Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kenneth Dickson
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
HRIP7
Interesting AfD.

Views?
Ottava
Here are the sources:

* The Riverside Press-Enterprise (north of San Diego/next county)
* The Press-Enterprise (same as Riverside Press-Enterprise apparently)
* The Valley News (San Diego county)
* The San Diego Union-Tribune (San Diego)
* North County Times (north of San Diego/same county)
* East County Magazine (San Diego county)
* Emporia Gazette (Emporia, Kansas) - minor use and about father

This search provides no real new sources.

Now, I must say, San Diego county does have a population of 3,222,466. That is larger than some states. Now, the Riverside press is from Riverside County, with a population of 2,073,571.

That means 5.2 million people. Just with San Diego alone, it should be enough that the "local" papers are proof of notability. It is, according to Wikipedia: "the ninth largest city in the United States, second-largest city in California and 46th largest city in the Americas"

I did think this comment was stupid:
Minnowtaur is right: he is no more notable than "virtually every small-town alderman, every high school quarterback or point guard, every owner of a local business, every Rotary Club president."

Outside of fantasy land, not many people appear in the newspaper that often, especially small-town alderman. Furthermore, being notable among San Diego and a neighboring county would be far different than being a "small-town alderman".
ulsterman
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Sat 19th June 2010, 9:30pm) *

Interesting AfD.

Views?

It's perfectly obvious that he meets WP standards of notability. (He's had loads of coverage in non-trivial places.) Whether those standards make sense is another question, of course. Still, notable doesn't necessarily mean famous. There are plenty of worthy people who "deserve" (if that's the right word) a WP article who will never ever get onto "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" or whatever.
HRIP7
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 20th June 2010, 12:09pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Sat 19th June 2010, 9:30pm) *

Interesting AfD.

Views?

It's perfectly obvious that he meets WP standards of notability. (He's had loads of coverage in non-trivial places.) Whether those standards make sense is another question, of course. Still, notable doesn't necessarily mean famous. There are plenty of worthy people who "deserve" (if that's the right word) a WP article who will never ever get onto "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" or whatever.

Deleted by John Vandenberg, presumably per WP:MASK.
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th June 2010, 8:27am) *

Could not a similar argument be made for the recent 2010 Central Canada earthquake? Authored by someone who should know better, over-referenced, predominately local mainstream media sources whose coverage is little more than water-cooler babble writ large, intense wikification, etc?
ulsterman
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th June 2010, 9:27am) *

WP:MASK is a sensationally "good" policy. By "good" I mean that it succeeds in giving admins significantly greater power to use and (not that we'd ever accuse Mr Vandenberg of such a thing) abuse. In a nutshell, it says "even if an aticle passes every possible criteria of notability, WP:RS, etc. it can still be deleted if someone doesn't like it".
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Thu 24th June 2010, 8:17am) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th June 2010, 8:27am) *

Could not a similar argument be made for the recent 2010 Central Canada earthquake? Authored by someone who should know better, over-referenced, predominately local mainstream media sources whose coverage is little more than water-cooler babble writ large, intense wikification, etc?

To be frank (as opposed to being Frank, which is silly since we already have one - or One, in this case), WP:MASK could be used to delete about 98% of Wikipedia's content. Which, of course, would put the ARS out of business and leave the site with nothing except a bunch of teenage admins blocking naughty IPs.
HRIP7
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Thu 24th June 2010, 9:20pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th June 2010, 9:27am) *

WP:MASK is a sensationally "good" policy. By "good" I mean that it succeeds in giving admins significantly greater power to use and (not that we'd ever accuse Mr Vandenberg of such a thing) abuse. In a nutshell, it says "even if an aticle passes every possible criteria of notability, WP:RS, etc. it can still be deleted if someone doesn't like it".

WP:MASK is not policy, but an essay. Some essays like WP:COATRACK acquire broad support and an almost policy-like standing, but most others sink without a trace. Time will tell what will happen to this one; it is still quite young.

Personally I think WP:MASK has something useful to say, but yes, it is potentially a very e--l--a--s--t--i--c concept.
milowent
Ken Dickson was one of those cases where someone has been cited in the local press a ton of times but he's done nothing of importance. Even I could not bring myself to vote keep as a rabid inclusionist. The article was a case of extreme puffery, and I was surprised to learn that its flowery lead sprung into the existence at the very first edit of its creation by Cirt. E.g., The 2nd sentence of the lead was about how Mr. Dickson learned his virtues from his Dad or something like that. Why write it like that? I have no idea.

I tried to rewrite the lead so one could see why he might be notable instead of it being four paragraphs of baloney. That's when I realized there was nothing to write. Essentially the guy is/was a member of the local school board and for one term its chair, and then was a failed candidate in the Republican primary for the local California Senate district, I believe. (He lost the primary earlier this month.) Cirt, who edits at superhuman speeds, was reverting my work lightning fast without discussion outside the edit summary. So I made a quick edit summary that the lead "SUCKS BALLS" to get his goddamn attention. Of course then he complains and drags me to the BLP noticeboard to ask whether BLP applies to edit summaries. Cirt also believed that the article needed to have a large four paragraph introduction because that's what Feature Articles have, though I noted that some things should never be Featured because then the word Feature will mean nothing. Some wikipedia entries deserve to be two paragraphs.

Of course, Ken Dickson is the same AFD where Herostratus mouthed off about the guy's lack of notability, which directly led to his dramafest recall RFA now in progress.

I would not have objected to the article being kept, but it needed an extreme puffery makeover. No intention of bashing Cirt in my post, I have come to enjoy his bot like posts on talk pages, we just disagreed strongly on this.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(milowent @ Thu 24th June 2010, 7:00pm) *
I tried to rewrite the lead so one could see why he might be notable instead of it being four paragraphs of baloney. That's when I realized there was nothing to write. Essentially the guy is/was a member of the local school board and for one term its chair, and then was a failed candidate in the Republican primary for the local California Senate district, I believe. (He lost the primary earlier this month.) Cirt, who edits at superhuman speeds, was reverting my work lightning fast without discussion outside the edit summary. So I made a quick edit summary that the lead "SUCKS BALLS" to get his goddamn attention. Of course then he complains and drags me to the BLP noticeboard to ask whether BLP applies to edit summaries. Cirt also believed that the article needed to have a large four paragraph introduction because that's what Feature Articles have, though I noted that some things should never be Featured because then the word Feature will mean nothing. Some wikipedia entries deserve to be two paragraphs.

Of course, Ken Dickson is the same AFD where Herostratus mouthed off about the guy's lack of notability, which directly led to his dramafest recall RFA now in progress.

Perhaps I'm off-base, but seeing this makes me wonder if Cirt is being paid to write such crap BLPs.
Or is he in fact Ken Dickson himself, in real life? Or a friend or relative? Whatever, Cirt is still Cirt---
smug, mechanical, hyperactive, and far from being the best of WP's admin corps.

