Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ArbCom nominations begin
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
JoseClutch
QUOTE(One @ Thu 20th November 2008, 5:44pm) *

I agree in principle, Casliber.

The problem seems to be that "civility" is an excuse to block people you don't like. This is why "Civil POV pushers" infuriate some admins. The site is more focused on user speech than wholesale destruction to articles, and since we rarely look at the latter, "civility" is the most common excuse for dealing with users--whether their article editing is problematic or benign.

I should also add that civility rules aren't usually applied against admins. If you think about it, admins are the ones who would be most capable of creating an oppressive working environment. Ideally these would be flipped; admins would be removed of their bit for incivility, while users would have a somewhat longer rope so long as their editing quality is good. The current situation creates its own kind of oppressive environment due to the backwards double standard.

I agreed that civility rules should exist, but I don't agree with the current regime.

The big problem is that "civility" is one of the few things you can block someone for, or get someone blocked for, and make it stick. Sockpuppeting as well, and spamming. But that is about all.

But "persistant fringe POV pusher"? Very hard. "Disinterested in working together but polite?" Very hard.

So people grasp at the straws that have traction.
One
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Fri 21st November 2008, 12:45am) *

The big problem is that "civility" is one of the few things you can block someone for, or get someone blocked for, and make it stick. Sockpuppeting as well, and spamming. But that is about all.

But "persistant fringe POV pusher"? Very hard. "Disinterested in working together but polite?" Very hard.

I agree 100%. That's why civil POV pushing really can be a problem. But that's a problem of Wikipedia where we look at the behavior rather than the expertise. Our anti-elitism, and all that.
Moulton
QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 20th November 2008, 5:31pm) *
I went to bed musing on this whole civililty thing, trying to figure some sort of algorithm about why (and what) it is the problem — I guess it is something along the lines thus:

*A positive and collaborative atmosphere is highly important (if not essential) to the whole collaborative editing thing.

*Thus, any posting or exchange which gratuitously aims to deteriorate the atmosphere between editors is a no-no. This includes baiting and snide remarks of people already angry as well as 'incivility'. I always try to look at the malignance or intent rather than the language, so an explosive 'fuck off' means less than something really cutting or demeaning said with polite language.

Not sure where to go with this as yet, I suppose trawling through all the archives (oh gawd...)....to see if I am not reinventing the wheel

The concept of civility does appear to be one of those abstractions which Wikipedians perennially struggle with.

On Wikiversity, the official Civility Policy provides some examples of serious breaches of civility:

QUOTE(Examples of Serious Breaches of Civility on Wikiversity)
More serious examples include:
  • Taunting
  • Personal attacks
    o Racial, ethnic, and religious slurs
    o Profanity directed at another contributor
  • Lies
  • Defacing user pages
  • Giving users derogatory names via Pagemove Trolling
  • Calling for unjustified bans or blocks
This style of interaction between editors drives away contributors, distracts others from more important matters, and weakens the entire community.

Note, especially, that two of the above examples include common practices of admins: Defacing user pages and calling for (and even summarily executing) unjustified bans or blocks.

It is a precept as old as the Rule of Law itself that one must justify a ban with a provable cause of action. And yet it is common to block or ban rival editors on arbitrary, capricious, and specious grounds whilst bypassing the checks and balances of community or judicial review.

And so there is both the irony and the disgrace of profoundly incivil conduct by unethical admins who routinely block, ban, deface, and baleet user pages without just cause, without review, without due process, and without remorse.

QUOTE(One @ Thu 20th November 2008, 5:44pm) *
I agree in principle, Casliber.

The problem seems to be that "civility" is an excuse to block people you don't like. This is why "Civil POV pushers" infuriate some admins. The site is more focused on user speech than wholesale destruction to articles, and since we rarely look at the latter, "civility" is the most common excuse for dealing with users — whether their article editing is problematic or benign.

I should also add that civility rules aren't usually applied against admins. If you think about it, admins are the ones who would be most capable of creating an oppressive working environment. Ideally these would be flipped; admins would be removed of their bit for incivility, while users would have a somewhat longer rope so long as their editing quality is good. The current situation creates its own kind of oppressive environment due to the backwards double standard.

I agreed that civility rules should exist, but I don't agree with the current regime.

The current regime exemplifies incivility by dint of their bullying practices. The primarily tool of the bully is to block or ban someone for capricious and undemonstrated reasons, without the checks and balances of a review by neutral parties.

