Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales rocks out
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
Jimmy Wales ("Wik-uh-pedia founder") was invited as a guest disc jockey on KCRW.

Rush is one of his favorite bands. I may need to do some re-thinking on my own tastes for Canadian math-rock.

I suggest you click through to the "download" link, since the "Listen" source seems to just load and load and load without playing.

Playlist:

Spinal Tap - "Stonehenge"

Blue Man Group - "Rods and Cones"
(Jimbo listens to this "all the time", the same way as "Bach or something")

Sesame Street - "Sunny Day theme song"

Weird Al Yankovic - "White and Nerdy"
("Wow, Wikipedia has really entered the culture...")

Rush - "Tom Sawyer"
("It just rocks...")

Total length: 9:58
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 12th June 2009, 4:23pm) *

Jimmy Wales ("Wik-uh-pedia founder") was invited as a guest disc jockey on KCRW.

Rush is one of his favorite bands. I may need to do some re-thinking on my own tastes for Canadian math-rock.

I suggest you click through to the "download" link, since the "Listen" source seems to just load and load and load without playing.

Playlist:

Spinal Tap - "Stonehenge"

Sesame Street - "Sunny Day theme song"

Rush - "Tom Sawyer"
("It just rocks...")

Total length: 9:58

I wonder if he realises the Tap were a spoof band?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 12th June 2009, 8:23am) *

Hey, it helps him See the Light.
sbrown
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 12th June 2009, 10:57pm) *

Why would that bother him? He "founded" a spoof website yes?
Somey
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 12th June 2009, 4:57pm) *

This doesn't surprise me, but the truth is, for Wikipedia to have really entered the culture, there would have to be more than a handful of songs that mention it, and there would have to be far more movies and books and TV shows in which it plays some sort of integral role. The closest I can come to it at the moment is probably the series Eleventh Hour, in which the Special Agent Felix Lee character (Omar Benson Miller) mentions it several times as the source for his knowledge of mostly trivial facts.

A search on eMusic reveals only two songs with "Wikipedia" in the title, both comedy/novelty tracks - "Wikipedia" by country/folk act One Horse Shy, and "I'm On It (Wikipedia)" by a comedy rap act called Sudden Death, who - sure enough - are on Wikipedia. Both of these, as well as the Wierd Al song, are frankly suggestive of little more than the fact that Wikipedia is essentially a big joke.

Admittedly I know of no songs specifcally about the Encyclopedia Britannica whatsoever, but that isn't really surprising either - this is as it should be, IMO. Overall, the lack of these kinds of cultural references to Wikipedia, despite its near-ubiquity as an online reference, has always struck me as one of the more positive and heartening things about the general effort to oppose WP's incursion into "modern life."

Jimbo's engaging in a bit of wishful thinking here, I'm afraid.
Nerd
QUOTE(sbrown @ Sat 13th June 2009, 8:17am) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 12th June 2009, 10:57pm) *

What website would that be then?
Somey
QUOTE(Nerd @ Sat 13th June 2009, 11:32am) *

What websites has he founded?
thekohser
QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 13th June 2009, 12:39pm) *

Honestly, it seems that he always requires assistance in launching websites. He's co-founder of Bomis, of Wikipedia, of Wikia, of OpenServing, and of Wikiasari.

The only entity that I understand him to have truly "founded" mostly on his own is the Wikimedia Foundation.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 13th June 2009, 6:21pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 13th June 2009, 12:39pm) *

Honestly, it seems that he always requires assistance in launching websites. He's co-founder of Bomis, of Wikipedia, of Wikia, of OpenServing, and of Wikiasari.

The only entity that I understand him to have truly "founded" mostly on his own is the Wikimedia Foundation.

Didn't one of his Bomis partners do a a lot of the early responsible stuff - paperwork and finances, the things that required effort? I seem to recall Anthere thanking him publicly. Michael Davis or was it Tim Shell? He seemed to shun publicity but was a prime mover setting up the foundation.
sbrown
QUOTE(Nerd @ Sat 13th June 2009, 5:32pm) *

QUOTE(sbrown @ Sat 13th June 2009, 8:17am) *

Cant you see I put "founded" in quotes? Ive got abominable eyesight whats your excuse?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.