Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia/Google: Kerala, worst state in India
> Wikimedia Discussion > International > Wikimedia India
thekohser
QUOTE(wikieyeay @ Fri 3rd September 2010, 11:21am) *

The "worst state" was in place on Wikipedia for 20 minutes. The page gets about 5,000 page views per day, so in 20 minutes, perhaps 69 people opened the page before anyone did anything to correct it. Now it will be enshrined on Google for probably a few hours, maybe a day or two. I'd be curious to know how long before Google overwrites it.
wikieyeay
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 3rd September 2010, 4:49pm) *

The "worst state" was in place on Wikipedia for 20 minutes. The page gets about 5,000 page views per day, so in 20 minutes, perhaps 69 people opened the page before anyone did anything to correct it. Now it will be enshrined on Google for probably a few hours, maybe a day or two. I'd be curious to know how long before Google overwrites it.

The cache for Wikipedia's Goatse.cx page is from 27 August http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear.../wiki/Goatse.cx

And the cock and ball torture page from 21 August http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...ture_%28band%29

I suspect Google does some smart monitoring, whereby changes that are updated frequently within a given site are updated more frequently.

Good job Wikipedia has flagged changes, so that this kind of crap doesn't make it into search engines. Oh wait.
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 3rd September 2010, 11:49am) *

I didn't check again for about 12 hours, but it's been "fixed" by Google now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.