Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Election guides
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
Cla68
I mentioned this in another thread, but I wanted to highlight that a couple of editors have spent some time evaluating the ArbCom candidates and have written excellent guides. One is by Lar and the other by SandyGeorgia. Both have different perspectives on evaluating the candidates. If you know of any other good ones, please add them to this thread. Actually, if anyone wants to give their own opinions of who they're going to support/oppose and why, perhaps this thread would be a good place to do it.
D.A.F.
Here are my picks, of course I can't vote since I'm banned. (I only include those I think should become arbitrators and those who should under no circumstances become one).

Casliber- Strong support.
Cool_Hand_Luke- Strong support.
George_The_Dragon- Strong Support
Jayvdb- Strong Oppose
Jdforrester- Strong Oppose
Jehochman- I strongly supported him, now undicided, but I still believe he does have the potential.
Risker- Strong support
Rlevse- Strong oppose
SirFozzie- Strong support
The_Fat_Man_Who_Never_Came_Back- Strong support
White_Cat- Strong oppose
Casliber
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Sun 30th November 2008, 7:40pm) *

Here are my picks, of course I can't vote since I'm banned. (I only include those I think should become arbitrators and those who should under no circumstances become one).

Jayvdb- Strong Oppose
Jehochman- I strongly supported him, now undicided, but I still believe he does have the potential.
Risker- Strong support
Rlevse- Strong oppose
White_Cat- Strong oppose

Hahahaha...great, oh wait....you can't vote (d'oh!)
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Casliber @ Sun 30th November 2008, 1:33pm) *

Jayvdb- Strong Oppose
Risker- Strong support
Rlevse- Strong oppose
White_Cat- Strong oppose

That sounds about right. I would have voted for Sir Fozzie but now he has blocked me and I can't.
One
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 30th November 2008, 1:35pm) *

That sounds about right. I would have voted for Sir Fozzie but now he has blocked me and I can't.

That's a nice snark, but you could not vote because your account did not have 150 edits before November 1. If you had asked a bureaucrat to add the history of a banned user to your account, it would have probably concluded with the same result.

One of the new guides grades answers to their own questions in the form of a final exam. That's interesting.
wikiwhistle
Carcharoth- oppose- have some concerns but can't remember what offhand, maybe a bit like current ones, not warm
Casliber- support.
Charles Matthews-Strongest of Opposes plus is a current arb
Fish and Karate- support, ok bloke
Gwen Gale- strong support is female and I've liked some of her blocks etc
Jdforrester- strong oppose as current arb
Jehochman- I strongly supported him, now very undecided due to some of his recent words
Kmweber- support because I always support him, personally find amusing for some reason
Private Musings- oppose, too flippant and somewhat sycophantic nowadays
Risker- support- is said to be female
Rlevse- oppose - too like the current arbs
RMHED- oppose, is having a laugh
Sam Korn- oppose, former arb, isn't he the one practically a child when on it last time, or was that the other Sam?
SirFozzie- support
WJScribe- oppose- too much like current, plus damian actions
Wizardman-support
privatemusings
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 30th November 2008, 6:34pm) *

Private Musings- oppose, too flippant and somewhat sycophantic nowadays

dammit, and I was hoping for the Sticky Whistle vote! - would it help if someone said I was female ;-)

I'm in a 'trying to get people to listen' sort of mood at the moment, perhaps that comes across as sycophancy - though the flippancy is all my own I'm afraid - one person said I come across like a drunk chick with a crush - worryingly accurate... I'll sober up in due course, no matter whom I wake up with, I guess....

Vote me anyways, whistle :-)

(or not, that's cool)
D.A.F.
QUOTE(Casliber @ Sun 30th November 2008, 8:33am) *

Jayvdb- Strong Oppose
Risker- Strong support
Rlevse- Strong oppose
White_Cat- Strong oppose

Yes I can't, I thought you should know why I am still blocked.

Sock Anatolmethanol created to stop the disruption of a member (Flavius Belisarius) who was indefinitly banned and who was escaping his ban.I then used that sock in two article in a civile way to show why it is impossible to reasonate a dishonnet member who misquoted, distorted etc. The sample of the discussions posted in an arbcom page. Result, ban reset.

Second sock, Drosophilawhodoestnotfly created to fix Armenian Genocide revisionist materials to find out that I was dishonestly accused of being another member which I was not. See my comment here.

The other two socks were used to comment in an arbcom case. Result, ban reset.

On the other hand another member who was banned at the same time, used his socks to revert war and do the very same things for which he was banned, used several times more sock than I, and his ban expired, because his last socks a checkusers did not confirm.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sun 30th November 2008, 7:19pm) *

I'm in a 'trying to get people to listen' sort of mood at the moment, perhaps that comes across as sycophancy

Well you do want to do something with your artist formerly known as Wikipedia Weekly- so if any devout wikipers were to like it you had to make yourself a bit more likeable to them.

though the flippancy is all my own I'm afraid - one person said I come across like a drunk chick with a crush - worryingly accurate...

Lol that's probably a quality we share. smile.gif
Cla68
For what it's worth, I support the following candidates because of their excellent and sustained main space or other kinds of contributions:

Risker
Rlevse
Roger Davies
Casliber
Cool Hand Luke
Fish and Karate
Jehochman
Wizardman
Jayvdb
Sir Fozzie

As of right now, I only really oppose two candidates:

Jdforrester- A failure to accept any accountability for the IRC fiasco and a conspicuous lack of consistent mainspace edits.

