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 26th October 2008, 1:55am) *

Jimbo now says that new Arbitrators must be approved by current and former members of the Committee…
QUOTE(Jimbo Wales)

“I will not appoint anyone who is not supported by the existing Arbs and Arbs Emeritus.”

I'm not sure anyone likes this particular idea, but hey, what can we do?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 26th October 2008, 1:55am) *

QUOTE(Jimbo Wales)

This will only serve to intensify the insular nature of ArbCom.
Sarcasticidealist
I have no idea what the philosophy is here. It's not a power grab for him, because he's actually relinquishing some power here, he's just doing it badly. It looks like he's trying to accumulate courtiers - only thing is, Jimbo, constitutional monarchs don't generally have those.

It's actually almost as though he's so resistant to a nice, straightforward method of arb selection that he's deliberately making it as chaotic as possible to prove that the wonderful anarchic Wikipedia spirit is still alive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.