Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akahele - Wikipedia, Wikimedia, and Smartphones
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
thekohser
A new article is published on Akahele.org.

Anthony gives a simple run-down on the Wikipedia license swap-a-roo, the Commons (fake) picture of the year, the Scientology snafu, and a bit about smartphones that I found especially intriguing because I've had a smartphone app running through my head but am unable to program. Maybe DiPierro's my guy!

Greg
Kato
Good work Anthony. I like these kinds of round-ups.

Didn't know about the fake photo of the year until now.
anthony
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 9th June 2009, 9:24pm) *

Didn't know about the fake photo of the year until now.

As soon as I saw it (back when it was only a category winner) "photoshopped" came into my head. Shadows just don't work that way. Then when I saw what Commons claimed to be the original, I figured maybe I was wrong. Then I looked at the photo details, to see if maybe the photographer was using a flash, and saw "Software: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows". Somehow I missed the photographer's flickr comment until about a week ago, when I went back to the flickr page after it won POTY:

i'm quite surprised with this photo's success. the photo didn't look that interesting in the camera's display, but once adjusting some values on the computer it made a big difference. the most dramatic improvement came with the "Shadow/Highlight" filter.

Then a little Googling led me to the German blog post explaining the edits, and containing the original.

http://akahele.org/wp-content/uploads/2009...4a98d0e73_o.jpg (can someone add akahele.org to the whitelist and inline this?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.