Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jayjg at Commons
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Jayjg
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(VDyk @ Fri 13th March 2009, 11:11am) *

Can't argue with Jayjg & co there. Why the hell would anyone think that's appropriate content for an encyclopedia? (Although it got discussed a few months ago on Wikipedia and someone did claim it was "notable", with our old friend "it got mentioned somewhere, that means we need an article on it".)

(adding) Good thing the "delete" voters haven't come across BabyKillerZionbies.gif yet…
Lar
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 13th March 2009, 6:50am) *

Can't argue with Jayjg & co there. Why the hell would anyone think that's appropriate content for an encyclopedia? (Although it got discussed a few months ago on Wikipedia and someone did claim it was "notable", with our old friend "it got mentioned somewhere, that means we need an article on it".)

I think Jayjg's involvement here is peripheral, it came to his attention, and he spoke out in favor of deletion, but if you read the deletion request you'll see the whole thing predates his involvement by quite a bit. Many folk have spoken out in favor of deletion (including Mike Godwin, who opined that he'd personally favor it being removed) and many of those arguing in favor of retention are (at least in my view) folks who tend to argue to keep everything regardless of how outrageous it is, and some of whom tend to argue against BLP as a problem that needs action.

I have no fondness for Mr. Dershowitz, but I was among those voices arguing that this image is out of scope, defamatory, and not needed. See also discussion on WP at: Talk:Carlos_Latuff#File:Alan_dershowitz_by_Latuff.jpg...

(adding) Good thing the "delete" voters haven't come across BabyKillerZionbies.gif yet…

That specific file may not have been discussed, not sure, but I think most would view it as different from the Dershowitz cartoon, as it is a political viewpoint without a specific reference to a particular person, not a defamation of a particular person. (there have been other Latuff deletion requests in the past)
VDyk
QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 13th March 2009, 2:25pm) *

I think Jayjg's involvement here is peripheral, it came to his attention, and he spoke out in favor of deletion, but if you read the deletion request you'll see the whole thing predates his involvement by quite a bit. Many folk have spoken out in favor of deletion (including Mike Godwin, who opined that he'd personally favor it being removed) and many of those arguing in favor of retention are (at least in my view) folks who tend to argue to keep everything regardless of how outrageous it is, and some of whom tend to argue against BLP as a problem that needs action.

I have no fondness for Mr. Dershowitz, but I was among those voices arguing that this image is out of scope, defamatory, and not needed. See also discussion on WP at: Talk:Carlos_Latuff#File:Alan_dershowitz_by_Latuff.jpg...

That specific file may not have been discussed, not sure, but I think most would view it as different from the Dershowitz cartoon, as it is a political viewpoint without a specific reference to a particular person, not a defamation of a particular person. (there have been other Latuff deletion requests in the past)

I will wait whether people like Avraham will delete images like http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Skinhead.gif with the same reasoning or whether they admit that they want to have Commons like Jayjgpedia. Political censorship is the worse thing that can happen at Commons and I want also to see notable Communist, Nazi, Israeli, liberal, conservative, American, anarchist... propaganda there. Cartoons and paintings are often against somebody...

Pieter Kuiper wrote the most important argument here. This image was part of Dershowitz–Finkelstein affair so it is more important than stupid leftist cartoons like BabyKillerZionbies.gif.
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(VDyk @ Fri 13th March 2009, 4:11am) *

I agree with Jayjg on this one. It should be deleted unless there is a really good reason to keep it - just common sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.