Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia as a Second Life alternative
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 9th September 2010, 6:39pm) *
Coincidently the wikimedia foundation has hired Second Life's former Vice President of Partnerships Cyn Skyberg to be their new Chief Talent and Culture Officer.

Is no one else perplexed by a multi-million dollar operation whose chief executive officer uses txt language like "LOL" in their official notices? Is Sue for real or just Jimbo's ditzy avatar.

QUOTE(Sue Gardner @ Thu 9th September 2010, 6:39pm) *
... nobody is exactly like us, LOL ...

Unlike Wikipedia, Second Life ... of which I know nothing ... apparently did do something to address adult content. Not that Cyn is going to get to go anywhere near effecting policy changes on the rabble.

What happened to that friend of Sue's that was doing the adult content review and it?
QUOTE(Cyn Skyberg @ Thu 9th September 2010, 6:39pm) *
A portion of this will be perceived as definitely being more corporate- and educator-friendly because you'll have more control over the things you're experiencing.

Alison
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Thu 9th September 2010, 6:04pm) *

Coincidently the wikimedia foundation has hired Second Life's former Vice President of Partnerships Cyn Skyberg to be their new Chief Talent and Culture Officer.

Is no one else perplexed by a multi-million dollar operation whose chief executive officer uses txt language like "LOL" in their official notices? Is Sue for real or just Jimbo's ditzy avatar.

If you spend your waking hours on-line or are part of an organization that's based on-line, it tends to become engrained in your psyche. I've seen Sergey Brin doing it a lot more than once, for example, but you're not calling him 'ditzy' dry.gif
gomi
For Wikipidiots to use WP as a Second Life, wouldn't they need a life to begin with?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 10th September 2010, 1:44am) *

For Wikipidiots to use WP as a Second Life, wouldn't they need a life to begin with?

I think most of them are still playing Half-Life.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(Alison @ Fri 10th September 2010, 1:21am) *
I've seen Sergey Brin doing it a lot more than once, for example, but you're not calling him 'ditzy' dry.gif

i could do. Sergey Brin is ditzy ... hmmn, probably not. He has created a lot more to balance the personal indulgences and is probably a lot better geek/coder/mathematician than Sue.

Does he use it in official announcements without irony? I'd expect a ditzy secretary to be chided for doing so in a proper corp or NPO. Of course, the secretary could be a male, gay, black, Jewish AND ditzy. We operate a equal opportunities for all discrimination policy here.

I guess we will have to wait and see why Sue achieves but, really, what more to date is Sue doing than living off the free labor of others?

And now dragging in a load of similar minded web 2.0 or gamer cronies when what they really need is proper academic or editorial staff.
Cedric
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Thu 9th September 2010, 8:04pm) *

QUOTE(Sue Gardner @ Thu 9th September 2010, 6:39pm) *
... nobody is exactly like us, LOL ...

Good question. It seems to me that Sue is still a bit in awe of The Dear Leader and Greatest Friend of the Wiki Peoples, Comrade Jimbo. It does not appear to have dawned upon Sue yet that as CEO, it should be her prerogative to trigger the bell for an end to the applause, rather than being the head cheerleader of The Happy-Clappy Squad.

thekohser
Cyn's LinkedIn profile lists Linden Labs (Second Life) as her "past" positions, with her own consultancy, "redexec", as the current company of 1. (She hasn't gotten around to updating with WMF yet.)

Anyway, here is what "redexec" does:

It's all about finding the best pathway for you.

Being a manager or leader can be stressful, and often times change and other stresses can be overwhelming. Coaching focuses on giving you the tools you need to be successful in your role, building strong interpersonal relationships and providing inspirational leadership to your team.

redexec helps clients recognize and develop their talent, and leverages a variety of assessment data to facilitate individual development planning and talent transformation.

redexec helps leadership teams and individuals develop meaningful programs for their companies that increase employee investment, and help weave engagement and participation into the fabric of the company’s culture.

Why leave "redexec" to go work for the WMF?

...in the past 6 months I have regretfully said goodbye to my favorite job so far, finished my MA degree, adopted a baby and now, because of that new family member, going back to work in a fantastic new job.

So, Wikipedia may not be for "that girl in Africa", but at least it's for "that baby in San Francisco".
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 10th September 2010, 4:07am) *
Why leave "redexec" to go work for the WMF?

To get paid.
So, Wikipedia may not be for "that girl in Africa", but at least it's for "that baby in San Francisco".

ha! cue ditzy lol.
anthony

I've seen Sergey Brin doing it a lot more than once, for example, but you're not calling him 'ditzy' dry.gif

Did he, like, twirl his hair around his finger while he was doing it?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 9th September 2010, 11:43pm) *

No, but while at Stanford in 1998, he did post a list of his favorite books.

Now, that is what I would call a nerdy asshole. "Ditz" doesn't quite cover it.
Seurat
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 10th September 2010, 10:04am) *

At least he's covered the important stuff:
Dr. Seuss - Cat in the Hat
Dr. Seuss - Fox In Socks
Dr. Seuss - Green Eggs and Ham
Dr. Seuss - Happy Birthday To You!
Dr. Seuss - Hop on Pop
Dr. Seuss - Horton Hatches an Egg
Dr. Seuss - Horton Hatches the Egg
Dr. Seuss - How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Dr. Seuss - My Many Colored Days
Dr. Seuss - Oh Say Can You Say?
Dr. Seuss - Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Dr. Seuss - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Dr. Seuss - The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
Dr. Seuss - The Cat in the Hat
Dr. Seuss - The Lorax
Dr. Seuss - There's a Wocket in My Pocket
Dr. Seuss, pseud. - Bartholomew and the Oobleck
Dr. Seuss, pseud. - If I Ran the Zoo
Dr. Seuss, pseud. - McElligot's Pool

smile.gif
the_undertow
There is no reason any Wikipedian should use Second life, when clearly the prequel was a failure.
Zoloft
Hey, as a drama engine, Second Life is Wikipedia's peer:
Note the nerdslapfight over the Emerald Viewer recently.
Casliber
Maple Story is pretty good - it's like Warcraft meets Hayao Miyazaki laugh.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Casliber @ Sun 12th September 2010, 11:36pm) *

Maple Story is pretty good - it's like Warcraft meets Hayao Miyazaki laugh.gif

Sorry but side-scrolling + more than two players = fail.
Eppur si muove
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 10th September 2010, 11:04am) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 9th September 2010, 11:43pm) *

Now, that is what I would call a nerdy asshole. "Ditz" doesn't quite cover it.

His use of "favourite" to describe a list that long is rather ditzy. And who's going to be the first person to edit his BLP to mention he lists Mein Kampf as one of his favourite books? Mind you, he likes The Communist Manifesto even more, as he lists it twice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.