Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xeno 2 - Wikipedia 0
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
A Horse With No Name
Here he goes again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...cratship/Xeno_2

I really hope Little Fuzzy Head makes it this time! smile.gif
Ottava
Even though this may be a kiss of death, good luck Xeno. You were always a doll. : )
ulsterman
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 28th May 2010, 2:09pm) *

Here he goes again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...cratship/Xeno_2

Looks very promising so far - 66/5/0. I'm sure most people here, whatever our differences, can agree on wishing him well. Oh dear, that will hole him below the water line!
EricBarbour
Nice---he even gets a Pedro/Cirt pile-on and buttnozzle session.

Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment and received various sanctions, and then returned under his now-current username as a reformed character. Issues a year in the past are exactly that: in the past. If they were recent issues I'd agree with Cirt, but as it is, I don't.—S Marshall T/C 21:21, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

@User:S Marshall, I had never received "various sanctions"; I had been blocked 3 years ago for edit-warring. The issue with Xeno is a possible responsibility of promoting others to administrator; past history of questionable promotions of users to WP:ROLLBACK is indeed relevant and merits examination. -- Cirt (talk) 21:30, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

S Marshall, whilst I appreciate you might view this as bad blood from me, given your recent RFA, I assure you it is not. Please do not poison the well with comments like Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment . Pedro : Chat 21:32, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Thank you, Pedro, much appreciated. -- Cirt (talk) 21:34, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

And damn both of you to hell.
Killiondude
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 28th May 2010, 2:55pm) *
Please do not poison the well with comments like Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment . Pedro : Chat 21:32, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Lawl.
Malleus

It's a nothing job anyway, so why not?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Malleus @ Sat 29th May 2010, 1:16am) *

It's a nothing job anyway, so why not?

Yet for some reason it is also the most difficult to obtain, even though the level of abuse (both potential and actual) is lower than that of any other "advanced user-right".
everyking
I pledge to vote for any RfB candidate who can convincingly explain why the project would benefit from the addition of another bureaucrat.

I don't anticipate that I'll ever have to honor that pledge.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 29th May 2010, 5:28am) *

I pledge to vote for any RfB candidate who can convincingly explain why the project would benefit from the addition of another bureaucrat.

Why don't you go down to the auto mechanics' shop and show them what a real wreck looks like? hrmph.gif

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 29th May 2010, 1:15am) *

Yet for some reason it is also the most difficult to obtain, even though the level of abuse (both potential and actual) is lower than that of any other "advanced user-right".

Get a good seat, mama -- Julian Colton should be trying again pretty soon, and that should be a fun show. smile.gif

@User:S Marshall, I had never received "various sanctions"; I had been blocked 3 years ago for edit-warring. The issue with Xeno is a possible responsibility of promoting others to administrator; past history of questionable promotions of users to WP:ROLLBACK is indeed relevant and merits examination. -- Cirt (talk) 21:30, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Wasn't Cirt (formerly Smee) "blocked" seven times before his Durova-approved reincarnation? ermm.gif
ulsterman
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 29th May 2010, 10:28am) *

I don't anticipate that I'll ever have to honor that pledge.

There are indeed plenty of bureaucrats, probably more than enough. Thus if you say "Why promote any admin taken at random?" I'd find it hard to disagree. But what if you can say "This admin is a really outstanding character, and if there were more admins like him, WP would be a better place"? Wouldn't giving such an admin more power and prestige serve to improve things, however slightly?
Moulton
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sat 29th May 2010, 8:59am) *
But what if you can say "This admin is a really outstanding character, and if there were more admins like him, WP would be a better place"? Wouldn't giving such an admin more power and prestige serve to improve things, however slightly?

You are not doing such a person a favor. Rather you are sending him or her into the Lion's Den.

Anyone with high levels of personal integrity and ethics will soon become conflicted as they become increasingly aware of the rampant and systemic corruption within the Wikisphere. This creates an intractable dilemma. Either they turn a blind eye to it, or they confront it. If they confront it, they will quickly be drummed out of the site, leaving them chagrined at best and bitter at worst.

