Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WJBScribe withdraws
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
Steve Crossin
This is a real shame, I feel. But I guess if he feels he can't contribute enough time to Wikipedia, then fair enough. Still a shame, though.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Steve Crossin @ Wed 10th December 2008, 6:53pm) *

This is a real shame, I feel. But I guess if he feels he can't contribute enough time to Wikipedia, then fair enough. Still a shame, though.

Can't stop crying myself.
wikiwhistle
hmmmm...I wonder why he's withdrawn?

And I was planning the most tactical voting ever smile.gif And no I don't think, as he says some people were in his explanation, that he wanted the position for its own sake, I just think he does things his influential friends want him to too much, or turns a blind eye to problems with his friends/those he likes' behaviour (most of us do.)

And I think the powers that be wanted him in.
Steve Crossin
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Thu 11th December 2008, 9:58am) *

hmmmm...I wonder why he's withdrawn?

And I was planning the most tactical voting ever smile.gif And no I don't think, as he says some people were in his explanation, that he wanted the position for its own sake, I just think he does things his influential friends want him to too much, or turns a blind eye to problems with his friends/those he likes' behaviour (most of us do.)

And I think the powers that be wanted him in.

I can see why people think he is a hat collector. That doesn't mean I agree with it. I don't think he wanted the position as much as people think he wanted it. I still think he'd have been a fine arb, but I guess it's not to be.
Anonymous editor
Should be interesting. Pedro supported a couple to try and keep them ahead of WJB in percentage. I wonder if he'll strike those now.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Thu 11th December 2008, 1:45am) *

Should be interesting. Pedro supported a couple to try and keep them ahead of WJB in percentage. I wonder if he'll strike those now.

I did, but I still prefer them to those below, such as Wizardman I prefer as a potential arb to Carcharoth.
LaraLove
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 10th December 2008, 8:45pm) *

I believe he did. It was his removal of votes that came across the live feed and made me go blink.gif I asked in chan wtf he was doing, then jumped to the ACE page to see that WJB had withdrawn. I assume those votes he removed, which I believe included Jayvdb, were his tactical votes.
Obesity
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 10th December 2008, 11:12pm) *

I asked in chan wtf he was doing

What is "chan"? Do you mean, like, one of the IRC channels.... or are you guys hanging out here now?
everyking
It's a shame, as he was my favorite candidate. I suppose Jayvdb will get in now, and I don't know what to think about him; I have little faith in someone who is willing to resign just because Jpgordon is throwing a hissy fit to protect a troll (although I think some people probably support him because of that incident). If there's a silver lining here, it's that Scribe's withdrawal may improve Carcharoth's chances.
Son of a Yeti
He wrote:

It has now become clear to me in the last few days that this will not be the case and that the amount of time I will be able to dedicate to the project will be much reduced from now on.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that, even were I to have a level of support sufficient to be elected to the Arbitration Committee, I would not be able to offer the time that the position requires.

The only thing missing is that he want to devote more time to his family. Perhaps he has none.

I'll cite an article on the very subject:
http://virtuallinguist.typepad.com/the_vir...eir-family.html

Spending time with the family is the favourite euphemism of politicians who: a) fear they are about to be sacked, b) have major disagreements with the prime minister on policy (and thus fear they are about to be sacked) c) expect to lose their marginal seat in the next election and thus jump first (it gives them more time to find a cushy directorship) or d) are about to have an illicit affair made public.

Wouldn't point b) be the most probable? Of course as long as we can call Jimbo a prime minister wink.gif
KamrynMatika
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Thu 11th December 2008, 1:45am) *

I did that too. I'm not going to change my votes, I don't really care enough about the other candidates either way. I'm glad he withdrew though, it seemed like he was going to become another FT2. The rest of the candidates don't seem too bad, but then I thought that last year... what is it about arbcom that makes otherwise nice-seeming people become completely retarded? unhappy.gif
Krimpet
QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 11th December 2008, 12:52am) *

What is "chan"? Do you mean, like, one of the IRC channels.... or are you guys hanging out here now?

There's an IRC channel with a live feed of the ArbCom elections, #wikipedia-en-ace on Freenode.
everyking
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Thu 11th December 2008, 10:18am) *

The rest of the candidates don't seem too bad, but then I thought that last year... what is it about arbcom that makes otherwise nice-seeming people become completely retarded? unhappy.gif

I've worried about that problem as well. Obviously new arbitrators tend to be influenced by the older arbitrators and the established culture, thinking and practice. One reason I proposed that all the ArbCom seats go up for election this year was that I felt that would be a good way of clearing out the old culture--having only a partial change in composition each year (not to mention of the presence of old arbitrators on the mailing list) favors the negative enculturation of new arbitrators. Nevertheless, I'm hopeful that the degree of change the ArbCom is undergoing with this election will be sufficient to accomplish a major shift in the way the ArbCom operates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.