Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akahele - Conflicted boards
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
thekohser
Akahele - Conflicted boards

by Gregory Kohs

Just a short blurb this week, as the Akahele directors are quite busy with summer activities.

It seems fairly obvious that one man cannot and should not try to both serve the fiduciary interests and protect the corporate missions of two different companies that compete against each other in the same marketplace. Eric Schmidt got it. Will Jimmy Wales ever get it?
Kato
This is an example of Wikipedia's strange attitude to serious matters. It seems obvious that Schmidt would have to resign from Apple. Just as it seems obvious that Wales would distance himself WP or Wikia.

I had a debate here once with Newyorkbrad where I discussed how Wikipedia has no culture of resignations for the greater interest. Brad didn't seem to agree that these kinds of acts were necessary. But the Real World always tells a different story.

Moulton
Jimbo and his minions don't seem to have a functional concept of conflict of interest.
emesee
the last three paragraphs were almost just perhaps barely almost bordering on barely almost half way decent;; the first three were too long and boring. thumbsdown.gif

!!!!
Emperor
Just to spell out one conflict of interest:

User-generated content = Money

Content is shunted from Wikipedia to Wikia by "deletionists" who maintain that certain topics are unsuitable for Wikipedia, but ok on Wikia.

Both organizations are controlled by Jimmy Wales, who is paid by both but stands to make more money from Wikia if it takes off. Wikia is for-profit whereas Wikipedia is not.

Moving content from Wikipedia to Wikia hurts Wikipedia, but helps Jimmy Wales.

Another conflict -
Having thousands of links to Wikia within Wikipedia, but preventing the inclusion of links to Wikia's competitors.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 5th August 2009, 3:29pm) *
Both organizations are controlled by Jimmy Wales, who is paid by both
Is he? For what?
Emperor
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 5th August 2009, 2:35pm) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 5th August 2009, 3:29pm) *
Both organizations are controlled by Jimmy Wales, who is paid by both
Is he? For what?

Good point, I'm not sure the Wikimedia Foundation pays him directly. Greg understands the actual money flows much better than any of us.

More on the salary question. No idea if this is reliable or not.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 5th August 2009, 4:04pm) *
Good point, I'm not sure the Wikimedia Foundation pays him directly.
It doesn't; you're talking out of your ass.

It isn't, which is just shocking when I look at the all star cast in the article history.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 5th August 2009, 12:47pm) *

How about indirectly? If you can go out to a $2000 meal (okay they refuse to pay $1300 of it) and get your trainfare paid for to visit the Russian hookers, then that's money that doesn't have to come out of your pocket. An expense credit card can be a scary thing (which is why my own company uses countersigned checks-- every one goes through the COO except in emergencies when there's a multiperson backup). They finally removed Jimbo's card. But was that Wikia that did that, or WMF?

I'm fairly certain that WMF COO Carolyn Doran used her corporate expense card to pay bail to get her out of jail after the DUI arrest on a weekend. And paid it back immediately, but the record was there.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 5th August 2009, 5:10pm) *
They finally removed Jimbo's card. But was that Wikia that did that, or WMF?
The WMF.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 5th August 2009, 1:44pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 5th August 2009, 5:10pm) *
They finally removed Jimbo's card. But was that Wikia that did that, or WMF?
The WMF.

Well, then. hrmph.gif
Emperor
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 5th August 2009, 3:47pm) *

It isn't, which is just shocking when I look at the all star cast in the article history.

Are you angry about something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.