Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stephanie Abrams
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
thekohser
Weather Channel meteorologist Stephanie Abrams is a Jew, according to Wikipedia, but (as far as I can tell) not according to any reliable source in the world.

Her Jewish roots were hinted at by this IP editor, who also made her a year older. But, attending a Jewish youth camp doesn't make you a full-on Jew until this IP editor makes you an "American Jew". You get a bit more specific when this IP editor declares that you're a "Jewish American scientist".

Now, I'm not saying Ms. Abrams isn't Jewish. But, I am saying it is extremely unlikely that her religious/ethnic background has ever been given serious attention by the news media.

This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo. Could someone please post this on his Talk page, to find out if he feels Wikipedia IP editors (in this case) are carefully following the BLP policy?
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 8:48am) *

Weather Channel meteorologist Stephanie Abrams is a Jew, according to Wikipedia, but (as far as I can tell) not according to any reliable source in the world.

Sephardic or Ashkenazi? evilgrin.gif
Infomercial

This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo. Could someone please post this on his Talk page, to find out if he feels Wikipedia IP editors (in this case) are carefully following the BLP policy?

Done. I'd also like to add that the fact that they used a Twitter post to confirm rubbish not even mentioned in the post disgusts me. It's things like this that puts Wikipedia on the hot seat for lack of BLP moderation in the first place. I seriously hope something happens about it soon, because I can't afford to see another person maligned by their incompetence.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 27th December 2010, 9:55am) *

Sephardic or Ashkenazi? evilgrin.gif

With a name like Abrams, how could she possibly be a Jew?

Stephanie Zimbalist-- remember her? evilgrin.gif Daddy Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. The F.B.I. .... Duh DUH, DAH DUH! duh de duh, DEE DA DUH.
It's the blimp, Frank
Hello mods -- BLP forum?
gomi
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Mon 27th December 2010, 12:23pm) *
Hello mods -- BLP forum?

Done.
gomi
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:48am) *
This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo.

Actually, alert Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) . He is a rabid opponent of "yellow-badging". It is interesting to watch the fights between editors who list people as Jewish out of pride and those, like Jayjg, who relentlessly delete that information, perhaps from (historically justified) fear of persecution. There is no equivalent argument among (e.g.) Irish-Americans or Polish-Americans or most other religious, national, or ethnic groups.
EricBarbour
I think it should be removed and the biography either semi-protected or placed under Pending Changes.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:45, 27 December 2010 (UTC)

Isn't it amazing, when any of us clicks our heels together, nothing happens.
But when Jimbo does it, there's always a butt-nozzle ready and waiting.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 27th December 2010, 1:38pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:48am) *
This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo.

Actually, alert Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) . He is a rabid opponent of "yellow-badging". It is interesting to watch the fights between editors who list people as Jewish out of pride and those, like Jayjg, who relentlessly delete that information, perhaps from (historically justified) fear of persecution. There is no equivalent argument among (e.g.) Irish-Americans or Polish-Americans or most other religious, national, or ethnic groups.

Yes. And ultimately, "yellow-badging" (his major obscessive interest) is what sank Poetlister on WP. He'd have done okay, otherwise. Or at least lasted a lot longer. The List of British Jews was what kept getting his socks checkusered on WP (about 4 of them appeared there), and when enough of the pieces came together, wha-boom, the game was up.

And without that, I wonder if we'd even have caught him on WR? Sure, we had the faked female photos, but we had nothing to hang them on without the massive WP investigations related to the Runcorn sockfarm. We'd have ended up banning Taxwoman on WR, maybe, and that's it.

Some of you with better memories might want to comment on my alternative reality WHAT IF scenario. What if MB hadn't been obscessed with lists of Jews, and got on the badside of SV and Jayjg that way?

And don't say "Well, what if your moma had wheels? Would she then be a bicycle?" This MB thing could have happened. It was an counting/categorizing obscession MB didn't have to have. He could have had some others (and did have many others).
Infomercial
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 27th December 2010, 3:54pm) *

I think it should be removed and the biography either semi-protected or placed under Pending Changes.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:45, 27 December 2010 (UTC)

Sweet! I made a difference! applause.gif applause.gif applause.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 3:02pm) *

Proxy butt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.
Infomercial
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:03pm) *

Proxy buttt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.

Proxy butt nozzling? What are you talking about?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 2:38pm) *
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:03pm) *
Proxy buttt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.
Proxy butt nozzling? What are you talking about?

evilgrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:02pm) *

Well, your job is not yet complete. Now, you need to go back to Jimbo's page and confess that you plagiarized the entire query from Gregory Kohs, a user that Jimmy has expressly banned from all Wikimedia projects, so how does he now feel about the biography?

