Some poor sap noticed that one of John Reed's sockpuppets was, well, one of John Reed's sockpuppets and started to cull some of the more egregious self-promotion.
User:Lyltry

In the past, User:Lyltry has been very active in editing John Reed (novelist) and his book Snowball's Chance. He has edited other pages, but these edits were all with the purpose to make mr. Reed and his book look good. Thus, I believe that User:Lyltry is mr. Reed himself. Is there anything I can/should do to? At the moment I am already reverting some of his edits, but is there more that could be done?~(by the way, the same goes for User:Profgregory)Jeff5102 (talk) 22:33, 9 March 2011 (UTC)
You may be right. You could talk to the two individuals on their talk pages and ask them, and point them to WP:COI. As the one last contributed in 2009 and the other in 2008, I don't think there's a problem here that needs any activity whatsoever right now. For the avoidance of doubt, you should revert based on the quality of the edit not on the (supposed) identity of the author. --Tagishsimon (talk) 22:55, 9 March 2011 (UTC)
OK. But I will delete all the too obvious self-promotion.Jeff5102 (talk) 14:05, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
I think you will find that User:Vanguard121 has a similar editing pattern. Someone was clearly using sockpuppets to promote John Reed (novelist). Nonetheless, speculating as to the owner of those accounts may be in violation of WP:OUTING. Delicious carbuncle (talk) 23:00, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
This thread and the actions of Jeff5102 are inappropriate. I know John Reed and asked him about this last night, and he confirmed the account is not him. Taking a 2 or 3 year old account and deciding years later that it's a sockpuppet of a biography subject (with no hard evidence, no WP:COI nor WP:SPI cases filed), removing all of its edits not based on their substance but based on this suspicion while falsely WP:OUTING that person in edits summaries for their schools and topics related to their work violates policy. There are many, many accounts where only one subject is of interest to the editor, and that is not the criterion we use to decide an account is a sockpuppet; doing so not only violates OUTING but also WP:NPA, another policy, which in a nutshell is "Comment on the content, not on the contributor." Since my use of one of Reed's books as a source was removed from Juana Barraza, this seems to be more a case of WP:HARASS with Jeff5102 looking at "What links here" on the John Reed (novelist) article and trying to remove as many instances as possible of mentions about this person on articles Jeff5102 has never touched before. We should expect better of our editors than this kind of behavior, which violated several policies. --David Shankbone 14:20, 12 March 2011 (UTC)

I guess SHankbone asked for this to be oversighted, since someone came along and did this. This was all discussed some time ago on WR, with all the evidence that most people would need to conclude that it was Reed.