Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theoretical question about vandalism
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Peter Damian
I imagine that when a naughty vandalism account (I mean subtle vandalism, like changing the dates of historical events, changing the names of characters and so on) is discovered, all the edits get removed by some mechanism.

And idea: an account that makes 4 bad edits. A second account that comes in, reverts the bad edits to good ones, then makes 8 bad edits. A third account that reverts those 8, and makes 16 bad ones.

And so on. Some method of automating this would have to be found. Then any good vandal-hunter who reverts the work of any of these accounts, has now reverted back a third of the edits to bad ones. They could technically undo this by uncovering the other accounts, but it would be a lot of work - and after all the point of all this would be to create such an administrative burden that Wikipedia would finally abandon the policy of 'anyone can edit' to a more sensible one.

How do bot accounts work? Does any techie wizard here have some sample programs?

All theoretical of course - the Damian brand is to cause disruption by strictly legitimate and constructive means.
Jon Awbrey
I think you are describing the SlimVirginBot for Polymerase Chain Reaction POV pushing.

Jon tongue.gif
Peter Damian
Ah silly me there is a Wikipedia article about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Creating_a_bot
thekohser
I love the dreamers of Martingale systems.

The problem would come about in that no one person would want to be the one who has to make 32 or 64 edits, just to prove a point.

Especially troublesome is the fact that Wikipedians don't even care if their articles are wrong, or look like crap, even when you point them out and rub their noses in it. As long as they were crafted mostly with love under a Free Culture system, they adore their crap, and they revere their most stupid of admins who restore crap that's been sanitized.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 5th January 2011, 1:08pm) *

I think you are describing the SlimVirginBot for Polymerase Chain Reaction POV pushing.

Jon tongue.gif

With patented proteins from extremophiles.™

http://www.pcrstation.com/pcr-polymerases/
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 5th January 2011, 5:43pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 5th January 2011, 1:08pm) *

Jon tongue.gif

With patented proteins from extremophiles.™

http://www.pcrstation.com/pcr-polymerases/

Like I said b4, “e-colinoscopy” is the namete of the gamete in Wikiputia …

Jon tongue.gif
Infomercial
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 5th January 2011, 3:05pm) *

and after all the point of all this would be to create such an administrative burden that Wikipedia would finally abandon the policy of 'anyone can edit' to a more sensible one.

I wouldn't see the point in any of that, considering the 'anyone can edit' policy is rarely ever enforced as one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.