I'm still wondering if he's actually an AI program. "Sir....are you human?"
milowent
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 25th June 2010, 6:18am) *
Perhaps I'm off-base, but seeing this makes me wonder if Cirt is being paid to write such crap BLPs.

that idle thought occurred to me but i really have nothing to back up any such speculation.
Somey
QUOTE(milowent @ Fri 25th June 2010, 1:35am) *
that idle thought occurred to me but i really have nothing to back up any such speculation.

You could start here... This has been suggested before, and if it keeps up, we're going to have to give him his own subforum. (Or is User:Cirt female? We never did figure that one out, as I recall.)

I've actually defended Cirt to some extent in the past, but IMO the Dickson article was the most objectionable thing he (or she) ever did, putting aside the issue of whether or not Dickson himself wanted (or paid for?) the article to be written and posted. With that gone, I'd have to say that Cirt isn't really all that bad anymore, unless you're a Scientologist of course. (Though it's probably best not to go into too much detail on that score.)
Moulton
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 25th June 2010, 2:54am) *
It's probably best not to go into too much detail on that score.

Are you trying to earn a point by tempting me to write another song parody?
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 25th June 2010, 6:54am) *

I'd have to say that Cirt isn't really all that bad anymore ...

Depends on how you look at it. I think someone who has the skill to mask non-notable subjects and the social capital to usually get away with it, like present day Cirt is much more damaging to the project than a known POV warrior like Smee (former Cirt). The masking essay might as well have been written about Cirt, btw -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MASK.

Regarding Dickson specifically it should be noted that he ran in an election this June. Cirt started editing the page in the fall, probably shortly before or after he announced his candidacy. I highly doubt that Dickson is Cirt or that Cirt is simply a supporter of his. S/he has been beautifying (though not fluffing up ... yet) the entry for a Democratic congressional candidate of late -- Rob Miller of SC. I doubt that a Dickson supporter would also support Miller ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Miller_(S...ina_politician)

I almost forgot. Cirt is particularly good at advertising books. Often this is done within his/her POV areas, but check this recent gem out -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga:_Queen_of_Pop. Consider for a moment what types of subjects s/he puts this kind of meticulous editing into, outside of the Scientology/EST/cult area s/he clearly cares personally about. I guarantee you the articles you will find relate to people or a products that have something to gain from PR and not a general topic of interest.
NuclearWarfare
Hi there. Welcome to WR.

Who are you?
Jagärdu
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 25th June 2010, 12:59pm) *

Hi there. Welcome to WR.

Who are you?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a newly registered user of Wikipedia Review. In case you're wondering whether to use masculine or feminine pronouns I'm male. Do you have any comments on the discussion in the thread? I'd love to hear your take.
Zoloft
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 1:14pm) *

Hi there. Welcome to WR.

Who are you?

<snip>I'm a newly registered user of Wikipedia Review.</snip>

And apparently a paid-up lifetime member of the Tautology Club.
tongue.gif
Welcome.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 24th June 2010, 11:54pm) *

QUOTE(milowent @ Fri 25th June 2010, 1:35am) *

You could start here... This has been suggested before, and if it keeps up, we're going to have to give him his own subforum. (Or is User:Cirt female? We never did figure that one out, as I recall.)

Well, Smeeglova is definitely a feminized Russian form of Smee. Hard to imagine your average manly-man using it. It would be sort of like putting on a brassiere and high heels, for a farce. Damn it's hard to spell brassiere.
Somey
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 7:14am) *
Depends on how you look at it. I think someone who has the skill to mask non-notable subjects and the social capital to usually get away with it, like present day Cirt is much more damaging to the project than a known POV warrior like Smee (former Cirt). The masking essay might as well have been written about Cirt, btw -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MASK.

Well, I agree 100 percent, actually - but to me, "harmful to the project" is a good thing. As for WP:MASK, I applaud the fact that some of them are admitting that this goes on, but my personal view is that promoting products (particularly books, music, movies, etc.) on WP is largely harmless. The problems (IMO) occur when people like Cirt do things that might serve to lower "notability" standards for BLP's and articles about cause organizations, political entities, and to some extent commercial entities. If they ever implement an opt-out policy, I could easily see them lowering the BLP notability standards to include people like Dickson (who, presumably, wants the article about himself to be included), but not until then.

I guarantee you the articles you will find relate to people or a products that have something to gain from PR and not a general topic of interest.

What's frustrating is that this looks really obvious, but it's difficult to prove because the source of Cirt's (presumably contractual) paid-editing work isn't going to admit anything, and certainly Cirt won't either. In fact, if any of this is true, it leads me to believe that everyone involved in Cirt's promotional activities is female, including Cirt - if there were males involved, at least one of them would be bragging online about how they're getting away with it scot-free.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Fri 25th June 2010, 3:01pm) *

Hi there. Welcome to WR.

Who are you?

<snip>I'm a newly registered user of Wikipedia Review.</snip>

And apparently a paid-up lifetime member of the Tautology Club.
tongue.gif
Welcome.

The only club worth belonging to. Out of curiosity is it standard practice to be met with the "who are you" greeting here? Would be good to know when I encounter new users. wink.gif
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 25th June 2010, 6:42pm) *

In fact, if any of this is true, it leads me to believe that everyone involved in Cirt's promotional activities is female, including Cirt - if there were males involved, at least one of them would be bragging online about how they're getting away with it scot-free.

Ha. You're probably right. That's why I have problems with the idea that more than one person is behind the account, which I've thought on many occasions, but that would really increase the likelihood of someone letting it slip. If Cirt is actually getting paid to edit I actually think it's only a matter of time before it comes out. S/he has to get new clients somehow and the process can't be totally esoteric because then no one would know how to hire her/him. At some point someone who thinks its worth exposing would get access to that process I would think, but what do I know.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 7:44pm) *

The only club worth belonging to. Out of curiosity is it standard practice to be met with the "who are you" greeting here? Would be good to know when I encounter new users. wink.gif

Generally. That "WP user page - talk - check - contribs" link underneath most people's names is there for a reason; if you join a group that's one of the strongest critics of anonymous editing but refuse to say who you are, people start speculating. That's not to say you're obliged – plenty of people here have either never had a Wikipedia account or choose not to divulge it for fear of repercussions from Jimbo's goon-squad – but you have to expect someone* to come up with ludicrous speculation about your identity otherwise.

*well, by "somebody" I mean "Ottava"
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 2:44pm) *
Out of curiosity is it standard practice to be met with the "who are you" greeting here?

Nah, that's just NuclearWarfare being rude. Fortunately, everyone else on Wikipedia Review is very, very, very polite. wink.gif

Somey
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 1:55pm) *
If Cirt is actually getting paid to edit I actually think it's only a matter of time before it comes out. S/he has to get new clients somehow and the process can't be totally esoteric because then no one would know how to hire her/him. At some point someone who thinks its worth exposing would get access to that process I would think, but what do I know.

