Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coren's retired
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > Admin retirements
Nerd
Seems Coren has retired. He has moved himself to the former arbitrator list, but has yet to actually give up adminship, checkuser and oversight. Wonder what's up with him.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Nerd @ Mon 6th July 2009, 2:25pm) *

Seems Coren has retired. He has moved himself to the former arbitrator list, but has yet to actually give up adminship, checkuser and oversight. Wonder what's up with him.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no policy that even encourages resigning arbs to give up checkuser and oversight. And seeing as adminship is granted in a separate process from arbcom, I don't know why he would give it up. It would be like saying that if someone who is on MedCom and BAG resigns from MedCom, they also should resign from BAG.

Oh and of the arbs to leave since Jan 2008,
UninvitedCompany - Kept
YellowMonkey - Kept
Jpgordon - Kept
Jdforrester - Kept
Sam Blacketer - Didn't keep
Charles Matthews - Didn't keep
Morven - Didn't keep
FT2 - Kept
Paul August - Didn't keep
Deskana - Kept
No one of consequence
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Mon 6th July 2009, 1:56pm) *

To the best of my knowledge, there is no policy that even encourages resigning arbs to give up checkuser and oversight. And seeing as adminship is granted in a separate process from arbcom, I don't know why he would give it up. It would be like saying that if someone who is on MedCom and BAG resigns from MedCom, they also should resign from BAG.

If the 2010 Arbcom keeps the same policy that the 2009 Arbcom put in place this year (always a big "if"), then Coren's use of checkuser and oversight will be reviewed in a year to see whether he is active enough to justify retaining the access. Lots of editors "retire", few actually retire.
Nerd
Why would a retired person need to keep extra privs? Unless of course they are simply a badge of honour. Ah, yes.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Nerd @ Mon 6th July 2009, 3:05pm) *

Why would a retired person need to keep extra privs? Unless of course they are simply a badge of honour. Ah, yes.

To use the tools in non-arb situations per policy would be the reason. Dominic and Mackensen work out a good deal at SPI and Jpgordon and Sam Korn are also both active with the tools.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Nerd @ Mon 6th July 2009, 2:05pm) *

It could be he is not entirely committed to retirement. He may plan to be mostly inactive but helping out now and then behind the scenes. Or it may be that he has not gotten around to it. Or that he uses those tools so rarely that it is not foremost in his mind to resign them. Or it could be badge-seeking. Hence the new Arbcom policy of removing access after a year of inactivity.
everyking
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 6th July 2009, 3:01pm) *

If the 2010 Arbcom keeps the same policy that the 2009 Arbcom put in place this year (always a big "if"), then Coren's use of checkuser and oversight will be reviewed in a year to see whether he is active enough to justify retaining the access. Lots of editors "retire", few actually retire.

Aren't you supposed to be retired, Thatcher?
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Mon 6th July 2009, 11:10am) *
To use the tools in non-arb situations per policy would be the reason. Dominic and Mackensen work out a good deal at SPI and Jpgordon and Sam Korn are also both active with the tools.
He's retiring from Wikipedia, though, not just Arb Comm.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 6th July 2009, 2:37pm) *

Aren't you supposed to be retired, Thatcher?

Sadly, no. I took a long mostly-break, but Arbcom asked me to serve on the Audit Subcommittee pending elections, and since I kind of invented it, I felt I had a responsibility to try and get it off on the right foot. I intend to step down once elections are held, I haven't decided what I will do after that.
MBisanz
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 6th July 2009, 3:40pm) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Mon 6th July 2009, 11:10am) *
He's retiring from Wikipedia, though, not just Arb Comm.

{{retired}} you say?
Kato
Coren showed poor judgement, in my view.

He showed poor judgement in his answers during the arbitration election questions phase.

And he showed poor judgement by putting himself forward as an arbitrator (effectively a public position), knowing full well he had an internet past that could easily be used against him (and Wikipedia) by an inquisitive media already looking to expose senior Wikipedians.

I hope Coren moves on from Wikipedia and enjoys a happy future.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Mon 6th July 2009, 2:43pm) *
Around these parts, you need to link using an actual URL.
Apathetic
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 6th July 2009, 1:46pm) *

oops, cut and paste botching. OT: how do people do the userlinks?
LaraLove
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Mon 6th July 2009, 1:51pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 6th July 2009, 1:46pm) *

oops, cut and paste botching. OT: how do people do the userlinks?

[ wp ] [ /wp ] and [ wpuser ] [ /wpuser ]

Without spaces, of course.
gadfly
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 6th July 2009, 4:05pm) *

Coren showed poor judgement, in my view.

He showed poor judgement in his answers during the arbitration election questions phase.

And he showed poor judgement by putting himself forward as an arbitrator (effectively a public position), knowing full well he had an internet past that could easily be used against him (and Wikipedia) by an inquisitive media already looking to expose senior Wikipedians.

There was also the disgraceful matter of him continuing to take part in arbitration concerning the actions of Aitias when he had been deeply concerned in one of the scandals regarding Aitias' actions. That was also poor judgment on his part, and also on the parts of the other arbitrators who were either not doing their jobs properly (and hence did not know about his involvement), or else thought it not worthy of comment.
thekohser
I'd guess he took another look at how Sam Blacketer got his real name scattered across the real-world media, and he decided he didn't relish the same for himself.
taiwopanfob
To the best of my knowledge, there is no policy that even encourages resigning arbs to give up checkuser and oversight.

There should be. Being on ArbCom should mean prompt removal of these privileges as a matter of course. The real-life analogy should be obvious: the job description of judges does not include issuing tickets, arresting people or carrying guns.

Only after an illustrious career on the committee said privs can be restored in some magnificent ceremony of pure light.

Or perhaps they can just re-apply for the bit(s), letting their good deeds and selfless service do the talking.
gadfly
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Tue 7th July 2009, 4:30am) *

To the best of my knowledge, there is no policy that even encourages resigning arbs to give up checkuser and oversight.

There should be. Being on ArbCom should mean prompt removal of these privileges as a matter of course. The real-life analogy should be obvious: the job description of judges does not include issuing tickets, arresting people or carrying guns.

Absolutely.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Mon 6th July 2009, 8:30pm) *

I believe the ArbCom is more styled after the Judge Dredd form of justice.

Nerd
Unfortunately, most are of the ludicrous mindset that adminship/checkusership/whatevership is for life unless the person does something very, very, very bad. Checkuser/oversight is granted by arbcom and only arbcom can remove it. Why would they want to remove privs from themselves, or one of their own?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Mon 6th July 2009, 11:24pm) *

I believe the ArbCom is more styled after the Judge Dredd form of justice.

Cognitive dissonance is when somebody nicknamed Cool Hand Luke has to change his tagline to "I am de rrrraaahhhh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.