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Thu 20th November 2008, 6:15pm) *
The old blocking rules identified 'disruption' as a valid reason for blocking. It was subjective and required an administrator's judgment to interpret and use. Then, a couple of years ago the words 'civil' and 'civility' were thrown into the block policy. Then some admins started blocking for 'civility' whenever Giano made a good point. I personally find the stupidity of those admins far more disruptive, not to mention offensive, than anything Giano ever did.

Precisely so. Another instance of irony, in which the block for the specious reason of "disruption" is genuinely disruptive of civil process of resolving issues that divide rival factions. The current practice is for the dominant faction to kibosh editors promoting the minority viewpoint. And of course the ethical viewpoint is traditionally a minority viewpoint when facing down the pitchfork wielding mob.

QUOTE(One @ Fri 21st November 2008, 10:54am) *
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Fri 21st November 2008, 12:45am) *

But "persistent fringe POV pusher"? Very hard. "Disinterested in working together but polite?" Very hard.

I agree 100%. That's why civil POV pushing really can be a problem. But that's a problem of Wikipedia where we look at the behavior rather than the expertise. Our anti-elitism, and all that.

Eventually those straws are too weak to support and sustain the outlandish bullying practices of unethical admins who at best gain a temporary advantage by abusing their power to haphazardly block and ballet rival editors who seek to introduce more ethical practices into an increasingly unstable and unsustainable WikiCulture.
Casliber
Now Risker's added themself

so Littleknownadmin can update their formguide biggrin.gif
Giano
QUOTE(Casliber @ Sat 22nd November 2008, 5:21am) *

Now Risker's added themself

so Littleknownadmin can update their formguide biggrin.gif

In my view, Risker may well be the late starter, and outsider fielder who gets in. Of course though that does depend on Jimbo having heard of her and inviting her to join. I think she will, and he will. However, I'm always wrong in my premonitions for Arbcom, so who knows?

Giano
Casliber
Actually, Risker is the only female (?) (Pity Catherine de Burgh dropped out then......oh biggrin.gif )
Littleunknownadmin
I don't see the candidates being stronger, even with Risker joining the elections, here's the weekend update.

Dream Focus - candidate statement has nothing to do with ArbCom, I think White Cat and George the Dragon will likely get more supports than him, should withdraw
Risker- strong candidate in a weak field, made some enemies though, should be a close and exciting one to watch
Shell Kinney - only candidate to run for ArbCom in the past four years, always fails with barely 50%, no different this time, plus expect some negative power hungry votes.
The Fat Man Who Never Get Back - seems tempting to support this candidate, good sense of humor, nice statement. Won't get elected though.
Trojanpony - candidate statement explains it all, looking at his edits, isn't even qualified to vote, I don't see a limit on edits to run though, but it should be a common sense removal
Littleunknownadmin
Two more

BillMasen- no experience, original candidacy was malformed,
Lifebaka - Good with AFDs, not for ArbCom
Alex
Another late addition, who I will most likely support, Roger Davies.
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 24th November 2008, 6:42pm) *

Yes, one of the strongest candidates yet. Also I want to see extra opinions on all the candidates, I was the only one that talked about every candidate so far. yecch.gif
wikiwhistle

I don't remember ever hearing of him before. What is arb-able about him and what has he done on wiki, esp. when it comes to policies or conflicts which are what arbs deal with?
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 24th November 2008, 6:54pm) *

I don't remember ever hearing of him before. What is arb-able about him and what has he done on wiki, esp. when it comes to policies or conflicts which are what arbs deal with?

Exact clone of Kirill Lokshin before he became a ArbCom member
Alex
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Mon 24th November 2008, 6:54pm) *

Read his statement. He's hardworking, solves disputes, well-trusted in the community, and writes articles. I've not come across him personally, but I've seen his work.

See his RFA for some more info.
Kurt M. Weber
I will probably win.

If not, we will have conclusive proof that the system is rigged.
SirFozzie
Kurt, seriously?
maggot3
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th November 2008, 7:59pm) *

Kurt, seriously?

You should know he's not serious/just doing it for attention. Just ignore him.
Kurt M. Weber
QUOTE(maggot3 @ Mon 24th November 2008, 2:05pm) *

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th November 2008, 7:59pm) *

Kurt, seriously?

You should know he's not serious/just doing it for attention. Just ignore him.

Please don't claim to know my own motives better than I myself do.
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 24th November 2008, 2:57pm) *

I will probably win.