If you disbelieve me, ask the handful of people who stood up for ethics and integrity, and were drummed out of the system. I can supply you a few names if you don't already know who they are.
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 29th May 2010, 12:00pm) *

Wasn't Cirt (formerly Smee) "blocked" seven times before his Durova-approved reincarnation? ermm.gif

Yep, at least seven times as Smee and even more as Smeegova
angry.gif
Theanima
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 29th May 2010, 6:02pm) *

angry.gif

This is clearly utter rubbish, as can be seen here and here...
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Theanima @ Sat 29th May 2010, 5:44pm) *

well, if you spell it right three and four do make seven, so apparently horse was right [something about stopped clocks and traffic advisories].
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 29th May 2010, 6:02pm) *

angry.gif

Ok 3 as Smee. And speaking of rubbish that second link doesn't even come up.
Friend of Smee are we?
ulsterman
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 29th May 2010, 2:31pm) *

Anyone with high levels of personal integrity and ethics will soon become conflicted as they become increasingly aware of the rampant and systemic corruption within the Wikisphere. This creates an intractable dilemma. Either they turn a blind eye to it, or they confront it. If they confront it, they will quickly be drummed out of the site, leaving them chagrined at best and bitter at worst.

You are of course right. But the higher someone's status, the more they can get away with fixing. Ask Lar and Jayvdb for example, neither of whom has been completely drummed out.
Theanima
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 29th May 2010, 7:21pm) *

well, if you spell it right three and four do make seven, so apparently horse was right [something about stopped clocks and traffic advisories].

RDH spelled it wrong, not me.
ulsterman

For those who can't bear to look at the RfB page, the score is now 94/7/1. Thus only seven opposers so far. As the seven include Spartaz and Cirt, I think we can take it that overwhelmingly the voice of sanity is pointing in one direction.

[102/7/1 at 21:46 GMT]
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 30th May 2010, 5:51am) *

For those who can't bear to look at the RfB page, the score is now 94/7/1. Thus only seven opposers so far. As the seven include Spartaz and Cirt, I think we can take it that overwhelmingly the voice of sanity is pointing in one direction.

I just checked at 3:20pm EDT and the tally is 116/9/1 -- perennial sourpuss Wisdom89 joined the Oppose camp, and a bunch of people I never of (RexxS, AlphaQuadrant, wiooww, Trutheeper88, DollyD) showed up to lend their support.

It appears this is a shoo-in for our man. Which raises the obvious question: what's next for Xeno? Maybe a spot on Arbcom -- though he might be an odd-man-out there, considering he's not a plagiarist, a liar or grotesquely overweight. Or maybe a spot on the WMF Board? Either way, he seems to have a great future ahead of him! smile.gif
Zoloft
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 31st May 2010, 7:23pm) *

I just checked at 3:20pm EDT and the tally is 116/9/1 -- perennial sourpuss Wisdom89 joined the Oppose camp, and a bunch of people I never of (RexxS, AlphaQuadrant, wiooww, Trutheeper88, DollyD) showed up to lend their support.

It appears this is a shoo-in for our man. Which raises the obvious question: what's next for Xeno? Maybe a spot on Arbcom -- though he might be an odd-man-out there, considering he's not a plagiarist, a liar or grotesquely overweight. Or maybe a spot on the WMF Board? Either way, he seems to have a great future ahead of him! smile.gif

I thought 'crat was just a few minor tasks like closing RfAs for which a certain level of trust was required? Is it really a springboard to glory? biggrin.gif

Anyway, Xeno's a guy who's done a lot of work, screwed up a couple of times and gone back to fix it, and seems to be less delusional than most, so I voted Aye.
ulsterman
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Mon 31st May 2010, 9:49pm) *

I thought 'crat was just a few minor tasks like closing RfAs for which a certain level of trust was required? Is it really a springboard to glory? biggrin.gif

Yes it is. The point is "a certain level of trust". We all know all too many admins who were well regarded until they became admins and showed their true colours or power went to their head. By definition, a bureaucrat is someone who has been an admin for a while and still enjoys the overwhelming endorsement of the community (or at least those who bother to vote). That gives bureaucrats an aura of status far beyond their actual powers.
Theanima

I thought 'crat was just a few minor tasks like closing RfAs...

