Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tom Driberg
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
lilburne
The comment here on SV's talk page was interesting.

Hi, Slim, do you remember this unsavoury character?

To SV's credit she seems to have kept clear of it.

Yes dear old Tom Driberg was homosexual, there wasn't anyone that knew him that didn't know. But just to make sure that no misses out on that part of his character, the article tries to get a mention of the fact in every paragraph.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(lilburne @ Sun 27th March 2011, 4:42am) *

The comment here on SV's talk page was interesting.

Hi, Slim, do you remember this unsavoury character?

To SV's credit she seems to have kept clear of it.

Yes dear old Tom Driberg was homosexual, there wasn't anyone that knew him that didn't know. But just to make sure that no misses out on that part of his character, the article tries to get a mention of the fact in every paragraph.
I a bit surprised that she didn't jump in, because Driberg reminds me of Slim's beloved role models, the Cambridge Apostles.
lilburne
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 27th March 2011, 4:03pm) *

I a bit surprised that she didn't jump in, because Driberg reminds me of Slim's beloved role models, the Cambridge Apostles.

That could be explained by Driberg having been at Oxford.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(lilburne @ Sun 27th March 2011, 10:06am) *

Do the weirdo bohemian spooks in the UK have college rivalries?
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 27th March 2011, 8:40pm) *

Do you mean 'college rivalries' or 'university rivalries'? I.e. as in the rivalry between Pembroke College with Christ Church? Or as in the rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge? There are all sorts of rivalries. Different public schools. Grammar vs public school, North vs South and so on.
lilburne
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 27th March 2011, 8:40pm) *

In the 1930s? You betcha!

I remember there was a theory as to why Cambridge was ripe for Communist infiltration and not Oxford. It had something to do with a particular set of Dons at the time.

Anyway the company I work for employs a large number of people with PhDs in maths or theoretical physics, they are almost all from Cambridge or Durham, but even the Durham ones have Cambridge connections.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.