My guess would be that the source is an agent who's hired by various authors to get their work published, or else someone who works directly with such an agent. (Though in practical terms, it's more like the authors work for the agents these days.) If it were someone at an actual publishing company there would be too many people knowing about it, whereas agents have to be highly secretive about their contacts and methods anyway, just to stay in business.

In any event, the Everything Tastes Better With Bacon book and the Lady Gaga book were printed by two different publishers. And it also strikes me that some of Cirt's book-promotion articles are probably unpaid work samples, to be used in obtaining more (and better) contract jobs. Again, this is assuming that Cirt is being paid for these articles at all, which I fear will remain difficult (if not impossible) to prove.

Anyhoo, I fully expect to get an e-mail from Cirt within the next 2-3 days telling me these allegations are absurd, unfounded, etc., and that (s)he just does it for the heck of it, because (s)he enjoyed reading the books in question. So, I apologize in advance for stating these suspicions without hard evidence.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 25th June 2010, 7:07pm) *

... you have to expect someone* to come up with ludicrous speculation about your identity otherwise.

Sounds like fun.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 25th June 2010, 7:25pm) *
Anyhoo, I fully expect to get an e-mail from Cirt within the next 2-3 days telling me these allegations are absurd, unfounded, etc., and that (s)he just does it for the heck of it, because (s)he enjoyed reading the books in question. So, I apologize in advance for stating these suspicions without hard evidence.

Well prior to this discussion starting one S. Marshall did make the following comment during the Dickson AfD - "I wasn't sure the nomination was in good faith because certain comments on the Wikipedia Review led me to believe that there was an anti-Cirt campaign in progress." S. Marshall Nostradamus perhaps, though I wouldn't call the natural curiosity that is peeked by Cirt's odd editing patterns a campaign against him/her.
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Fri 25th June 2010, 7:44pm) *

It's pretty common, and will be trotted out occasionally when you're in disagreement over something completely unrelated. I wouldn't worry about it.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 25th June 2010, 12:11pm) *
Nah, that's just NuclearWarfare being rude. Fortunately, everyone else on Wikipedia Review is very, very, very polite. wink.gif

Yeah, Nuke really sucks. Just ignore him. biggrin.gif

I'm beginning to suspect that Cirt is Durova's sock. No, I can't offer any direct, provable link between the two accounts, other than a few general suspicions. Not that I give a rat-shit anyway. This is all pointless, Wikipedia is clearly a pile of damaged goods, and its overseers are a gang of fools.

Lise, dear, it's not that you're a bitch, and it's not that you're arrogant.
You simply don't have all that much talent, or even brains, to back it up.
HRIP7

Regarding Dickson specifically it should be noted that he ran in an election this June. Cirt started editing the page in the fall, probably shortly before or after he announced his candidacy.

Well, in that case the article lasted just about the right amount of time on Wikipedia -- from the start of Dickson's campaign to the election.

I highly doubt that Dickson is Cirt or that Cirt is simply a supporter of his. S/he has been beautifying (though not fluffing up ... yet) the entry for a Democratic congressional candidate of late -- Rob Miller of SC. I doubt that a Dickson supporter would also support Miller ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Miller_(S...ina_politician)

I almost forgot. Cirt is particularly good at advertising books. Often this is done within his/her POV areas, but check this recent gem out -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga:_Queen_of_Pop. Consider for a moment what types of subjects s/he puts this kind of meticulous editing into, outside of the Scientology/EST/cult area s/he clearly cares personally about. I guarantee you the articles you will find relate to people or a products that have something to gain from PR and not a general topic of interest.

For what it's worth, I recall that in the RfC on Paid Editing last year Cirt came down very strongly on the side of those opposed to any form of it.
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 25th June 2010, 3:08pm) *

I'm beginning to suspect that Cirt is Durova's sock. No, I can't offer any direct, provable link between the two accounts, other than a few general suspicions. Not that I give a rat-shit anyway. This is all pointless, Wikipedia is clearly a pile of damaged goods, and its overseers are a gang of fools.

Oh great, now I'm all nostalgic! I don't think you're alone in your speculation, though I have far less an informed opinion than yourself.

As of now, still no Durova edits at all since May 31. No "missing you"s, no talkpage entreaties to please come back, no nothing. It's so out of character I just can't help wondering about it - there was some apparent "vandalism" to her page a few days ago, but it was deleted before I saw what it was.

Something's up.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 25th June 2010, 3:28pm) *

Oh great, now I'm all nostalgic! I don't think you're alone in your speculation, though I have far less an informed opinion than yourself.

As of now, still no Durova edits at all since May 31. No "missing you"s, no talkpage entreaties to please come back, no nothing. It's so out of character I just can't help wondering about it - there was some apparent "vandalism" to her page a few days ago, but it was deleted before I saw what it was.

Something's up.

Well, there's a June 1 one, but you're basically correct. If you count that time as 4 AM GMT, indeed that's still May 31 in So. Cal.

I think I'll start a watch-thread in the editors' section.
Zoloft
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 25th June 2010, 10:40pm) *

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 25th June 2010, 3:28pm) *

Something's up.

Well, there's a June 1 one, but you're basically correct. If you count that time as 4 AM GMT, indeed that's still May 31 in So. Cal.

I think I'll start a watch-thread in the editors' section.

I already suggested digging up Shoemaker's Holiday's cellar. Has he ever appeared at children's parties dressed as a clown? fear.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Fri 25th June 2010, 5:24pm) *

I already suggested digging up Shoemaker's Holiday's cellar. Has he ever appeared at children's parties dressed as a clown? fear.gif

Well, whoever is keeping her in a hole in the cellar is letting her do Farmville. Probably that-- and letting her get her skin well-moisturized, for... ah....later. ohmy.gif
ulsterman
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 25th June 2010, 11:08pm) *

I'm beginning to suspect that Cirt is Durova's sock.

Good heavens, no! A thousand times no! Never! Whatever one says about Durova, and I would be prepared to say a great deal, she's not in the same league as Cirt.
EricBarbour
Or perhaps a sock she shares with other people, for paid editing.
I'm trying to figure out a pattern, and there are very few clues.
milowent

as i learned more about this article and the drama surrounding Herostratus' nomination of it for deletion, i learned that Ken Dickson really is a homophobe and bigot, yet the wiki article had no mention of Dickson's drama lawsuit defending a student who wore a t-shirt saying "HOMOS ROT IN HELL" or something similar (But more Biblical) on some gay pride day. there is no way Cirt could not have known about this coverage -- it may be the only thing significant that dickson was covered for in the the past.
HRIP7
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 29th June 2010, 4:28am) *

Or perhaps a sock she shares with other people, for paid editing.
I'm trying to figure out a pattern, and there are very few clues.

