Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The MMORPG Analogy
> Wikimedia Discussion > Meta Discussion
Eppur si muove
I am writing a piece for an academic(-ish) site on my experiences in the I/P battlefield on Wikipedia and beyond. It's possible I may refer to the MMPORPG analogy. Does anyone claim responsibility for inventing the analogy? Or does anyone recollect where it came from?

(In case anyone is wondering who I am and how my account has run up over 100 edits without coming to your notice, I have been persuaded to rename this account from SelfHater.)
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Eppur si muove @ Mon 6th September 2010, 5:13pm) *

I am writing a piece for an academic(-ish) site on my experiences in the I/P battlefield on Wikipedia and beyond. It's possible I may refer to the MMPORPG analogy. Does anyone claim responsibility for inventing the analogy? Or does anyone recollect where it came from?

(In case anyone is wondering who I am and how my account has run up over 100 edits without coming to your notice, I have been persuaded to rename this account from SelfHater.)

I think “MMORPG” is the more common acronym, “multiplayer” being treated as one word.

Searching WR on “MMORPG” gives 22 pages of posts, the earliest mention being this one.

Jon Image
Eppur si muove
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 6th September 2010, 10:54pm) *

QUOTE(Eppur si muove @ Mon 6th September 2010, 5:13pm) *

I think “MMORPG” is the more common acronym, “multiplayer” being treated as one word.

Searching WR on “MMORPG” gives 22 pages of posts, the earliest mention being this one.

Jon Image

Oh thanks. So the origin is apparently on Wikipedia. I had assumed it was an external critique.
Eva Destruction

In fairness, the Wikipedia admins themselves made the same point two years prior to that.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 6th September 2010, 6:23pm) *

In fairness, the Wikipedia admins themselves made the same point two years prior to that.

Oh, I didn't think the comparison originated here — Blu's note tossed it off as a well-worn cliche already by 2006 — but I just wasn't up to doing any further research.

Jon Image
Jon Awbrey
There are numerous threads and meta*threads on the subject of MMORPGs and related subjects hereabouts — but the wiki-perennial question that might fill a dozen genu-whinely academic dissipations would probably have to be this:

Wikipedia

The Fusion of an Alternate Reality Game, a Confidence Game, and a Viral Marketing Scheme

In other words —

Wikipedia

Highly Addictive Massively Multiplayer Alternate Reality Bunko Operation (HAMMARBO)

Jon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.