Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia's take on bowl games
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
thekohser
I think it's really cool how if you go to the Wikipedia article about the Rose Bowl, if you look in the bottom of the infobox, there are links to the 2010 matchup and the 2011 matchup; but if you click those links, they don't take you to the 2010 Rose Bowl or the 2011 Rose Bowl articles!

It's also that way for the Fiesta Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, etc., etc.

Must be very helpful for the thousands of readers a day who open those articles!

Wikipedia: always improving, and quickly.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 29th December 2010, 5:50pm) *

I think it's really cool how if you go to the Wikipedia article about the Rose Bowl, if you look in the bottom of the infobox, there are links to the 2010 matchup and the 2011 matchup; but if you click those links, they don't take you to the 2010 Rose Bowl or the 2011 Rose Bowl articles!

Blame the shitty template design, but the desired articles are hidden behind the texts "OSU 26 Ore 17" and "January 1, 2011".

Also blame the fact that sports articles suffer from the pervasive "links are meant to catch readers off-guard" paradigm more than others I've seen. Following a link that says "California" one expects to find the state or possibly the main UC–Berkeley article depending on context. Readers looking for an overly specific target such as 2010 California Golden Bears football team won't be looking for it there, any more than they'd click on "December" mid-sentence expecting to find December 2010 in sports.

Fixing the rose-bowl issue would require cleaning up the link syntax inside the template, changes to which will still affect your not-so-permanent permalink… just so you know.
thekohser
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 29th December 2010, 1:34pm) *

Fixing the rose-bowl issue would require cleaning up the link syntax inside the template, changes to which will still affect your not-so-permanent permalink… just so you know.

Damn those semi-permanent permalinks!

evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.