Nah. If there is a pattern, it is that Cirt is a person, and a gifted, distinctive and highly prolific one at that, active in a whole bunch of WMF projects (arbitrator on Wikinews, last time I looked). Not a sock, and certainly not Durova. Cirt spent something like 14+ hours a day editing for months at a time, much of it on Werner Erhard/Scientology/cults. She might conceivably have succumbed to the temptation to make an occasional buck off Wikipedia with PR jobs like the Dickson article or the Corbin Fisher (T-H-L-K-D) article (a puff piece about a gay porn company), but I reckon that's about it.

The interesting thing about the Dickson article that came out in the Herostratus RfA (courtesy of Milowent) was that Dickson had actually attracted some newspaper attention about his anti-gay stance. See Dickson Protects Hate Speech, or this article. Cirt's biography of Dickson referenced none of that coverage. Instead, the article cited sources that barely mentioned Dickson to arrive at that count of 50 references. It also mentioned that Dickson's children graduated as valedictorians from high school, and that Dickson's bosses thought he "was very much a team player, always asking, 'What else can I do to help?" and "did a 'great job' as a law clerk".

That's been a recurrent problem with Cirt's work. Cirt has a tendency to write propaganda, either for or against. Some people do that naively, simply because they don't know the arguments of the other side, but Cirt does it quite consciously and adeptly.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Tue 29th June 2010, 6:22am) *
Cirt has a tendency to write propaganda, either for or against. Some people do that naively, simply because they don't know the arguments of the other side, but Cirt does it quite consciously and adeptly.

If by "adept" you mean figuring out how to get away with murder within Wikipedia's own quirky policies and social rules then I agree whole heartedly. In the world outside of Wikipedia I wouldn't call his propaganda techniques particularly adept. He figured out quickly, and perhaps he was even told rather bluntly behind the scenes, that people can get behind someone who hates on Scientology, EST and "cults", but that he'd have to tone it down a bit to get away with it. That he did. He also built social capital by doing monkey work that no one wanted to do themselves, and then in a years time he went from often blocked edit warrior to well respected admin (well respected in some circles at least). Now he's able to get away with horribly biased propaganda style editing because he has the social capital and he knows how to play within the rules enough to keep lazy onlookers from really figuring out what he's up to. I assure you, however, that if he were writing like this in a more professional setting (academia, journalism, etc.) he'd never get away with it -- well with the exception of his more general POV area which journalists are notoriously poor at covering as well I suppose. What it tells us is that someone like Cirt is capable of adeptly exploiting one of Wikipedia's flaws. Cheers to him for that, but that's all it is.
Jagärdu
Here's a great example of Cirt applying his adept skills within his area of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Llywelyn

Relatively non-notable actress who now has a well referenced entry with 90% of the content focusing on her divorce from Jason Lee and her ensuing comments about the Church of Scientology harassing her. Apparently Jason Lee divorced her, and her lawyer and agent dropped her as a client because she wanted out of Scientology. Who knows if what she says is completely true, completely bunk or somewhere in between but its all pretty much just negative gossip and completely non-notable. A one liner (or not even) somewhere in an entry like ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversies

might be called for if this is notable enough. Don't get me wrong there is little to like about Scientology but there is no reason to turn an encyclopedia into a gossip blog because of it.
tarantino
QUOTE(milowent @ Fri 25th June 2010, 2:00am) *

Ken Dickson was one of those cases where someone has been cited in the local press a ton of times but he's done nothing of importance. Even I could not bring myself to vote keep as a rabid inclusionist. The article was a case of extreme puffery, and I was surprised to learn that its flowery lead sprung into the existence at the very first edit of its creation by Cirt. E.g., The 2nd sentence of the lead was about how Mr. Dickson learned his virtues from his Dad or something like that. Why write it like that? I have no idea.

I would not have objected to the article being kept, but it needed an extreme puffery makeover. No intention of bashing Cirt in my post, I have come to enjoy his bot like posts on talk pages, we just disagreed strongly on this.

One of Ken Dickson's opponents in the CA state senate primary was Jeff Stone. He was IDed as a Scientology sympathizer and drew the ire of Operation Clambake and Why We Protest regulars, among others.

Too bad Dickson ended up getting many fewer votes than Stone.
milowent
QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 27th July 2010, 4:54am) *

One of Ken Dickson's opponents in the CA state senate primary was Jeff Stone. He was IDed as a Scientology sympathizer and drew the ire of Operation Clambake and Why We Protest regulars, among others.

Too bad Dickson ended up getting many fewer votes than Stone.

mind-boggling. so Ken Dickson was puffed up to aid in an anti-Stone effort? (Joel Anderson beat both.)
HRIP7
The reason Cirt wrote that flattering article about Dickson, omitting all mention of the controversy about Dickson defending anti-gay hate speech, was indeed the fact that Anonymous didn't like Jeff Stone, whom they consider to be too friendly to Scientology.

Note that Cirt also substantially expanded the article on the third major candidate and eventual winner, Joel Anderson (T-H-L-K-D), in the run-up to the election.

So, no paid editing, I think. Just an attempt to influence the California State Senate election through Wikipedia, by giving flattering exposure to Dickson and Anderson, the candidates opposing the Scientology-friendly Stone. By the time the Dickson puff piece was discovered and deleted, the election was over.

Anderson won, Stone came second, Dickson, third. "We're certainly intrigued that Ken Dickson has done as well as he has, because he didn't really run a campaign," said Stone's campaign manager.

Jeff Stone does not have a Wikipedia entry. Perhaps someone should drop him a hint.
ulsterman
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Sat 31st July 2010, 11:33pm) *

Jeff Stone does not have a Wikipedia entry. Perhaps someone should drop him a hint.

And some people here say that Wikipedia doesn't matter! Of course it matters; it's one of the most visited web sites in the world. frighteningly many people use it as a source for information. We really need to give priority to digging out cases where it's being used in a way that could have unfortunate real-world implications, and this is an excellent example.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 1st August 2010, 10:41am) *

And some people here say that Wikipedia doesn't matter! Of course it matters; it's one of the most visited web sites in the world. frighteningly many people use it as a source for information. We really need to give priority to digging out cases where it's being used in a way that could have unfortunate real-world implications, and this is an excellent example.

How could I get hold of a copy of the Kenneth Dickson article, which has now unfortunately been deleted by Vandenberg? That's the problem with Wikipedia: whenever you find a nice juicy bone, they bury it in the garden again.
HRIP7
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 1st August 2010, 11:07am) *

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 1st August 2010, 10:41am) *

How could I get hold of a copy of the Kenneth Dickson article, which has now unfortunately been deleted by Vandenberg? That's the problem with Wikipedia: whenever you find a nice juicy bone, they bury it in the garden again.

