Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fundraising Guy on Y!A
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
thekohser
This is Fundraising Guy on Yahoo! Answers.

I had an e-mail exchange with Fundraising Guy, talking about the particulars of Wikimedia Foundation finances. Essentially, I asked him why the WMF needs at least $6 million more than the approximately $1.2 million it would take to operate the servers and provide the bandwidth needed to support the database across the site's visitors, especially when you consider that 99.5% of the database has been constructed and is edited by non-paid volunteers.

I have to share his response to me. It is mind-boggling.

It is not the editing of the directory that is expensive. It is the auditing...

I read an article the other day that said that there is so much content that something like 55% of it has not been audited or read by consumers.

Imaging trying to audit that volume of information. Same for Craig's list - just to much info...

How do people like this find their way onto the Internet? It's AOL's fault, isn't it?
Sarcasticidealist
I'm confused - what's he have to do with the WMF? His comments are completely removed from reality one way or another, of course, but I think I'm missing the context that led to you having an e-mail exchange with him on this subject.
One
I've seen Yahoo Answers much worse than this selected as "best answer."
The Joy
QUOTE(One @ Sun 13th December 2009, 11:01pm) *

I've seen Yahoo Answers much worse than this selected as "best answer."

It is particularly annoying when the answerer responds "Gee, I don't know. Blah blah blah.."

My next question would be "But if you didn't know the answer, why on earth did you even respond?"

I assume their answer would be "I don't know!" angry.gif
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 14th December 2009, 12:24am) *
My next question would be "But if you didn't know the answeranything about the subject, why on earth did you even respondedit its Wikipedia article?"

thekohser
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sun 13th December 2009, 9:11pm) *

I'm confused - what's he have to do with the WMF? His comments are completely removed from reality one way or another, of course, but I think I'm missing the context that led to you having an e-mail exchange with him on this subject.

I initiated an e-mail to him after I read his answer here:

Wikipedia is a non-profit resource that is helping millions of people to research and provide quality content. Like a School, Church or Non-Profit it takes a staggering amount of resources to accomplish those types of tasks.

There is a chance that many of their corporate supporters have pulled back the reigns a bit because of the economy and they are trying to fill the gaps by fund raising.

The good news is that they are willing to do the work first and to make it such a great resource for everyone to use and that they are fund-raising to offset some of the expenses like Public Broadcast Radio/TV does to operate.

Support the resources that you like to use and they will be around forever. Don't and they will disappear like so many businesses do in tough times overnight.

Chris Manning, CEO
www.CommunityFundraisingBooks.com

I became afraid for Chris, and so I wrote to him. And that's how I ended up publishing here his correspondence to me.
Somey
It is not the editing of the directory that is expensive. It is the auditing... I read an article the other day that said that there is so much content that something like 55% of it has not been audited...

Maybe he's a Scientologist, and he's actually referring to 55 percent of the users not being E-metered yet for Operating Thetans...? ermm.gif
EricBarbour
When you donate to Wikipedia, does Jimmy Wales get the money?

And the answer, by some old fart named Bauder:

Wikipedia is owned by a non-profit corporation, the Mediawiki Foundation. It gets the money. Jimmy Wales continues to play a substantial role in the Mediawiki Foundation, but is not entitled to funds.
laugh.gif um, I think that should be "Wikimedia Foundation".....

Oh wait! This one's even better!

So much for Yahoo Answers.

(Nihiltres, you suck.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.