Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia Censors Israel War News Site
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media > Highlighted for Posterity
Google News

Wikipedia Censors Israel War News Site
Israel News Agency, Israel - 3 hours ago
Jerusalem----July 22.....Wikipedia, which spams itself as "the encyclopedia that anyone can edit," has again censored the Israel Government Press Office ...
Poetlister

One such sockpuppet of Danny Wool is an anonymous user named "Slimvirgin" who consistently votes as a rubber stamp of Danny Wool.

SV is a sockpuppet? ohmy.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Mon 31st July 2006, 4:48am) *

SV is a sockpuppet? ohmy.gif

Not only that -- she's desperately in need of some serious darning. At this rate, she'll never get her own reality show on the Independent Film Channel...
guy
Never mind SlimVirgin; this is a serious issue. At a time when Israel, a country with which the USA has friendly relations, is in very nearly a state of war, Wikipedia has taken sides by deleting an article about the Israel News Agency. Isn't that a fairly spectacular breach of NPOV?
Somey
QUOTE(guy @ Mon 31st July 2006, 10:08am) *

Never mind SlimVirgin; this is a serious issue. At a time when Israel, a country with which the USA has friendly relations, is in very nearly a state of war, Wikipedia has taken sides by deleting an article about the Israel News Agency. Isn't that a fairly spectacular breach of NPOV?

Maybe, though I wouldn't call it "spectacular." One could just as easily argue that Wikipedia is too US-centric (it is, after all the World Wide Web), and that there isn't enough representation of pro-Lebanese or pro-Palestinian news-gathering entities, though that could easily be simply because there are fewer of them to begin with.

Let's be honest here, though - that article was deleted because Danny & Co. don't like Joel Leyden, and it's pretty clear now that Joel Leyden doesn't like them either. I haven't (desperately) dug into this conflict much, other than to read what's in the last AfD review, but whatever he did to upset them, it worked.

In the real world, conflicts like this would be legally resolvable with cease-and-desist orders, gag orders, and if necessary, what might be called "censorship." But one of the inherent flaws of Wikipedia is that what would normally be private, internal discussion and negotiation gets written down for all the world to see, and nobody dares get rid of it, even to solve problems - because that would "hurt the feelings" of the people who wrote all that private, internal discussion. It would "censor" them, and impinge on their God-given right to express themselves in whatever obscene or insulting way they see fit. Ooh, poor them!

So I guess personally, I don't see this as having much to do with politics, but if Joel and his agency manage to get the global media to believe that, then more power to him. After all, it's a much more understandable interpretation of events than any attempt to explain the inner workings of the "hive mind" is likely to be!
Poetlister
I think the point is that the Wikipedia establishment have chosen a singularly inappropriate time to seek to censor just one side in an extremely violent and dangerous situation.

Still, at least this will allow us to settle the question of whether SlimVirgin is really motivated by a strong pro-Israel or pro-Jewish bias (and Jayjg for that matter).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.