Carcharoth- This is a tough one. Carcharoth appears to be a genuinely nice person and seems to be effective at mediating disputes. The problem is, there already is an effective mediator on the ArbCom, NYB, and I don't think we need another. We need more arbs that will kick tail and cut through the nonsense and wikipolitics (and I'm not necessarily implying that NYB doesn't ever do this). East718 presents a compelling argument also.

Good luck to all the candidates!
D.A.F.
Rlevse has a history of making comments and taking decisions without really knowing what is the problem.

Anyone who has been a clerk should have acted exemplary, because they are those most implicated in cases after the arbitrators and they had the chance to prove themselves. That's a serious minus. He has shown some restrain though, and I may be wrong about him.

Jayvdb is a compleatly different story, there are strong chances that this guy will be taking the side of his friends if he ever become an arbitrator. He has also acted very dishonestly by proxying for one of his buddies on another wiki to request a cross wiki checkusers against a user who was behaving on English Wikipedia, profitting his body who was doing anything to have the user restricted. As a result the thing was brought on Wikipedia-en and used to try to sanction someone. He even lied claiming to not have had communicated with his body during the time period, when he admited communication took place. He also claimed not reading all which was to be read about an incident and then claiming he is quite sure of the fact about it.

Right now, he can have supports, because his contributions in articles were mostly limited to reverting anon IPs and creating pages of 2 line long. But once he become implicated it will become clear.

Some other reminder, most of the contacts the guy has is with influencial members, for exemple, Lar who is a facebook friend of his (not that it is bad, but just that John's choices of contact are mostly targeted where it matters in term of obtaining supports, and not the result of a long term collaboration in writting articles), Clerks etc.

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 30th November 2008, 4:17pm) *

For what it's worth, I support the following candidates because of their excellent and sustained main space or other kinds of contributions:

Risker
Rlevse
Roger Davies
Casliber
Cool Hand Luke
Fish and Karate
Jehochman
Wizardman
Jayvdb
Sir Fozzie

As of right now, I only really oppose two candidates:

Jdforrester- A failure to accept any accountability for the IRC fiasco and a conspicuous lack of consistent mainspace edits.

Carcharoth- This is a tough one. Carcharoth appears to be a genuinely nice person and seems to be effective at mediating disputes. The problem is, there already is an effective mediator on the ArbCom, NYB, and I don't think we need another. We need more arbs that will kick tail and cut through the nonsense and wikipolitics (and I'm not necessarily implying that NYB doesn't ever do this). East718 presents a compelling argument also.

Good luck to all the candidates!
Kato
SandyGeorgia's guide is quite amusing. It includes at least three blink and you'll miss 'em digs at SlimVirgin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SandyGeorgia/ArbVotes

Her comments on JdForrester are interesting:

QUOTE(SandyGeorgia)
Completely negligible article contributions, and per demonstrated disrespect for top article contributors, recognizing two subsequently desysopped admins (FeloniousMonk and SlimVirgin) as "valued contributors", while not supporting similar wording for Cla68, one of Wiki's top FA producers
Casliber
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Mon 1st December 2008, 6:23am) *

Sock Anatolmethanol created to stop the disruption of a member (Flavius Belisarius) who was indefinitly banned and who was escaping his ban.I then used that sock in two article in a civile way to show why it is impossible to reasonate a dishonnet member who misquoted, distorted etc. The sample of the discussions posted in an arbcom page. Result, ban reset.

Second sock, Drosophilawhodoestnotfly created to fix Armenian Genocide revisionist materials to find out that I was dishonestly accused of being another member which I was not. See my comment here.

On the other hand another member who was banned at the same time, used his socks to revert war and do the very same things for which he was banned, used several times more sock than I, and his ban expired, because his last socks a checkusers did not confirm.

All I can say is "ouch!" - I had never realised quite how difficult some of these ethnic battlegrounds are (though obvious really)!
D.A.F.
You're the psychiatrist, you! tell! me! smile.gif
Oh and, it wasn't an ethnic conflict, it was deguised to look like one by one side so that there is no surface scratching. The actual case by its true nature should have recieved more coverage but the real issue was deliberatly thrown under the carpet and the case was taget Armenia-Azerbaijan. No one is interested with ethnic conflicts, so it was convinient to make it pass as that and by the same occasion be sure that no further scratching is done. Just thought that since you will become an arbitrator you should know more about the case.

QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 1st December 2008, 2:50am) *

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Mon 1st December 2008, 6:23am) *

All I can say is "ouch!" - I had never realised quite how difficult some of these ethnic battlegrounds are (though obvious really)!
Cedric
Election guides seem all the rage in this silly season. Even Der Autobahnenfuehrer came up with one of his own, primarily concerned with Roadster issues, of course. rolleyes.gif

EDIT: It appears One already linked to it.
Rhindle
One thing about these endorsements is that we can see how much weight these editors carry in wikiworld. It does not seem like there are too many this year but if those that did have their endorsements fall in line with the actual vote I'm sure there will be a flood of endorsements next year.
Jaranda
QUOTE(Rhindle @ Mon 1st December 2008, 1:44pm) *

One thing about these endorsements is that we can see how much weight these editors carry in wikiworld. It does not seem like there are too many this year but if those that did have their endorsements fall in line with the actual vote I'm sure there will be a flood of endorsements next year.

It also depends on the users who support/oppose them, if a user only support from all the arbcom members, checkusers, crats and other prominent members, then a bandwagon from other, less important editors follow. It's always the case for these elections and RFA, only a limited amount of users actually interacted with the person on wiki.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.