(Is it generally your practice to copy other people's work as your own, then applaud yourself for it?)
Doc glasgow
I've removed the Camp Judea bit as lacking any sourcing - Goggle shows up nothing credible either.
Infomercial
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 10:35pm) *

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:02pm) *

Well, your job is not yet complete. Now, you need to go back to Jimbo's page and confess that you plagiarized the entire query from Gregory Kohs, a user that Jimmy has expressly banned from all Wikimedia projects, so how does he now feel about the biography?

(Is it generally your practice to copy other people's work as your own, then applaud yourself for it?)

Oh, my. I feel like a dick now. I didn't mean to leave your name out of it, but I'm also deathly afraid of being accused of meatpuppeting from someone of such high distinction. The applause thing was just a joke, though. I know relaying the information to Jimbo holds no weight against gathering the information in the first place. If you still want me to complete the job, I'll happily do so.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 28th December 2010, 5:10am) *

I've removed the Camp Judea bit as lacking any sourcing - Goggle shows up nothing credible either.

What about Camp Grenada?

It occurs to me that the ability to play the game of Jew/Not-a-Jew is just one of the many benefits of having semi-notable BLPs on Wikipedia.

Hmmm. If Jews make up 2% of the population of the US, I wonder what proportion of BLPs of Americans are tagged as Jewish-Americans? The world wonders.

Paul Newman is half Jewish
And Goldie Hawn is too...
Put them both together and you get
One fine-looking Jew!

-- Adam Sandler
Malik Shabazz
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 28th December 2010, 7:10am) *

My gut tells me that the IP who added it is someone who attended Young Judea with Abrams.
thekohser
QUOTE(Malik Shabazz @ Tue 28th December 2010, 5:53pm) *

My gut tells me that the IP who added it is someone who attended Young Judea with Abrams.

Original research, then. Verboten.

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 12:32pm) *

Oh, my. I feel like a dick now. I didn't mean to leave your name out of it, but I'm also deathly afraid of being accused of meatpuppeting from someone of such high distinction. The applause thing was just a joke, though. I know relaying the information to Jimbo holds no weight against gathering the information in the first place. If you still want me to complete the job, I'll happily do so.

Yes, please... finish the job. Jimbo needs to know that he's addressing the concerns of a "troll" that he himself "banned".
Infomercial
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 28th December 2010, 10:54pm) *

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 12:32pm) *

Yes, please... finish the job. Jimbo needs to know that he's addressing the concerns of a "troll" that he himself "banned".

Alright. I'm not sure what Jim is capable of yet, so I did word it kind of ambiguously, but I tried to incorporate everything you asked of me, and hope to get a response that satisfies both of us, if possible.
Doc glasgow
I'm just wondering how long before my removal of a BLP violation is reverted on the grounds I'm proxying for the very evil Greg Kohs?

Maybe that's the way to libel people: add bad stuff; get banned for other reasons; point out the bad stuff on WR and ask for removal; no one can remove it without being banned as a proxy.
thekohser
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 29th December 2010, 5:19am) *

I'm just wondering how long before my removal of a BLP violation is reverted on the grounds I'm proxying for the very evil Greg Kohs?

Maybe that's the way to libel people: add bad stuff; get banned for other reasons; point out the bad stuff on WR and ask for removal; no one can remove it without being banned as a proxy.

I can't find the specific post, but about a year ago, I noted here on WR that it seemed any COI editing that I've discovered and been the first to point out, typically gets a "strong keep" response from the Wikipedia cultists. I have a sort of powerful inverse effect on Wikipedia content. If I like it, it gets deleted. If I don't like it (or pretend not to like it), it gets preserved.
thekohser
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 11:27pm) *

Alright. I'm not sure what Jim is capable of yet, so I did word it kind of ambiguously, but I tried to incorporate everything you asked of me, and hope to get a response that satisfies both of us, if possible.

Looks like Johnuniq is another of those "Jimbo Talk Page butt-wipers" whose answer will provide Jimmy plenty of cover, so that he need not feel obligated to answer.

Oh, and Infomercial... I notice you took an interest in updating the list of wikis with more current info. Perhaps you could do me a favor and proxy in some stats on the Wikipedia Review portion of that list?
Infomercial
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 29th December 2010, 9:42am) *

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 11:27pm) *

Looks like Johnuniq is another of those "Jimbo Talk Page butt-wipers" whose answer will provide Jimmy plenty of cover, so that he need not feel obligated to answer.

Oh, and Infomercial... I notice you took an interest in updating the list of wikis with more current info. Perhaps you could do me a favor and proxy in some stats on the Wikipedia Review portion of that list?

No problem, and I hope things are cool between us now. I'd hate for it to come back to me if I ever start a business myself someday.
thekohser
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Wed 29th December 2010, 12:00pm) *

No problem, and I hope things are cool between us now. I'd hate for it to come back to me if I ever start a business myself someday.

I have no idea who you are, so I'm not sure why you're worrying.

Whoops, it looks like we have someone who doesn't realize that Wikipedia Review has "articles" in a namespace called "Directory", which doesn't get picked up in the usual Mediawiki stats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.