Here is a copy of it, as written by Wikipedia user Cirt (T-C-L-K-R-D) . This includes all the WP formating; to see what it looked like in Wikipedia, insert it in a Wikipedia page and click Preview.
<!-- Please do not remove or change this AfD message until the issue is settled -->
{{AfDM|page=Kenneth Dickson (2nd nomination)|year=2010|month=June|day=16|substed=yes|origtag=afdx}}
<!-- End of AfD message, feel free to edit beyond this point -->
{{Infobox officeholder
|name = Kenneth Dickson
|image = Kenneth Dickson.jpg
|imagesize = 150px
|alt =
|caption = Kenneth Dickson
|birth_date = 1949<ref name="incumbentscite" />
|birth_place = [[Emporia, Kansas]]
|nationality = [[United States|American]]
|other_names = Ken Dickson
|occupation = [[Lawyer]]<br/>Trustee, Murrieta school board
|residence = [[Murrieta, California]]
|alma_mater = [[University of Kansas]]<br/>[[Duke University Law School]]<br/>[[Air War College]]<br/>[[Air Command and Staff College]]
|party = [[Republican Party (United States)|Republican]]
|spouse = Susan
|children = 2
|website = http://www.kcdickson2010.com/
|branch=[[United States Air Force]]
|serviceyears = 1974 – 1998
|rank=[[Lieutenant Colonel]]
|unit=[[Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Air Force]]
}}
'''Kenneth C. Dickson''' (born 1949) is a [[lawyer]], retired [[Lieutenant Colonel]] from the [[Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Air Force]], and [[California]] [[politician]] from the [[Republican Party (United States)|Republican Party]]. His father served in the [[United States Navy]] in [[World War II]] and the [[Korean War]]. He was born in [[Emporia, Kansas]], and raised in [[Topeka, Kansas|Topeka]]. Dickson is married with two children, and moved with his family from [[San Diego, California]] to [[Murrieta, California]] in 1992. His wife worked in [[elementary education]] before becoming an educator for the Riverside County Office of Education. His son serves in the [[United States Air Force]].

Dickson received a [[Bachelor of Arts|B.A.]] from the [[University of Kansas]] and a [[Juris Doctor|J.D.]] from [[Duke University Law School]]. He served four years [[active duty]] in the U.S. Air Force, and an additional 20 years in the reserves. He was responsible for U.S. Air Force contract cases while at [[Travis Air Force Base]] in [[San Francisco, California]], and later was transferred along with his superior officer to [[Wright-Patterson Air Force Base]] in [[Ohio]]. After completing his active duty service, his commanding officer recommended him as a law clerk for [[United States federal judge]] [[Howard Boyd Turrentine]] in [[San Diego, California]]. In 1998, Dickson retired from the [[Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Air Force]] with the rank of [[Lieutenant Colonel]].

Dickson served on the Murrieta Community Services Commission from 1996 through 1999. He was appointed to the Murrieta School board in January 1998 to fill a vacant seat, and was reelected in 1999 and 2003. In 2004 he served as president of the school board; he ran unopposed for his third full term as a school board member in 2007. Dickson was a candidate for the Republican primary in the 2010 [[California State Senate]] 2010 election. He sought the 36th District seat of California State Senator [[Dennis Hollingsworth]], who was unable to run again for the position because of [[term limit]]s. The majority of individuals residing in the district are Republican, and Dickson faced [[California State Assembly]] member Republican [[Joel Anderson]] of [[Alpine, California]] in the June 8, 2010 primary for the Republican nomination. Dickson's campaign platform focused on the California state budget, [[Illegal immigration to the United States]], and environmental concerns. Dickson beat Joel Anderson in votes cast in the Republican primary in [[Riverside County, California]], but Anderson won the election itself; with Dickson receiving 20 percent of total votes.

==Early life and family==
Dickson's family is descended from [[Denmark]].<ref>{{cite news | title =Reunions: Dickson family | work = [[Emporia Gazette]] | date = June 22, 2009 }}</ref> His father Hiram B. Dickson was raised on a farm in [[Kansas]].<ref name="listening">{{cite news | last =Hunneman | first =John | title =Listening to their fathers: Southwest County leaders share words of wisdom from their dads | work =[[North County Times]] | publisher =www.nctimes.com | date =June 18, 2006 | url =http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/article_f8d885e7-f88c-501e-afcc-8d6d4d8b8070.html | accessdate = 2009-11-21 }}</ref><ref name="hirambdickson">{{cite news | title = Hiram B. Dickson | work = The Emporia Gazette | location =[[Emporia, Kansas]] | date =March 30, 2010 }}</ref> Hiram B. Dickson joined the [[United States Navy]] during [[World War II]], where he was part of an underwater unit that conducted demolition operations.<ref name="listening" /> He later served during the [[Korean War]].<ref name="listening" /> He retired from the [[United States Naval Reserve]] with the rank of [[Commander]].<ref name="hirambdickson" /> After completing his time in the U.S. military Hiram B. Dickson was a teacher and principal of a high school in Kansas, and was an employee of the [[United States Civil Service Commission]].<ref name="listening" /> Dickson told the ''[[North County Times]]'', "The most profound thing Dad ever told me was that during that period of his life he spent many months absolutely terrified and that his daily prayer was that he would just be able to perform his duties with honor."<ref name="listening" /> Dickson was born in [[Emporia, Kansas]], and spent his early life in [[Topeka, Kansas|Topeka]].<ref name="rowe">{{cite news | last =Rowe | first =Jeff | title =Ken Dickson running for state Senate - Murrieta school board trustee challenging Stone for 36th District seat | work =[[North County Times]] | publisher =www.nctimes.com | date =July 25, 2009 | url =http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/article_f9435bee-60cc-59a3-b7b6-41402cd59bde.html | accessdate = 2009-11-21 }}</ref> His mother worked as a high school teacher and medical technologist.<ref name="rowe" /> Dickson's father died on March 27, 2010.<ref name="hirambdickson" />

Dickson moved with his family from [[San Diego, California]] to [[Murrieta, California]] in 1992.<ref name="attorney">{{cite news | last =Wilson | first =Wendy | title =Attorney named to school board - Murrieta trustees chose the 49-year-old father of two valedictorians for the vacancy. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =January 7, 1998 }}</ref> Dickson is married and has two children.<ref name="incumbentscite" /> His wife Susan has served as an [[elementary school]] teacher in [[Temecula, California]].<ref name="attorney" /><ref>{{cite news | last =The Press-Enterprise staff | title =Davis assigns teacher tax cut: The governor proposes to exempt certain public school educators from the state levy on income. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =A01 | date =May 14, 2000 }}</ref> In 1998 she was a fifth-grade teacher at [[Temecula Valley Unified School District]]'s Paloma Elementary School.<ref name="attorney" /> In 2009, Susan served as an educator for the Riverside County Office of Education.<ref name="biography" /> Both of their children graduated as [[valedictorian]]s from [[Murrieta Valley High School]], in 1995 and 1996.<ref name="attorney" /> His son graduated from the [[United States Air Force Academy]],<ref name="biography" /> serves as a C-17 instructor pilot in the U.S. Air Force, and in 2009 was stationed in [[Alaska]].<ref name="rowe" />

