Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IP-vandal Protest Day
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Milton Roe
I've already taken an oath not to help WP with any of its fundamental problems until it does something about its "culture" of Goths. And I mean that in all senses of the word. And though I also work on individual science and history articles I'm interested in (I contribute more lasting content than just about anybody dramatizing on Jimbo's TALK page), I only revert vandalism on articles where it is interfering with my personal work. The rest of it I leave alone to the Huggle users who only have work because Jimbo and the community cannot allow Huggies for the un-potty-trained. The non-housetrained. yak.gif yecch.gif

And I'm going to suggest something else, which I heard the other day and am happy to spread as a meme. I suggest that editors of content on WP, as a protest (until sprotection, or its equivalent, arrives), refrain from reverting ANY IP-vandalism on their favorite weekend day. Simply pick your religious (or otherwise) weekend day-of-rest, and do no IP-vandal reversion on that day, letting it pile up like the garbage in a city sanitation engineer's strike. But not all the time. Just one day a weekend. I do not urge anybody to vandalize wikipedia; I suggest you merely refrain from cleaning up gratuitous IP-vandalism on the weekly day of IP-vandal-protest, and thus send a message to the others of the "community" at WP, that if they insist on letting "anybody" edit, then for this day, THEY get to clean up the shit from it. pinch.gif

Enjoy, you lackies!
Shalom
I've never edited Wikipedia on my religious day of rest, but I never made a point of announcing that to the world. It's not going to be effective as a protest unless people know you're doing it and participate in the protest.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Shalom @ Sun 23rd November 2008, 12:44pm) *

I've never edited Wikipedia on my religious day of rest, but I never made a point of announcing that to the world. It's not going to be effective as a protest unless people know you're doing it and participate in the protest.

YEEEESSSS. Which is why I posted the idea here. Which is read by WP editors. I don't expect them to post it as a userbox on their WP userpage! [Make a userbox for this and it will get you banned faster than a pedophile]. But word will get around anyway, on this and other sites.

I'd love to make the userbox:

In protest against IP-editing, this editor does not revert IP-vandals on the Sabbath. Do your own maidwork, little maids!

This of course needs a French-maid costume logo. smile.gif

Peter Damian
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 23rd November 2008, 7:50pm) *

YEEEESSSS. Which is why I posted the idea here. Which is read by WP editors. I don't expect them to post it as a userbox on their WP userpage! [Make a userbox for this and it will get you banned faster than a pedophile]. But word will get around anyway, on this and other sites.

In protest against IP-editing, this editor does not revert IP-vandals on the Sabbath. Do your own maidwork, little maids!

I'm afraid I can't help, never having reverted any vandalism in my entire 5 year career there.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 23rd November 2008, 2:42pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 23rd November 2008, 7:50pm) *

I'm afraid I can't help, never having reverted any vandalism in my entire 5 year career there.

You've got me, then. Didn't it ever happen in articles you were working on? What did you do, ignore it?
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 23rd November 2008, 9:43pm) *

You've got me, then. Didn't it ever happen in articles you were working on? What did you do, ignore it?

Yes but I ignored it and some 'vandal fighter' would come along. I saw, and still see my job as reverting stuff that does not look like obvious vandalism, but in a sense is. Some guy who says that Aristotle was really Egyptian, or confuses metaphysics with crystal healing.

The sooner that account registration happens, the better.

I once notified Will Beback that there was some vandalism on a page, and he thanked me, but assumed I had reverted it. It stayed there for a month and then I rewrote the para as part of a rehaul and it went. Otherwise it would have stayed.
Tex
--> Didn't it ever happen in articles you were working on? What did you do, ignore it?

Most pages i used to edit have been sliced in half or deleted by some guy who is an admin and in the slicing process vandalism got erased automatically
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.