Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: He's baaaack
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Jayjg
EricBarbour
And here we are again! Fighting with people over Jewish-related articles...........

And he was doing so well. Mommy gotta spanky.
papaya
.... and obsessing endlessly over naming conventions for American cites and towns. He seems to have no clue as to how big the USA is (hint: Australia has less population than Texas; the UK has about the population of California and Texas combined) or that we have place names a little more common than Woolgangaloonwibangzoom. I want to get in there and "just shut up, adopt the AP convention, and go away," but there's no point; no sensible decision can be made to stick without arguing at length from time to time.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(papaya @ Sat 5th June 2010, 1:05pm) *

.... and obsessing endlessly over naming conventions for American cites and towns. He seems to have no clue as to how big the USA is (hint: Australia has less population than Texas; the UK has about the population of California and Texas combined) or that we have place names a little more common than Woolgangaloonwibangzoom. I want to get in there and "just shut up, adopt the AP convention, and go away," but there's no point; no sensible decision can be made to stick without arguing at length from time to time.

The ideal solution would be to move all [[City, State]] to [[City]] in if and when [[City]] is currently defensible as a "primary topic" redirect to [[City, State]] under "normal" standards of uniqueness/ubiquity.

If the name is truly one-of-a-kind, being too small or unfamiliar should not be construed by itself as a reason to keep the state-name in the city's title. Take some villages in Alaska, for example.

[[Foo County, State]] also is needlessly pedantic when only one such county exists. And [[Foo Parish, Louisiana]] is just stupid because it could not be in any other state. Take a look at how the German Wikipedia does it some time.

Granted when names do collide they use parentheses rather than commas, which might not be a bad idea either.

But to delete the more specific redirect is taking things too far I think.
One
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 5th June 2010, 1:33pm) *

Granted when names do collide they use parentheses rather than commas, which might not be a bad idea either.

[Place], [Jurisdiction] is an Americanism, as has been discussed in a previous thread. I think parentheses might be sensible when writing about cities on other continents, but using parentheses for U.S. States would be ludicrous.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(One @ Sat 5th June 2010, 1:51pm) *

[Place], [Jurisdiction] is an Americanism, as has been discussed in a previous thread. I think parentheses might be sensible when writing about cities on other continents, but using parentheses for U.S. States would be ludicrous.

Yeah, when you get into things like neighborhoods within a city or duplicate townships within a state (requiring the county name).

Shrug. Redirects are cheap.
BelovedFox
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 5th June 2010, 2:27pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Sat 5th June 2010, 1:51pm) *

Yeah, when you get into things like neighborhoods within a city or duplicate townships within a state (requiring the county name).

Shrug. Redirects are cheap.

I think then that we all see that even in the context of wiki-business, this is a pretty tiny molehill that a few people care too much about. tongue.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(papaya @ Sat 5th June 2010, 6:05am) *

There has been some suggestion from his "interests" that Jayjg, if a single person, is probably Canadian-- probably some appartment-dweller in urban Montreal. So yes, he has no clue as to how large the US is. Sure, Canada is large also, but most of the inhabitants there, as with Australia, live in only a tiny portion of the country (in Canada's case, a little strip bounding the US), so populated Canada is effectively much smaller.

The other possiblity is that Jayjg has spent most or all of his adult life in Israel, and thus really, really has no clue as to how big things are in the Americas.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 31st May 2010, 11:31pm) *

And here we are again! Fighting with people over Jewish-related articles...........

And he was doing so well. Mommy gotta spanky.

That liink does not work for me, but only puts me on the lastest ANI page, where I don't see Jayjg.

But yeah, since he was topic-banned I've seen him wandering all over the board, sometimes into my own areas of interest, being his usually literal and Aspie-ish self, except it's not about Jews or Israel. All of which has made me sorry that he's not confined to editing about Jews and Israel. Be careful what you wish for. unhappy.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 5th June 2010, 12:44pm) *
That link does not work for me, but only puts me on the lastest ANI page, where I don't see Jayjg.

But yeah, since he was topic-banned I've seen him wandering all over the board, sometimes into my own areas of interest, being his usually literal and Aspie-ish self, except it's not about Jews or Israel. All of which has made me sorry that he's not confined to editing about Jews and Israel. Be careful what you wish for. unhappy.gif

It has been archived, here is the corrected link.
He's back to the same old crap.
I would like an administrator to block User:Jayjg from editing the article Criticism of Judaism for a month or two, until we can get the article into a decent condition. He has been engaging in disruptive behavior, in violation of WP:Disruptive editing. Details of his behavior can be found at the Talk page at Talk:Criticism of Judaism.
ulsterman
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 5th June 2010, 2:33pm) *

The ideal solution would be to move all [[City, State]] to [[City]] in if and when [[City]] is currently defensible as a "primary topic" redirect to [[City, State]] under "normal" standards of uniqueness/ubiquity.

The trouble is that "normal" standards of uniqueness/ubiquity is a very POV concept. There are many American cities named after British, Irish or European ones. No doubt the average American WP editor, especially if he lived near one of these American cities, would regard that as the primary bearer of the name whereas an editor living near the original might disagree.

Birmingham is an excellent example; I remember being baffled by an American when he talked about the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 6th June 2010, 9:15am) *
Birmingham is an excellent example; I remember being baffled by an American when he talked about the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement.

What ... was Ronnie Van Zant really a B-r-u-m-m-i-e ... I thought that was Ozzy Osbourne?
Free-bird ... Free-bird ... !!!
(Oh ... damn ... sometime trigger regress back to some other life for a moment).
In Birmingham they love the governor ... Boo-boo-boo
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth

Damn ... see dem white S'th'rn Belles show 'em how to grind hips way before dancehall queens did (around 2.20 - 2.50 ... if you must).
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Sun 6th June 2010, 2:31am) *
Damn ... see dem white S'th'rn belles show 'em how to grind hips way before dancehall queens did (around 2.20 - 2.50 ... if you must).

Heh heh......I suspect that Jayjg don't dance......
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 6th June 2010, 9:15am) *

The trouble is that "normal" standards of uniqueness/ubiquity is a very POV concept. There are many American cities named after British, Irish or European ones. No doubt the average American WP editor, especially if he lived near one of these American cities, would regard that as the primary bearer of the name whereas an editor living near the original might disagree.

Not talking about the Birminghams and Portlands and Springfields, more like Fort Yukon, Gun Barrel City, Kalamazoo, etc. which one could not reasonably dispute.
Zoloft
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Sun 6th June 2010, 2:31am) *
Damn ... see dem white S'th'rn belles show 'em how to grind hips way before dancehall queens did (around 2.20 - 2.50 ... if you must).

Oh, I must.

The Lynyrd Skynyrd lead backup singer (the one on the right) strongly resembles a girlfriend from 1976-78.

*drifts back to the late Seventies for a moment*

Damn, Carter was a weenie. Ah, well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.