==Education==
Dickson graduated from the [[University of Kansas]] with a [[bachelor of arts]] degree in [[economics]] in 1970.<ref name="incumbentscite" /><ref name="biography">{{cite news | title =Biography | work =Ken Dickson for California State Senate | publisher =www.kcdickson2010.net | date =2009 | url =http://www.kcdickson2010.net/ken-dickson.asp | accessdate = 2009-11-21 }}</ref> He received his [[Juris Doctor|J.D.]] degree from [[North Carolina]]'s [[Duke University Law School]] in 1973.<ref name="incumbentscite" /><ref name="biography" /> As part of his military education, Dickson completed the National Security Management Course, and graduated from the [[Air War College]] and [[Air Command and Staff College]].<ref name="biography" />

==Career==
===United States Air Force===
Dickson served as a lawyer for the [[United States Air Force]].<ref name="incumbentscite" /> He was on [[active duty]] for four years, and served 20 more in the reserves.<ref name="rowe" /><ref name="reservists" /> Dickson was mentored by [[Colonel]] Dick Schulze, who schooled him in taking care of contract cases for the U.S. Air Force.<ref name="rowe" /> Col. Schulze supervised Dickson at [[Travis Air Force Base]] near [[San Francisco, California]] during the 1970s.<ref name="rowe" /> When Col. Schulze was transferred to [[Wright-Patterson Air Force Base]] in [[Ohio]], he requested that Dickson be transferred with him.<ref name="rowe" /> After Schulze and Dickson had both finished their service as active duty officers, Schulze recommended his former protege to become a clerk for [[United States federal judge]] [[Howard Boyd Turrentine]] in [[San Diego, California]].<ref name="rowe" /> Dickson began working for Judge Turrentine in 1978.<ref name="rowe" /> Judge Turrentine told the ''North County Times'' that Dickson did a "great job" as a [[law clerk]].<ref name="rowe" />

After moving to Riverside County, California in 1992, Dickson served as an environmental attorney during the period of time where [[March Air Force Base]] was in the process of being changed into a business facility and reserve base.<ref name="rowe" /> He was supervised by Colonel Ronald Rakowsky.<ref name="rowe" /> Col. Rakowsky said that Dickson was an expert in contract law, and a hard worker, noting, "He was very much a team player, always asking, 'What else can I do to help?'"<ref name="rowe" /> Subsequent to his service at March Air Force Base, Dickson performed legal duties for the [[Air Force Space Command]] in [[Colorado]].<ref name="rowe" /> After 28 years of service to the U.S. Air Force, Dickson retired from the [[Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Air Force]] with the rank of [[Lieutenant Colonel]] in 1998.<ref name="rowe" /><ref name="reservists">{{cite news | last =Kelley | first =Rebecca | title =Military reservists work for school district| work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B03 | date =October 2, 2001 }}</ref><ref name="salmon" />

===Political career===
====Murrieta, California school board====
Dickson lost an election to the [[Murrieta, California]] school board in 1993, and also lost an election to the Murrieta City Council in 1994.<ref name="incumbentscite" /> He was again a candidate for Murrieta City Council in 1997.<ref name="slowgrowth">{{cite news | last =Garcia | first =Olivia | title =Slow-growth opponents gather to push message - They say passage of Measure UU will deter business in Murrieta | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B05 | date =November 1, 1997 }}</ref> Dickson opposed Measure UU,<ref name="vanhaaster">{{cite news | last =Garcia | first =Olivia | title =Murrieta City Council - Van Haaster nets a 2nd term | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =November 5, 1997 }}</ref> a proposal to slow business growth in Murrieta.<ref name="slowgrowth" /> He was among seventeen people competing for three seats on the city council.<ref>{{cite news| last = Petix| first = Mark | title =Murrieta and Temecula city council fields finalized - Seventeen will seek election in Murrieta race | work =[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]]| publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01 | date =August 14, 1997 }}</ref><ref>{{cite news| publisher=The Press-Enterprise Co. | title = Murrieta City Council candidates| work =[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | page =B02A | date =October 28, 1997 }}</ref> Dickson was not elected to the city council in 1997.<ref name="vanhaaster" /> Dickson served on the Murrieta Community Services Commission from 1996 through 1999, where he worked to foster a relationship between the city and the school district.<ref name="incumbentscite" /> In 1999 he represented the Murrieta school district as a member of the Murrieta steering committee, and in this position consulted with the City Council on ways to improve growth in the region.<ref name="incumbentscite" /> He applied to become a trustee of the Muerriete school board in December 1997, and was one of five candidates.<ref>{{cite news | title = Five apply for Murrieta school board - Trustees are scheduled to meet Jan. 6 to pick a successor for Al Christenson | work =[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B03| date = December 20, 1997 }}</ref>

Dickson served as a Trustee of the Murrieta school board in 1998.<ref>{{cite news | last =Wilson | first =Wendy | title =Fewer days OK'd for Murrieta schools | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | page =B03 | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | date =April 30, 1998 }}</ref> He was appointed to the board in January 1998 to fill a seat vacacted by Al Christenson.<ref name="incumbentscite" /> In a unanimous decision, the school board voted 4-0 to appoint Dickson from the five candidates that applied for the position.<ref name="attorney" /> In 1999, he advocated for money from a Riverside County tobacco tax to be used to raise awareness about locations where individuals could receive immunizations, and to help provide transportation.<ref>{{cite news | last =Nash | first =James | title =Forum suggests uses for tobacco tax Immunizations and outreach top the list at the Murrieta session. It is one of 10 county health officials are holding. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =August 21, 1999 }}</ref> During his 1999 campaign for reelection to the Murrieta school board, Dickson said his goals included increasing the safety of school facilities, and an emphasis on traditional teaching values.<ref name="incumbentscite">{{cite news | last =Nash | first =James | title =Incumbents cite school improvements: Ken Dickson , a Murrieta lawyer, says he will push for safer, stricter campuses and traditional teaching| work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date=September 29, 1999 }}</ref> He commented of his emphasis on academic accountability, "If you can't measure it, it very frequently isn't going to happen. I think I appreciate that there are aspects of education that are difficult to measure. If you can't articulate it or measure it, it seems that you can't have much assurance that it will make much sense."<ref name="incumbentscite" /> The incumbent school board president Judy Rosen supported Dickson's reelection, and described him as "experienced and qualified".<ref>{{cite news | last =Nash | first =James | title =Murrieta trustee race pits record vs critics: The challengers argue the incumbents have not been open to ideas from the public. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B04 | date =October 30, 1999 }}</ref> He was one of seven candidates vying for three seats on the board.<ref>{{cite news| last = Nash| first =James | title = Voters get last word in low-key race: Three incumbents faced four challengers for three seats. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B08 | date =November 3, 1999 }}</ref> Dickson won reelection to a spot on the board,<ref>{{cite news | last =The Press-Enterprise staff | title =Inland area Election Results | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B06 | date =November 3, 1999 }}</ref> and began his first full term in January 2000.<ref name="murashko" /> One of his actions in the term was to vote in favor of the location Los Alamos Hills in Murrieta as the site of a new high school.<ref>{{cite news| last = Nash | first = James | title =Trustees decide on site of school: Los Alamos Hills will be home to Murrieta 's second high school. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date = January 15, 2000 }}</ref> Dickson supporting going forward with purchasing land for the school, called [[Vista Murrieta High School]].<ref>{{cite news | title = Murrieta Valley School Board - Board votes to buy land | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B03 | date = October 13, 2000 }}</ref> The proposal was due to expansion at the older school, the [[Murrieta Valley High School]].<ref>{{cite news| last =Nash | first =James | title =Older students may attend middle school: Delays in building Murrieta's second high school could force the move, a district official said. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01 | date September 14, 2000 }}</ref> He supported reinforcing communication between the board and the public, through the addition of a public-relations office for the Murrieta Valley Unified School District.<ref>{{cite news| last =Nash | first =James | title = Is Murrieta's school district listening? Yes, officials say | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01 | date =December 31, 2000 }}</ref>

