Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hillgentleman can't be "trust"ed
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy
thekohser
Crazy conversation going on here.

I think Hillgentleman is off his rocker, but I'll leave it to the experts of WR to have the final say.

Boards

Hello Hillgentleman,

I have undone your edits to Public speakers. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but foundations do have boards. A trustee is something else. Not all foundations are or have trusts, and not all board members will be trustees. Best regards, Guido den Broeder 10:12, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

----- in wikimedia foundation the board is made of trustees. however i have caught a trustee (i think it was either mike godwin or some other chair) calling themselves "the board of directors" and my comment "not wikimedia, inc" comes from that instance. i shall undo your edit. best, Hillgentleman 10:44, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

---------- A board consists of board members. Some are trustees, some are not, especially on the local chapters - in some countries, the very notion of 'trustee' doesn't even exist. Please note that these descriptions are supplied by the speakers themselves, who are well aware of their position. If you think them wrong anyway, suggest that on the talk page, or better contact them personally, rather than make changes yourself. I'd appreciate it if you would undo your own re-revert so that the both of us won't be blocked from editing. Guido den Broeder 11:12, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

---------------- It actually is "Wikimedia, Inc." The Wikimedia Foundation is an incorporated organization called "Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.", see the bylaws. Also, Mike Godwin has never been a board member, he's the Foundation's staff lawyer. Cbrown1023 talk 14:41, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

Jon Awbrey
See Trustee

Jon tongue.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 19th May 2010, 1:04pm) *

Crazy conversation going on here.

I think Hillgentleman is off his rocker, but I'll leave it to the experts of WR to have the final say.

Boards

Hello Hillgentleman,

I have undone your edits to Public speakers. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but foundations do have boards. A trustee is something else. Not all foundations are or have trusts, and not all board members will be trustees. Best regards, Guido den Broeder 10:12, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

----- in wikimedia foundation the board is made of trustees. however i have caught a trustee (i think it was either mike godwin or some other chair) calling themselves "the board of directors" and my comment "not wikimedia, inc" comes from that instance. i shall undo your edit. best, Hillgentleman 10:44, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

---------- A board consists of board members. Some are trustees, some are not, especially on the local chapters - in some countries, the very notion of 'trustee' doesn't even exist. Please note that these descriptions are supplied by the speakers themselves, who are well aware of their position. If you think them wrong anyway, suggest that on the talk page, or better contact them personally, rather than make changes yourself. I'd appreciate it if you would undo your own re-revert so that the both of us won't be blocked from editing. Guido den Broeder 11:12, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

---------------- It actually is "Wikimedia, Inc." The Wikimedia Foundation is an incorporated organization called "Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.", see the bylaws. Also, Mike Godwin has never been a board member, he's the Foundation's staff lawyer. Cbrown1023 talk 14:41, 18 May 2010 (UTC)

What are they on about "Wikimedia, Inc?" Wikimedia is some entity owned by WMF but I'm uncertain what it does that is separate from WMF. Maybe it handles the software development although I think that is MediaWiki. Are they saying it has a board of directors because of the lack of "foundation" in its name while WMF has trustees? AFAIK non-profits use the terms "board of directors" and "board of trustees" interchangeably without regard to having a trust or endowment. Once they elect a term to use they should stick to it but it is of no importance. Not the kind of thing to win points for correcting someone.
thekohser
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 19th May 2010, 3:29pm) *

AFAIK non-profits use the terms "board of directors" and "board of trustees" interchangeably without regard to having a trust or endowment. Once they elect a term to use they should stick to it but it is of no importance. Not the kind of thing to win points for correcting someone.

Well stated. Bingo.
Guido den Broeder
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 19th May 2010, 9:28pm) *

See Trustee

Jon tongue.gif

Hey! Wikipedia is not a reliable source! biggrin.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Wed 19th May 2010, 6:29pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 19th May 2010, 9:28pm) *

See Trustee

Jon tongue.gif

Hey! Wikipedia is not a reliable source! biggrin.gif

Under this system, designated inmates were used by staff to control and administer physical punishment to other inmates according to a strict prison-determined inmate hierarchy of power.

Even a slopped crock can spill on itself every now and again.

Jon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.