Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JayJG has something against ISBN?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Jayjg
Chris Croy
In Slashdot's comments on PARC's Wikidashboard tool, there's an interesting anecdote about jayjg.

Seeing that happen on three or four articles I made edits to and added to my watchlist, I basically gave up on trying to contribute to Wikipedia. Actually, the final straw was when I added ISBN numbers to J. Edgar Hoover's wikipedia page -- I noticed they were missing, so I looked them up and put them in. How controversial is that? It got reverted by a wikipedia admin (JayJG) with an ideological axe to grind. Twice.

That was basically it for me. If ISBN numbers aren't politically correct, Wikipedia is nothing more than a ideological cesspool.

There's no date given for this; any idea on what would be the most efficient way to find the edit in question? I can't imagine he's made all that many contributions to Hoover's article.
Cla68
QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Mon 9th February 2009, 1:54am) *

In Slashdot's comments on PARC's Wikidashboard tool, there's an interesting anecdote about jayjg.

Seeing that happen on three or four articles I made edits to and added to my watchlist, I basically gave up on trying to contribute to Wikipedia. Actually, the final straw was when I added ISBN numbers to J. Edgar Hoover's wikipedia page -- I noticed they were missing, so I looked them up and put them in. How controversial is that? It got reverted by a wikipedia admin (JayJG) with an ideological axe to grind. Twice.

That was basically it for me. If ISBN numbers aren't politically correct, Wikipedia is nothing more than a ideological cesspool.

There's no date given for this; any idea on what would be the most efficient way to find the edit in question? I can't imagine he's made all that many contributions to Hoover's article.

There's probably more to the story on that one. I don't know why Jayjg would object to having ISBN numbers in an article. If they were added in the wrong format, then maybe he reverted without trying to take the time to fix it, but I wouldn't assume that that's the case unless I knew the whole story.
Random832
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...tory&limit=5000 gives the entire history - just search for his name. I can already say though that his only edits to the article are NOT reverting the insertion of IBSN numbers. An IP inserted material about Hoover's anti-communist activities, was reverted, then later making the same edit with an added amazon ASIN link, was still reverted. One suspects that the amazon ASIN link was not among Jayjg's objections to the edit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.