In July 2001, Dickson announced a bid for a seat on the Murrieta City Council.<ref name="murashko">{{cite news | last =Murashko | first =Alex | title =School board member Dickson announces Murrieta council run | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B03 | date =July 29, 2001 }}</ref> He said his goals included reducing conflict between city council members, and helping to "nurture political relationships" between stakeholders including the county, the school district, and public and private groups.<ref name="murashko" /> He was endorsed by the Murrieta Police Officers Association.<ref>{{cite news | title = Murrieta: Police, firefighters back 2 incumbents | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B03 | date =November 1, 2001 }}</ref> [[California State Assembly]] member, [[Dennis Hollingsworth]], contributed to Dickson's campaign for Murrieta City Council.<ref>{{cite news| last =Salmon | first = Rocky | title = Council hopefuls report finances: Elections: Temecula city candidates raise more money than Murrieta counterparts. | work =[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date = February 1, 2002 }}</ref> Dickson campaigned on the issue of economic development within the region through coordination with other government agencies.<ref>{{cite news| last =Fisher | first = Michael | title = Candidates stress job creation: Murrieta : Attracting new business while managing growth is the main issue in the council race. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01 | date =September 30, 2001 }}</ref> He was one of eleven candidates in the race for three seats on the city council.<ref>{{cite news | title = Semi-official results: Riverside county races | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B09 | date = November 8, 2001 }}</ref> As school trustee in 2002 amidst negotiations over teacher pay, Dickson voiced his high regard for staff while acknowledging it was difficult to balance this against budget financial obligations to the city.<ref>{{cite news| last = Vargo | first = Joe | title = Impasse declared in teacher pay talks : Murrietta Valley: The action will bring in a mediator and start the process again in May. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =April 20, 2002 }}</ref> In 2003, he served as a commissioner of the City of Murrieta Steering Committee and a member of the Murrieta Community Services Commission.<ref name="salmon">{{cite news | last =Salmon | first =Rocky | title =Board candidates weigh in | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =October 16, 2003}}</ref> During discussion over building a new high school for the [[Murrieta Valley Unified School District]], Dickson emphasized the need to be mindful of the cost of the project as balanced against the size of the building.<ref>{{cite news| last =Weaver | first = Bradley | title =Poll: Big is better : Murrieta : Most residents say the new high school should be a larger carbon copy of the current ones. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =September 18, 2003 }}</ref> He helped to investigate relevant laws regarding building a new [[charter school]] in the district called Santa Rosa Academy Charter School,<ref>{{cite news| last = Weaver| first =Bradley | title =District considers charter school : Murrieta : Trustees hear parental support for, and a staff recommendation against, the proposal. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01 | date = May 9, 2003 }}</ref> and voted in favor of the school.<ref>{{cite news| last =Weaver | first = Bradley| title = Charter school appeal studied: Murrieta : A key advocate says he is not ready to let the school board's decision end the matter. | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher = The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date = May 13, 2003 }}</ref>

As a candidate for Murrieta school board in 2003, his main issues included keeping up ties with residents in the area and the school board, and working on a new high school in the region.<ref name="salmon" /> He was one of eight candidates vying for two seats on the board.<ref>{{cite news | title = Last filing date passes for most area elections | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B01| date = August 9, 2003 }}</ref> After a close race,<ref>{{cite news| last = Weaver | first =Bradley | title = Murrieta school race unsettled | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page = B08 | date = November 6, 2003 }}</ref> he was reelected to the position as a school board trustee.<ref>{{cite news | last =Weaver | first =Bradley | title =Final results in on school board race: Murrieta : Absentee ballots put incumbent Kenneth Dickson ahead of trustee Judy Rosen. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date =November 8, 2003 }}</ref> In 2004, Dickson was the president of the school board.<ref>{{cite news | last =Lou | first =Linda | title =Police step up patrols at schools | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | date =May 22, 2004 | url =http://www.pe.com/localnews/southwest/stories/PE_News_Local_spatrols23.5839b.html | accessdate = 2009-11-21}}</ref> In 2006, Dickson considered a candidacy for [[California's 66th State Assembly district]], but chose not to pursue it and the seat went to [[Kevin Jeffries]].<ref name="rowe" /> Dickson was unopposed in the 2007 Murrieta school board election.<ref>{{cite news| last = Bustamante| first = Claudia | title = In brief: Murrieta| work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B02a | date =August 14, 2007 }}</ref><ref name="rowe" /> After the school board came to an agreement with teachers to avoid layoffs during a budget crisis, Dickson commented to ''[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]]'', "This is a good result in a difficult situation. We have done a tremendous benefit to our community by saving jobs."<ref>{{cite news| last =Klampe | first = Michelle L. | title =Murrieta school board rescinds layoff notices | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | language =[[Riverside, California]] | page = A12 | date = April 28, 2010 }}</ref>