Yes, it is, but unfortunately most users aren't aware of this fact and aren't willing to educate themselves. Apparently you need 90% approval to become one - compared with 70% to get checkuser to see people's IP addresses. It's a ridiculously blown out of proportion position, which could very easily be restructured to be part of an admin "package".
HRIP7
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Mon 31st May 2010, 10:23pm) *

Yes it is. The point is "a certain level of trust". We all know all too many admins who were well regarded until they became admins and showed their true colours or power went to their head. By definition, a bureaucrat is someone who has been an admin for a while and still enjoys the overwhelming endorsement of the community (or at least those who bother to vote). That gives bureaucrats an aura of status far beyond their actual powers.

I seem to remember that a 12-year-old became a bureaucrat a few years ago.
ulsterman
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Mon 31st May 2010, 11:35pm) *

I don't know if most people were aware at the time of said editor's age. If they were, he probably wouldn't have become an admin in the first place. (I firmly believe that all admins should have to identify to WMF and prove they're over 18, just like checkusers, but I haven't been able to drum up much support for that.) But I never said anything about whether the community endorsement was justified, just that it exists.

And on the whole, I think most people would agree that the bureaucrats are rarely if ever the admins that cause the most problems.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Mon 31st May 2010, 9:23pm) *

By definition, a bureaucrat is someone who has been an admin for a while and still enjoys the overwhelming endorsement of the community (or at least those who bother to vote). That gives bureaucrats an aura of status far beyond their actual powers.

Eh, that's spoken like someone who seeks positions of power on various projects and accounts just for the fun of it (omg that aura). fear.gif

This "beyond one's actual powers" bullshit really should be deconstructed. Any tasks not enumerated on this page belong to whatever users volunteer to perform them. Some people have developed theories more restrictive in terms of who should (exclusively) be in charge of what, but their starry-eyed essays do not make it so.

Moreover they haven't figured out a self-contained way to address the issue of abuse. All they do is take away user-rights not intimately related to the task. Or when that would be too harsh they just let it go.

Or maybe they say the 3-revert rule applies, then make it 0RR for people outside their little group, unless they agree with you, this time only, etc.

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Tue 1st June 2010, 11:27am) *

And on the whole, I think most people would agree that the bureaucrats are rarely if ever the admins that cause the most problems.

Except on wikiquote. laugh.gif
HRIP7
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Tue 1st June 2010, 12:27pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Mon 31st May 2010, 11:35pm) *

I don't know if most people were aware at the time of said editor's age. If they were, he probably wouldn't have become an admin in the first place. (I firmly believe that all admins should have to identify to WMF and prove they're over 18, just like checkusers, but I haven't been able to drum up much support for that.) But I never said anything about whether the community endorsement was justified, just that it exists.

Nice idea, but the 11- to 17-year-olds will vote you down on that one. laugh.gif

It would be interesting to see a histogram of Wikipedia admins' RL ages.
EricBarbour

angry.gif biggrin.gif "Voice of sanity"???

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 31st May 2010, 7:23pm) *
*cough* sock *cough*

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 2nd June 2010, 5:31pm) *
It would be interesting to see a histogram of Wikipedia admins' RL ages.
It will probably peak around college age, 18-22 or thereabouts. As has been said before, gamer-nerd college boys are primo WP cannon-fodder.....they have free unlimited broadband, big egos, and (apparently) lots of time to kill.
A Horse With No Name
Well, we have bad manners, don't we? No one here congratulated our man on his new tools.

If there is a Xeno in the house -- congrats! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Apathetic
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 7th June 2010, 4:31pm) *

Well, we have bad manners, don't we? No one here congratulated our man on his new tools.

If there is a Xeno in the house -- congrats! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks =)

Did you grace it with your presence? =]
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 8th June 2010, 9:05am) *

Thanks =)

Now, now...I'm not the type to kiss and tell. evilgrin.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 8th June 2010, 9:56am) *
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 8th June 2010, 9:05am) *
Thanks =)

Now, now...I'm not the type to kiss and tell. evilgrin.gif

Horsey doesn't need to tell. The remnants of slobber can be seen from a mile away. ermm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.