Um, are you aware that in these elections, the votes are cast publicly?
Alex
Let's not engage the troll in conversation.
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:20pm) *

Let's not engage the troll in conversation.

Generally a good rule, but a one-sentence definitive refutation such as I posted can't hurt.
Kurt M. Weber
QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 24th November 2008, 2:18pm) *

I will probably win.

Um, are you aware that oversight has a serious capability for abuse?
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:25pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 24th November 2008, 2:18pm) *

I will probably win.

Um, are you aware that oversight has a serious capability for abuse?

Alex was right. Goodbye.
Sceptre
I imagine Kunt will get votes from the idiot bloc which contains people like Bedford, etc.
Littleunknownadmin
Can we talk about the arbcom elections please.
Kurt M. Weber
Newyorkbrad, I'm afraid you have just inadvertently exposed yourself as complicit in the conspiracy to rig this process.
Rootology
QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Mon 24th November 2008, 12:34pm) *

I'm afraid you have just inadvertently exposed yourself as complicit in the conspiracy to rig this process.

And in true objectivist fashion, you won't support that. Can we just ignore the self-centered corner of the room now and fork the Randian trolling to tarpit?

If you feel like answering, how is it rigged if you lose? If you get 2 supports, and 100 opposes, is that rigged? Do you believe you'll get 1000 supports and 2 opposes?
Littleunknownadmin
Kurt stop trolling, this isn't wikipedia, we are trying to have a decent conversation about the elections.
Rootology
Question posted to Kurt on his election page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=253847960

You indicated today on Wikipedia Review here that if you lose the AC election, it is rigged, and even went so far as to say that User:Newyorkbrad was in on some scheme. Can you elaborate here on how the present AC election is rigged against you, when all votes are public? rootology ©(T) 20:38, 24 November 2008 (UTC)
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 24th November 2008, 8:39pm) *

You indicated today on Wikipedia Review here that if you lose the AC election, it is rigged, and even went so far as to say that User:Newyorkbrad was in on some scheme. Can you elaborate here on how the present AC election is rigged against you, when all votes are public? rootology ©(T) 20:38, 24 November 2008 (UTC)

He'll likely remove that question like all the others. smile.gif
SirFozzie
QUOTE(Sceptre @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:32pm) *

I imagine Kunt will get votes from the idiot bloc which contains people like Bedford, etc.

Come on, Sceptre. Nameinsults are pretty low. I may not agree with the guy, and think he's being silly, but that's just not on. Don't lower yourself to this.
One
QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 24th November 2008, 8:39pm) *

Like he's going to answer that.

You've probably just exposed yourself as part of the conspiracy. Obviously, you and NYB are going to oversight all the legions of pro-Kurt edits, and if anyone complains about it, they'll be banned and have their edits oversighted. It's really quite simple, and your question only proves your intent to deceive.

Tarpit is due.
Littleunknownadmin
Ok back to elections.... I want to see more opinions of all the candidates running so far.
Alex
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th November 2008, 8:42pm) *

QUOTE(Sceptre @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:32pm) *

Come on, Sceptre. Nameinsults are pretty low. I may not agree with the guy, and think he's being silly, but that's just not on. Don't lower yourself to this.

I'm sure it was just a typo evilgrin.gif
Rootology
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 12:42pm) *

You've probably just exposed yourself as part of the conspiracy.

I'd love for Kurt to name me of all people as part of some intra-WP "conspiracy". I double dog dare him to do it and then provide a rationale beyond "because he said so".
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 24th November 2008, 8:49pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 12:42pm) *

You've probably just exposed yourself as part of the conspiracy.

I'd love for Kurt to name me of all people as part of some intra-WP "conspiracy". I double dog dare him to do it and then provide a rationale beyond "because he said so".

create a new post, stop feeding the trolls yecch.gif
SirFozzie
My opinion is that that intelligent, reasonable SirFozzie should be an Arbitrator and that everyone should vote for him.

(<grins>)

Seriously, there's some good candidates, and some I won't vote for, and some I will be opposing. Since I'm a candidate, I think I'll keep my own counsel and probably vote toward the end of the voting period.
everyking
You people are wasting your time talking about Kurt. Ignore him, except to devote a moment or two to cast a vote against him in December. Anyway...

QUOTE(Littleunknownadmin @ Mon 24th November 2008, 9:47pm) *

Ok back to elections.... I want to see more opinions of all the candidates running so far.

