Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikia's paid "Community Team"
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
thekohser
Check out the Wikia, Inc. gallery of Community Team members.

Feels a bit like self-dealing, and certainly a mockery of the notion that Wikia and Wikimedia are "completely separate", when nearly every one of the paid Community Team lists their Wikipedia credentials!

Remember, two consecutive annual Form 990's for the WMF (when their Board had 5 members, with 60% of them paid Wikia employees) checked "NO" that there were no outside business relationships between any of the directors.

Too funny!
The Joy
They all look rather young, especially Tomsen.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 10th September 2008, 5:15am) *

I dunno, those look like interns to me, not salaried workers. And they are awfully young. Not one of them lists any other work experience, nor do they list things like degrees etc.
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 5:53am) *

I dunno, those look like interns to me, not salaried workers. And they are awfully young. Not one of them lists any other work experience, nor do they list things like degrees etc.

I confirmed on the Wikia Help IRC channel -- they are paid for their services to the Wikia Community.

C'mon, do you think I'd just spit out "paid Community Team" without having done some research to back it up?

dry.gif

Don't miss the big point, though. Six out of the nine state their involvement with a Wikimedia Foundation project or two. Two do not. And the ninth is Angela Beesley herself, former Board member of Wikimedia Foundation and still Advisory Committee chair.

But, we're told they are COMPLETELY SEPARATE organizations, and two consecutive WMF Form 990's told the government there was "nothing to see here" regarding business relationships between the 60% of the Board who were all paid by Wikia, Inc.

Greg
the fieryangel
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th September 2008, 4:35pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 10th September 2008, 5:53am) *

I confirmed on the Wikia Help IRC channel -- they are paid for their services to the Wikia Community.

C'mon, do you think I'd just spit out "paid Community Team" without having done some research to back it up?

dry.gif

Well, they don't look like paid workers, anyway...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.