====California State Senate campaign====
In 2009, Dickson was an instructor at [[Mount San Jacinto College]], where he led courses in [[immigration law]] and introduction to law.<ref name="rowe" /> In June 2009, Dickson filed papers to run as a Republican for the [[California State Senate]] in the 2010 election.<ref>{{cite news | last =PE Politics | title =Murrieta school board member joins Senate race | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | date =June 25, 2009 | url =http://blogs.pe.com/politics/2009/06/murrieta-school-board-members.html | accessdate = 2009-11-21 }}</ref><ref name="countyleaders">{{cite news | last =Glick | first =Julia | title =County leaders build war chests - fundraising: With elections almost a year away, several have added hundreds of thousands to their campaign coffers. | work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =D1 | date =August 8, 2009 }}</ref> Dickson sought the 36th District seat of California State Senator [[Dennis Hollingsworth]], was unable to run again for the position because of [[term limit]]s.<ref name="countyleaders" /><ref name="flap">{{cite journal | last =O'Leary | first =Tim | title =Funding flap draws wait-and-see responses from potential Republican rivals for state Senate seat | journal =The Valley News | volume =9 | issue =44 | publisher =www.myvalleynews.com | date =October 30, 2009 |url=http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/41828/|accessdate=2009-11-13}}</ref> He faced Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone in the June 8, 2009 primary for the Republican nomination,<ref name="countyleaders" /> along with [[California State Assembly]] member Republican [[Joel Anderson]] of [[Alpine, California]].<ref name="countyleaders" /><ref name="flap" /><ref name="orwasit" /> Other candidates in the Republican primary included Greg Stephens from [[Poway]] and Xanthi Gionis from [[Temecula]].<ref>{{cite news| last = Gang | first = Duane W.| coauthors =Imran Ghori, Jim Miller | title = Candidates now set for June 8 primary | work = [[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | location = [[Riverside, California]] | page = A2 | date = March 16, 2010 }}</ref> The majority of individuals residing in the district are Republican.<ref>{{cite news | last =Rowe | first =Jeff | title =Region: Combo of tax entities could save money - Franchise Tax Board and Board of Equalization to take first dance | work =[[North County Times]] | publisher =www.nctimes.com | date =August 3, 2009 | url =http://nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/article_55694c39-79fd-5a8c-980a-3a439602e053.html | accessdate = 2009-11-21 }}</ref>

Dickson, Stone, and Anderson were all at a Republican party fundraising dinner in July 2009,<ref name="flap" /> where the three were introduced as candidates for the State Senate.<ref name="hopefuls">{{cite journal|title=Three state Senate hopefuls share Republican limelight|journal=The Valley News|date=July 4, 2009|first=Tim|last=O'Leary|coauthors=|volume=13|issue=27 |url=http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/39054/|format=|accessdate=2009-11-12|publisher=www.thevillagenews.com}}</ref> In an interview with ''The Valley News'' at the event, Dickson said he was a [[Reagan Republican]].<ref name="hopefuls" /> Dickson held a gathering to start his campaign on November 14, 2009, at the home of local friends in Temecula, California.<ref name="flap" /> Dickson is a member of the Murrieta-Temecula Republican group, described by ''The Valley News'' as "one of the largest and most active in the nation".<ref name="hopefuls" /> Anderson officially announced his candidacy on March 4, 2010; prior to that there was months of speculation as to whether he would actually enter the race.<ref>{{cite news| last =Clock | first = Michele | title = Anderson announces state Senate run | work =[[The San Diego Union-Tribune]] | location = [[San Diego, California]] | publisher = Union-Tribune Publishing Co. | page = B-3 | date = March 4, 2010 }}</ref> Both Stone and Dickson planned their campaigns for the likelihood that Anderson would enter the race for the Republican nomination.<ref name="flap" /> When asked by ''The Valley News'' for his take on Anderson's position, Dickson commented that he was focusing on his own campaign.<ref name="flap" /> "I've got a lot of work to do and I’m going to do it," said Dickson.<ref name="flap" />

Dickson told the ''North County Times'' that his campaign platform focused on three key areas: the California state budget, [[Illegal immigration to the United States]], and environmental concerns.<ref name="rowe" /> "We have deferred paying for what we consume and undermined the values that helped build this country," commented Dickson on the budget issues in California.<ref name="rowe" /> Asked why he decided to run for California State Senate, Dickson said, "I feel called to articulate the issues that are important to the district."<ref name="rowe" /> At a political debate held on March 18, 2010, Dickson noted that politicians must address businesses leaving California due to issues including taxation and environmental regulation.<ref name="budgetmisery">{{cite news| last = Gang | first = Duane W. | title = Budget misery primary topic of GOP debate | work =[[The Riverside Press-Enterprise]] | language = [[Riverside, California]] | page = A12| date = May 19, 2010 }}</ref> He stated that if a Republican were elected to the California State Senate they would be in the minority party, and would require the skills, "to cajole, shame, argue, negotiate for our values. That is a skill set I believe I have better than any of my opponents."<ref name="budgetmisery" /> Dickson garnered second place in the Republican primary in [[Riverside County, California]] – above Joel Anderson.<ref name="orwasit">{{cite news| title =Anderson wins - or was it Stone? | work = East County Magazine| publisher = eastcountymagazine.org| date =June 9, 2010 | url = http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/3512 | accessdate = 2010-06-10}}</ref> However, he lost the overall election to Anderson, and received 20 percent of the total votes cast.<ref>{{cite journal| issue=23|volume=14 | title = Anderson leads Supervisor Stone for 36th Senate race | journal =Valley News | date =June 9, 2010}}</ref><ref>{{cite news | title = Primary voting tables | work = [[The San Diego Union-Tribune]] | location =[[San Diego, California]] | publisher = Union-Tribune Publishing Co. | page = A-10 | date =June 9, 2010 }}</ref>

==See also==
{{Portal box|California|Politics}}
*[[Politics of California]]
*[[Riverside County, California]]
*[[Riverside, California]]

==References==
{{Reflist|2}}

==Further reading==
*{{cite news | last =Hunneman | first =John | title =Listening to their fathers: Southwest County leaders share words of wisdom from their dads | work =[[North County Times]] | publisher =www.nctimes.com | date =June 18, 2006 | url =http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/article_f8d885e7-f88c-501e-afcc-8d6d4d8b8070.html }}
*{{cite news | last =Nash | first =James | title =Incumbents cite school improvements: Ken Dickson , a Murrieta lawyer, says he will push for safer, stricter campuses and traditional teaching| work =[[The Press-Enterprise (California)|The Press-Enterprise]] | publisher =The Press-Enterprise Co. | page =B01 | date=September 29, 1999 }}
*{{cite news | last =Rowe | first =Jeff | title =Ken Dickson running for state Senate - Murrieta school board trustee challenging Stone for 36th District seat | work =[[North County Times]] | publisher =www.nctimes.com | date =July 25, 2009 | url =http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/article_f9435bee-60cc-59a3-b7b6-41402cd59bde.html }}

==External links==
*[http://www.kcdickson2010.com/ Ken Dickson: Candidate for California State Senate]
*[http://kcdickson2010.com/ken-dickson.asp Biography], at kcdickson2010.com

{{DEFAULTSORT:Dickson, Kenneth}}
[[Category:Living people]]
[[Category:California lawyers]]
[[Category:Republican Party (United States) politicians]]
[[Category:University of Kansas alumni]]
[[Category:Duke University alumni]]
[[Category:United States Air Force officers]]
[[Category:1949 births]]

HRIP7
I am not sure to what extent the articles did influence the election. Anderson won by more than 10,000 votes; viewing figures for his article were typically below 50 a day before the June election, and were even lower for Dickson. On the other hand, the viewers may have included some journalists and opinion makers.

Be that as it may, the intent was clear enough.

Mods, if posting the article can conceivably get you in hot water again, please take it down.
chrisoff
I thought it says somewhere amongst all Wikipedia's guidelines and rules that a candidate for an election, without other claims of notability, is not in itself notability enough for an article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.