Seriously looking at the list for the first time, I see only three candidates that I am certain or quite likely to vote for: Carcharoth (certain), Wjbscribe (certain), and Fish and karate (likely). There are also a few candidates I would not vote for under any circumstances whatsoever: Charles Matthews, James F., Sam Korn, Shell Kinney, and Secret (and of course Kurt). Making a decision about the remainder of the candidates will require some research and will may involve strategic voting based on how the tallies are looking. The top priority must be to keep out Matthews, James F., and Sam Korn.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:58pm) *

You people are wasting your time talking about Kurt. Ignore him, except to devote a moment or two to cast a vote against him in December. Anyway...

Seriously looking at the list for the first time, I see only three candidates that I am certain or quite likely to vote for: Carcharoth (certain), Wjbscribe (certain), and Fish and karate (likely). There are also a few candidates I would not vote for under any circumstances whatsoever: Charles Matthews, James F., Sam Korn, Shell Kinney, and Secret (and of course Kurt). Making a decision about the remainder of the candidates will require some research and will may involve strategic voting based on how the tallies are looking. The top priority must be to keep out Matthews, James F., and Sam Korn.

If Sam Korn deserves to be lumped into that group, it could use a more detailed reasoning.
everyking
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Mon 24th November 2008, 10:15pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:58pm) *

If Sam Korn deserves to be lumped into that group, it could use a more detailed reasoning.

Sam is a former arbitrator with a record of supporting admin abuse. He did nothing to improve the ArbCom's performance or break the mold.
One
QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 24th November 2008, 9:32pm) *

Sam is a former arbitrator with a record of supporting admin abuse. He did nothing to improve the ArbCom's performance or break the mold.

In other words.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 4:38pm) *

In other words.

Is this really all there is?
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 3:38pm) *

In other words.
Indeed, everyking's grudge with smoddy is rather personal. That said, I've not been impressed with the smodster either. He's not on the level of Charles Matthews or James Forrester (each of whom is bad in his own particular way), but I'd have to agree with everyking that smoddy is someone who is not fit to serve on ArbCom.

Of course, I think Wikipedia is best served by electing bombastic, erratic firebrands, rather than clear, calm, rational thinkers, because that path will hasten the death of the project. Unfortunately, smoddy fails in this regard too; he (like James) tends to only get involved occasionally. He's better off running around pissing people off as an ordinary admin, unfettered by the need to behave in an Arbitratorial fashion.
Sceptre
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 24th November 2008, 8:53pm) *

My opinion is that that intelligent, reasonable SirFozzie should be an Arbitrator and that everyone should vote for him.

(<grins>)

Seriously, there's some good candidates, and some I won't vote for, and some I will be opposing. Since I'm a candidate, I think I'll keep my own counsel and probably vote toward the end of the voting period.

I'd vote for you.
Kato
On one candidate answer I was reading, there was mention of a table that detailed the edits of each of the candidates.

For those who like that type of thing, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Franamax...2008_Candidates
Steve Crossin
It's all a conspiracy! Everyone knows that confused.gif

Personally, if I could, I'd definitely vote for Vassyana, WJB, Wizardman, and Rlevse. I couldn't support Charles Matthews or Privatemusings. I don't think Kmweber should be opposed. I think he should be banned.
Shalom
QUOTE(Steve Crossin @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 7:54pm) *

Personally, if I could, I'd definitely vote for Vassyana, WJB, Wizardman, and Rlevse. I couldn't support Charles Matthews or Privatemusings. I don't think Kmweber should be opposed. I think he should be banned.

I'm not a mod, so I'm not supposed to do this, but...

Welcome, Steve Crossin! Another banned user!
Alex
QUOTE(Shalom @ Thu 4th December 2008, 1:11am) *

OMG revert his edits! Delete his articles! Remove all memory of him! Seriously though, Wikipedia reminds me of Orwell's 1984; a banned user is an unperson, and all traces of them must be removed. Welcome Steve! laugh.gif
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Alex @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 8:17pm) *

OMG revert his edits! Delete his articles! Remove all memory of him! Seriously though, Wikipedia reminds me of Orwell's 1984; a banned user is an unperson, and all traces of them must be removed. Welcome Steve! laugh.gif

I thought the usual complaint is that Wikipedia retains too much information concerning the doings of the banned user.
The Wales Hunter

Another banned user who has run to Simple English Wikipedia because he wasn't mature enough for the real one.

Alex is the only serious participant in Wikipedia for Dummies who can actually hold his own on the "proper" version.
Robert Roberts
Is simple still a penal farm for grown-up wikipedia?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.