Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deskana's WikiBreak
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > Admin retirements
Willking1979
Deskana posted the following at 0151 UTC on the Wikipedia user page:

I am sick of the users on this site, so I am taking a break for a while.

Your thoughts???
Alison
QUOTE(Willking1979 @ Thu 15th January 2009, 6:03pm) *

Your thoughts???

He's sick of users on WP and he's taking a break tongue.gif

Dan took a long break last year already, so it's no surprise. To be honest, I understand how he feels; he's burned out and somewhat tired of the drama.

Welcome to WR, by the way smile.gif
Moulton
Some years ago, Dr. Susan Forward wrote a best-selling book entitled, Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life.

Of course not every child of toxic parents pulled their lives out of the pit of Hell. Evidently some of them went on to become abusive admins at Wikipedia.

You'd think that the team that manages the sum of all human knowledge would be informed enough to avail themselves of the deeper insights compiled over the centuries by the planet's more gifted thinkers.

But if you did think that, your thinking would not correspond to the horrific reality of Wikipedia.
Cla68
QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 16th January 2009, 2:06am) *

QUOTE(Willking1979 @ Thu 15th January 2009, 6:03pm) *

Your thoughts???

He's sick of users on WP and he's taking a break tongue.gif

Dan took a long break last year already, so it's no surprise. To be honest, I understand how he feels; he's burned out and somewhat tired of the drama.

Welcome to WR, by the way smile.gif

Yes, welcome. Look at Deskana's contribution history for the last few weeks or so. There's hardly any article writing in there, it's almost all admin work. So, I'm not surprised that he might be burned out. I've said it before, in my opinion to get any long-term satisfaction out of participating in Wikipedia, you have to work on significantly improving articles about subjects that interest you. Otherwise, you'll get burned out because you won't see any progress for the time you've spent.
tarantino
Deskana was a MMORPG-playing, Subway sandwich-making Pokemon collecting(1) student. Why these particular set of skills qualified him to be obtain more power than almost everyone else on Wikipedia is part of its problem.

(1) All statements are easily verified by viewing his early contributions and deleted versions of his user page.
LaraLove
Deskana is a good guy. He's made his mistakes, but he's always been one to own them and apologize for them. Trustworthy and respectable. I hope he enjoys his break. Can't say I hope he comes back, but that's not an insult to him by any means. Support for anyone who can successfully break free of this black hole of drama. He is, however, an asset to the project.
Anonymous editor
I hope he stays gone this time.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Willking1979 @ Fri 16th January 2009, 2:03am) *

Your thoughts???

Another day, another flounce-out? Fake retirements are the way of the wiki, ignore them.
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(Willking1979 @ Fri 16th January 2009, 2:03am) *

Your thoughts???

I'm disappointed. Just one poxy sentence? Where's the bile? The vitriol? And where, for the love of Bog, is the resignation and the Big Flounce-off? These idiots can't do anything right.

Apart from that, good riddance. One down, etc. Brief though it will be.
EricBarbour
Lessee....three favorable comments about Deskana,
and four not-so-favorable. Hmm.

He did vote to desysop SV.
Yet he also wants to give FT2 the benefit of the doubt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.