Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WP:NOTDIC Fought over by WP:DICS
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Milton Roe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...ions/Wolfkeeper

Wolfkeeper deletes the WP:NOTDIC section of WP:NOT, which asserts that WP is not a dictionary. Says that since WP has articles on single words, including meanings and etymologies, obviously WP:NOTDIC is inoperative.

SarekofVulcan, sometimes a prime WP:DIC if you need a DEF for one, disagrees. Wolfkeeper persists with the logical course of removing a part of WP:NOT which is obviously untrue. Sarek blocks him for 3 hours for POINT-y edit warring and being too logical for WP.

laugh.gif

Too much stress again, Sarek.

Moulton
Ah yes. Homo Adminicus (Banhammeranimus Ornericus).
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
I like where Wolfkeeper (T-C-L-K-R-D) reasons with SarekOfVulcan
QUOTE(Wolfkeeper @ Tue 24th August 2010, 3:28am) *
No, just fuck off you total ego-maniac dick splash.

Would that be an accurate enough a summary?

Who is SarekOfVulcan and what are his social / mental / employment problems that he needs to indulge himself on the Wikipedia? His page says "Brown University" and so he has to have half a brain.

Oh, I see he is a member here and so perhaps he can fill us in himself.
Somey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 23rd August 2010, 8:34pm) *
Wolfkeeper deletes the WP:NOTDIC section of WP:NOT, which asserts that WP is not a dictionary. Says that since WP has articles on single words, including meanings and etymologies, obviously WP:NOTDIC is inoperative.

Hmm... He didn't delete the entire section, he just changed the wording to "reflect the consensus" from here, a talk page on which he argued this past June that allowing "articles about terms" (i.e., dictionary entries) is "probably the most self defeating and negative suggestion in the entire history of the wikipedia."

In other words, I suspect he's just being sarcastic and trying to force the issue, which of course is a violation of WP:POINT, so they blocked him. Heaven forbid someone might actually want to make a point on Wikipedia, particularly one that might draw people's attention to an obvious inconsistency in the rules - what, an inconsistency? Pshaw, we say! confused.gif
Seurat
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 24th August 2010, 7:09am) *
WP:POINT

Bingley bingley beep! wtf.gif

Enter Seurat fear.gif

Seurat: The difference between dictionaries and encyclopedias is trivial!

Exit Seurat fear.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 24th August 2010, 3:09am) *
Heaven forbid someone might actually want to make a point on Wikipedia, particularly one that might draw people's attention to an obvious inconsistency in the rules - what, an inconsistency? Pshaw, we say! confused.gif

Well, you can say, "Pshaw," if you like, but I prefer, "Harrumph."
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 24th August 2010, 6:17am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 24th August 2010, 3:09am) *
Heaven forbid someone might actually want to make a point on Wikipedia, particularly one that might draw people's attention to an obvious inconsistency in the rules - what, an inconsistency? Pshaw, we say! confused.gif

Well, you can say, "Pshaw," if you like, but I prefer, "Harrumph."

Wolfkeeper is more eloquent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Wol...per#August_2010
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 24th August 2010, 6:49pm) *

Wolfkeeper even spells "consensus" correctly (and as such, should win by default).
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Mon 23rd August 2010, 11:28pm) *

Who is SarekOfVulcan... His page says "Brown University" and so he has to have half a brain.

Either that or he works for UPS. ermm.gif
SarekOfVulcan
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 24th August 2010, 3:04pm) *

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Mon 23rd August 2010, 11:28pm) *

Who is SarekOfVulcan... His page says "Brown University" and so he has to have half a brain.

Either that or he works for UPS. ermm.gif

Eh, considered it from time to time, but they were never hiring at the same time I was looking.

I think I explained it in enough detail on-wiki, but it sums up as: "if everyone who opines tells you that's not what the RFC said, and you edit war on policy pages anyway, you get blocked."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.